$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Fair enough but to win things you have to seriously spend money and that brings the profit down if there is any at all. It's one thing getting for 6th and a whole other game getting to 1st

Do you know how many shirts Villa sell?

Do you know how many shirts Man Utd sell?

Similarly the advertising and marketing deals are worlds apart.  There's money to be made from the Premier League if you do it right.

Shirt sales are paltry compared to what most people think. United sell about 1.4 million shirts a year, of that, they make about £2 from shirts sold by third parties, and £15 sold in the club shop. The money, as you say, is in sponsorship, which increases based on brand visibility, rather than shirt sales

I'll not get into a debate on the quantities or values, but I think you'd be surprised at how high the sales figures are and the profit made through the club shop.  Certainly, though, shirt sales has a knock-on effect to the sponsorship deals.  Whoever wins the Utd contract this summer will be paying a minimum of £600m over 10 years.  Plus they've managed to sell separate sponsor deals for kit and training.

Fair enough but to win things you have to seriously spend money and that brings the profit down if there is any at all. It's one thing getting for 6th and a whole other game getting to 1st

Similarly the advertising and marketing deals are worlds apart.  There's money to be made from the Premier League if you do it right.

Shirt sales are paltry compared to what most people think. United sell about 1.4 million shirts a year, of that, they make about £2 from shirts sold by third parties, and £15 sold in the club shop. The money, as you say, is in sponsorship, which increases based on brand visibility, rather than shirt sales

I'll not get into a debate on the quantities or values, but I think you'd be surprised at how high the sales figures are and the profit made through the club shop.  Certainly, though, shirt sales has a knock-on effect to the sponsorship deals.  Whoever wins the Utd contract this summer will be paying a minimum of £600m over 10 years.  Plus they've managed to sell separate sponsor deals for kit and training.

The sales figures are as I said above. Man U sell more than anyone else in the world, and the latest available figures for their shirt sales were 1.5m in 2012/13. The cut the club gets from sales is also as mentioned above, around £2 per jersey sold outside official streams, and in or around £15 sold through official channels. The most a club like United would make from shirt sales (just kits, not counting any of the other stuff, mind) is around £22.5m, but  it's most likely somewhere around half that. That is very little all things considered.

Sponsors aren't paying to get their name on a jersey Joe Bloggs is wearing down the pub on a Tuesday night, they're paying to get it on the back cover of every newspaper in the world, on every bit of promotion the club does and on matches watched by millions every week. I doubt they could care about whether United sell 1.5m jerseys again this season, or if it dips down to 1.2m - just like United won't particularly care.

Similarly the advertising and marketing deals are worlds apart. There's money to be made from the Premier League if you do it right.

I'll not get into a debate on the quantities or values, but I think you'd be surprised at how high the sales figures are and the profit made through the club shop. Certainly, though, shirt sales has a knock-on effect to the sponsorship deals. Whoever wins the Utd contract this summer will be paying a minimum of £600m over 10 years. Plus they've managed to sell separate sponsor deals for kit and training.

The sales figures are as I said above. Man U sell more than anyone else in the world, and the latest available figures for their shirt sales were 1.5m in 2012/13. The cut the club gets from sales is also as mentioned above, around £2 per jersey sold outside official streams, and in or around £15 sold through official channels. The most a club like United would make from shirt sales (just kits, not counting any of the other stuff, mind) is around £22.5m, but it's most likely somewhere around half that. That is very little all things considered.

Sponsors aren't paying to get their name on a jersey Joe Bloggs is wearing down the pub on a Tuesday night, they're paying to get it on the back cover of every newspaper in the world, on every bit of promotion the club does and on matches watched by millions every week. I doubt they could care about whether United sell 1.5m jerseys again this season, or if it dips down to 1.2m - just like United won't particularly care.

Trust me when I tell you that you really would be extremely hard pushed to find anyone (and I don't just mean on here) that knows more about the kit industry than NV.

• Like 1

If Weimann said that then it sounds like he just being a little bit too honest for his own good and gave his opinion. Which in all fairness is the same as what many feel about a takeover happening.

There will be no takeover and we are doomed. DOOMED I tells ya!!!!

Relax. We are not even in June yet. It was only a few weeks ago that people were doubting if Randy was putting the club up for sale. Furthermore, Keith Harris has said there is interest in acquiring this great club. Sit back and enjoy the ride.  :)

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I would imagine Weimann knows bugger all. Either that or he is going to get a telling off for giving out info that could have a negative impact on season ticket sales.

i'm not sure that anything could be said that has not been noticed, that could have anymore adverse effect on season ticket sales.

its all as flat as a witches tit.

The sales figures are as I said above. Man U sell more than anyone else in the world, and the latest available figures for their shirt sales were 1.5m in 2012/13. The cut the club gets from sales is also as mentioned above, around £2 per jersey sold outside official streams, and in or around £15 sold through official channels. The most a club like United would make from shirt sales (just kits, not counting any of the other stuff, mind) is around £22.5m, but  it's most likely somewhere around half that. That is very little all things considered.

Not sure if I've missed something but shirt sales and sponsorship are 2 different deals. Shirt manufacturers pay clubs to wear there kits and then get a cut of shirt sales aswell. Then you'll also get the shirt sponsors. Man UTD look like getting £60m a year from Nike and they'll get £53m from Chevrolet as of next year this has nothing to do with sales just exposure. Simple thing is the better you do the more exposure you get on TV therefore being more attractive to sponsors. Shirt sales are only a small part of this.

There will be no takeover and we are doomed. DOOMED I tells ya!!!!

Relax. We are not even in June yet. It was only a few weeks ago that people were doubting if Randy was putting the club up for sale. Furthermore, Keith Harris has said there is interest in acquiring this great club. Sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

I think the club has been unofficially up for sale since the start of the year. Which is why we are DOOMED!!!

A controversial Kazakh-born property mogul has emerged as the “front-runner” to buy Aston Villa, The Independent can reveal.

Villa were formally put up for sale by their American owner, Randy Lerner, earlier this month and are expected to fetch at least £250m.

The Independent understands from a source involved in the bidding race that Tevfik Arif, founder of New York-based property firm Bayrock Group and a business associate of US billionaire Donald Trump is a “front-runner”.

Arif was arrested and questioned in October 2010 in a high-profile raid by Turkish police over claims that he supplied Russian businessmen and officials with Eastern European prostitutes for up to $10,000 a night on the Savarona, a luxury yacht originally used by Turkey’s founder Mustafa Ataturk. He was acquitted of all charges in April 2011.

Arif worked for 17 years in hotel management at the Soviet Ministry of Commerce and Trade, before developing the luxurious Labada hotel in Turkey after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Moving to the US, he partnered with Trump on a number of projects including the upmarket 46-storey Trump SoHo hotel and residential tower in New York.

The source said: “There are around six to eight interested parties and he is the front-runner. Arif and his family are serious contenders.”

If successful, he would be the first Kazakh owner of a Premier League club, although Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich owns Chelsea and Uzbekistan’s Alisher Usmanov is a major shareholder in the FA Cup winners Arsenal. Villa will need an owner with deep pockets after losing £52m in the year to May 2013.

Lerner bought Villa for £63m in 2006, buying out long-term owner Doug Ellis, who chaired the club in two spells stretching back to 1968. The club has been informally on the market for the past year, but the US billionaire officially hoisted the “for sale” board outside Villa Park on the day after the end of a disappointing season in which the team, managed by Paul Lambert, narrowly avoided relegation. Lerner said he “owed it to Villa to move on, and look for fresh, invigorated leadership, if in my heart I feel I can no longer do the job”.

Buying Villa would not be Arif’s first investment in the football world. In July last year, he was named by Bloomberg as an investor in Doyen Capital, a London-based hedge fund which has bought stakes in leading players such as Monaco’s Radamel Falcao – effectively betting on rising future transfer fees – in return for loans to cash-strapped clubs. As of April, Doyen had invested €100m (£80m) in players. It would also extend the links between Kazakhstan and the UK. Prince Andrew has made frequent visits and former prime minister Tony Blair has advised the country’s autocratic president, Nursultan Nazarbayev.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch is the investment bank handling the sale of the club. Sources did not deny the involvement of Arif in the bidding but refused to give a “running commentary on the sale process”. Arif declined to comment despite repeated attempts to reach him through Bayrock over two days. An Aston Villa spokesman declined to comment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/controversial-kazakhstan-businessman-frontrunner-to-buy-villa-9457082.html

• Like 2