Summer 2014 - What would you do?

KJT123

June 1st 2014. We have just been taken over by a US Billionaire. Paul Lambert has been relieved of his duties and the owner has decided to make YOU manager. You have been given a transfer budget of £100m without any wage restrictions.

In my opinion, we have a dozen players that we need to be building this club around: Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Delph, Bacuna, Benteke.

The rest of the squad can either be decent rotational options, good back ups, or sold.

The first thing I would be ensuring is that we have a short term replacement for Benteke, perhaps a half season loan. I know we have a surplus of strikers, but with respect, I don't think Kozak or any of our other strikers for that matter have the firepower of Benteke.

What would you do?

If the money was there to offer big deals I'd look at Lukaku and Hamsik as potential 'star' signings, Fernando on a free transfer. David Gill appointed in place of Faulkner and Meulensteen as our new head coach or head of footballing operations, whatever they want to call it.

More signings obviously but preferably under 25 with bright futures.

Find a miracle cure for Benteke.

I think one of the most exciting things about the takeover is the potential of keeping benteke long term and getting quality around him.

Or selling him and not worrying about it  :D

Look to bring in players like William Carvalho from Sporting... Young players who are showing promise in other leagues... It would be the best way for us to go, just my opinion!

Edited by Mattyp_avfc
  • Like 2

If the rumours about millions being pumped in I'd get a spine of players who we know can perform at this level. That would be Milner, Lallana, Bertrand, Coleman, Lukaku. Nzonzi. Then go for some highly rated young players from other leagues combined with delph Vlaar and benteke :).... I can dream

Edited by Tezvilla
  • Like 1

I'd definitely get Barry on a free regardless of what happens with finances. Exactly the kind of midfielder we need and some much needed experience.

Stick milner in beside him too, with delph the other cm. That'd be everything we don't have right now

As we have to be realistic about who we could get in this situation you have to accept some players you buy will be a waste long term, kind of like when MON brought Harewood.

With this in mind, I would imagine (not taking players wages into account and players that are known to all of us) I would look at buying.

Bertrand, Ashley Williams, Micah Richards, Milner, Dembele, Young and Nani.

I would imagine that lot would cost around 70m but you never know maybe 100m

Would fill all our holes in the team and have us finishing 7th I would imagine and then build from there.

Anything left over can go on building the approved plans on the North Stand we have had for years.