$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I take it that we can not afford to buy cheap again if we are to survive and money is needed, the new people understand that , we saw them and have an understanding what we can do before the sale is completed.

May be wishful thinking but no smoke without fire.

"The new people understand the situtation..."

I don't understand what that could even mean in the context of what's being asked!?

The way I translate it is:

PM: "So, you're going to wheel and deal? You're going to buy shitty £1m players again and hope for the best?"

PL: "No. We need to spend money, we need bigger and better players"

PM: "But Randy isn't going to give you any money is he, so how will you do that?" 

PL: "It doesn't really matter what Randy thinks because he doesn't own the club anymore. The new people understand the situation, they know we need to spend money.. oh.. I mean.. no nothing is imminent right now"

• Like 3

Sounds more like "now" to me,  which fits more with what he is saying.  "But now people understand...."

People are just looking for a story that isn't there

you may be right and it is a translation issue, trouble is he definately tries to backtrack after saying it.

Sounds more like "now" to me,  which fits more with what he is saying.  "But now people understand...."

People are just looking for a story that isn't there

you may be right and it is a translation issue, trouble is he definately tries to backtrack after saying it.

I thought that too, but listen to it as well as what he says both before and after it. He is talking about players, being questioned as to how will he buy these bigger and better players if Randy isn't going to give him any money, will you wheel and deal? He says no he won't, he says we need better players. He then seemingly says, the new people understand, 'we' saw people that.. Before cutting himself off and stating no deal is imminent so until then nothing will change.

'The new people' may well be 'But now people', I suppose. He does sound like he starts to backtrack pretty quickly though.

Sigh, it's time like this I wish we had a well-spoken manager.

Edited by Ginko

Where are people hearing the word "the". To me it sounds like he's saying "now people understand" He never puts the word "the" before it to make it sound like "the new people"

Edited by Daniel

'The new people' may well be 'But now people', I suppose. 

Sigh, it's time like this I wish we had a well-spoken manager.

That's what I heard it as. Didn't really understand anything after that though.

'But now people understand.....' I thought would have been in reference to the club now officially being up for sale.

"The new people understand the situtation..."

I don't understand what that could even mean in the context of what's being asked!?

You won't enough money from Randy Lerner to get the better players the club needs...

The new people understand the situation, that more money is needed,

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I couldn't get my head around what he was trying to say.

:thumb:

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

New people means new players, understanding the situation that a new owner might bring a new manager who will want a different style and players..

My taking on it.

• Like 1

My hearing of it was "the new people" but it is hard to be certain of it given the standard of his articulation. It is difficult to make out what he is saying at the best of times.

Where are people hearing the word "the". To me it sounds like he's saying "now people understand" He never puts the word "the" before it to make it sound like "the new people"

There's definitely a syllable before he says 'new/now'. Whether it's 'the' or something else is a mystery though, he runs it together too quickly to pick it out for certain.

Edited by Ginko

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27485242

Listen to what he said at the 3:00 mark.

The more telling part for me is at 3:27

Pat Murphy asks :  "Can i just get this right then.As you understand from Randy Lerner, there's nothing imminent, there's no concrete bidder?"

Lambert :  "It's only been up for sale a week, since the statement came out. It;s not as if you are selling a car or a house, you are selling something that's incredible really, and so i don't know how quick these things happen. Yeah, as i say it's my job   to  make this club the best it can be while im here. You need to spend a hell of a lot of money to stand still. But that's the division you are in. It's better being in this division than the one below."

So he didn't reply : "There is no concrete bidder" or "There is definately nothing imminent". He also starts to go off topic about spending and being in the premiership.