$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I'm surprised the thread is still there. I would've thought that it would've been removed from existence with anybody mentioning it receiving a lifetime ban. Gotta keep up the cult of Admin and all.

• Like 1

Cowans doesn't want the job, if you honestly think another manager will come in under the current predicament, you are deluding yourself.

Please read my post again. I'm not advocating a new man to come in under the present circumstances but someone to hold the fort until until we get a new owner and I'm sure if asked as a matter of urgency Cowans would step up.

Do you know for certain Cowans would step up? Fans who are close to Cowans has said he doesn't fancy being the boss. Have you seen the scenario that happened at Wolves and Nowich? Both employed coaches as the main man and both got relegated.

No you are right. I don't know for sure. I'm basing my opinion on Cowans having claret and blue blood running through his veins and if called upon in an emergency just for an interim period then I would hope he would do it.

How did the new Swansea manager do? Was it not in the second half of the season that Wolves and Norwich employed those new managers when the damage was already done? One would hope that Cowans would only only be in the managerial position during the summer and if needed pre season before a new owner could be found.

Re TrentVilla. You could be right that it is a terrible idea to have Cowans as interim manager and I have no evidence to suggest otherwise but really my point is that I don't think Lambert walking or being sacked would be as damaging to the club as some might think.

Swansea manager had better players didn't he? They were also struggling until they played us.

I don't get this fear of Lambert walking I really don't. We are not in Europe next season so no preparation is needed. Lambert has been a dead man walking for most of the season as his recent record would suggest and should that warrant any clamour at all to keep him? Look at our general performance level under him in the run in does that show that the players give a **** whether Lambert is at the club next season or are people still wanting to keep Lambert due to the continuity debate?

If he walks which he won't and should actually be sacked then Cowans I'm sure is more than capable to keep the club ticking over even into the start of next season until a buyer and then a new manager can be brought in who might even, shock horror get better performances out of the players Lambert has signed.

The concern is valid imo.

If Lambert goes and the takeover isn't 'imminent' then I for one would be very worried about next season.

To suggest Cowans could step into the breach for a whole season is a huge gamble. If it were a team full of Villa fans then fine, but it isn't and the players (possibly Gabby/Alby aside) wont give a flying **** if he is a Villa legend or not - there is nothing to suggest he could/would do a better job than Lambert.

The only way I could see it working would be if the club brought someone like Graham Taylor in to provide some guidance/support behind the scenes.

like him or not PL has kept us up for the past two seasons and with a bit more luck and a couple of decent players, I'd wager he is more than capable of doing the same next year.

Cowans would be a huge gamble and if it went wrong we would have nowhere to go (again assuming club still under RL control and seeking a buyer)

if Lambert walks/gets sacked with no new owner on the immediate horizon it would be a very worrying time.

also, just interested - what has not being in Europe got to do with new season prep? surely you have to plan/prepare for the PL?!

I haven't suggested Cowans being our manager for the whole season. I have suggested him as an interim manager throughout the summer and pre-season and at the start of the season if needed which hopefully by that time new owners will be in place to bring their own man in. I do agree though that it would be much more of a gamble to have Cowans as manager for the whole season but that's not what I'm putting forward.

If we had qualified for the Europa League then as you know players would have had to come back earlier.

But you are basing it on only being a short period, no one but Randy knows what is going on and how long this period, and if a takeover was anywhere near I believe PL would have gone.

• Like 1

No you are right. I don't know for sure. I'm basing my opinion on Cowans having claret and blue blood running through his veins and if called upon in an emergency just for an interim period then I would hope he would do it.

How did the new Swansea manager do? Was it not in the second half of the season that Wolves and Norwich employed those new managers when the damage was already done? One would hope that Cowans would only only be in the managerial position during the summer and if needed pre season before a new owner could be found.

Re TrentVilla. You could be right that it is a terrible idea to have Cowans as interim manager and I have no evidence to suggest otherwise but really my point is that I don't think Lambert walking or being sacked would be as damaging to the club as some might think.

He has a win % ratio worse than Paul Lambert with a much better team.  Is this really the basis to sack our manager and replace him with Cowans?

Come on, man...

Nice little swerve there away from the original question I was replying to.

The poster presented two examples of where an interim manager had relegated their teams and were employed by their clubs in the second half of the season when most of the damage had been already done.

I replyed by using the new Swansea manager as an example where using an interim manager can prove to be much less than disastrous which was a valid comparison.

Not arsed about the new owners or how much money they have. The manger is everything though, they need to get that right. Liverpool's owners did....jeez many of them were saying at the time when we both were in the market that we had got a better deal getting Lambert!

Diego Simeone - what a coup for Atletcio who operate on a budget very similar to ours. Atletico have been traditionally one of the worst ran clubs in football and still owe plenty to the Spanish tax man. 

Manager more important than the owners are their money folks. The manager trumps all.

Not wishing to drag up very old posts, but I couldn't let this go when all available statistical evidence suggests this is the exact opposite of the truth. 

He has a win % ratio worse than Paul Lambert with a much better team.  Is this really the basis to sack our manager and replace him with Cowans?

Come on, man...

The poster presented two examples of where an interim manager had relegated their teams and were employed by their clubs in the second half of the season when most of the damage had been already done.

I replyed by using the new Swansea manager as an example where using an interim manager can prove to be much less than disastrous which was a valid comparison.

Swansea were never really in relegation trouble (I assume there must've been a falling out with Laudrup) and Monk's record really isn't that good at all.  He hasn't had to compete in the Europa League during his reign thus far either.  Not sure this validates your point nor makes a good enough basis for Cowans being in charge.

Cowans doesn't want the job, if you honestly think another manager will come in under the current predicament, you are deluding yourself.

Please read my post again. I'm not advocating a new man to come in under the present circumstances but someone to hold the fort until until we get a new owner and I'm sure if asked as a matter of urgency Cowans would step up.

Do you know for certain Cowans would step up? Fans who are close to Cowans has said he doesn't fancy being the boss. Have you seen the scenario that happened at Wolves and Nowich? Both employed coaches as the main man and both got relegated.

Swansea manager had better players didn't he? They were also struggling until they played us.

And even if Swansea do have better players than us who is to blame for that and who was our manager when they played us.

Also the better player argument was refuted by Pulis.

Edited by shaggy

No you are right. I don't know for sure. I'm basing my opinion on Cowans having claret and blue blood running through his veins and if called upon in an emergency just for an interim period then I would hope he would do it.How did the new Swansea manager do? Was it not in the second half of the season that Wolves and Norwich employed those new managers when the damage was already done? One would hope that Cowans would only only be in the managerial position during the summer and if needed pre season before a new owner could be found.

Come on, man...

Swansea were never really in relegation trouble (I assume there must've been a falling out with Laudrup) and Monk's record really isn't that good at all.  He hasn't had to compete in the Europa League during his reign thus far either.  Not sure this validates your point nor makes a good enough basis for Cowans being in charge.

My point is valid due to Swansea being in the same circumstances as ourselves needing points to secure Premiership status and they achieved that with an interim manager who has done well enough to secure the job full time. That is as valid a comparison as you are going to get.

Not arsed about the new owners or how much money they have. The manger is everything though, they need to get that right. Liverpool's owners did....jeez many of them were saying at the time when we both were in the market that we had got a better deal getting Lambert!

Diego Simeone - what a coup for Atletcio who operate on a budget very similar to ours. Atletico have been traditionally one of the worst ran clubs in football and still owe plenty to the Spanish tax man. 

Manager more important than the owners are their money folks. The manager trumps all.

Not wishing to drag up very old posts, but I couldn't let this go when all available statistical evidence suggests this is the exact opposite of the truth. 

Yes! Especially in the Prem! Athlethi are the exception rather than the rule

• Like 1

This petty bollox as to which forum is the best is quite boring ,

Trent vs admin .who cares ? People will always make up shit and we will find out in the end who's talking rubbish then you can choose who to believe or not believe. The bottom line is we are all Villa fans hoping for the best not toddlers fighting over our toys .

• Like 2

Whoever our new owners are I hope they dont mess with our colours ( eg Cardiff ) I would hate to watch Aston Villa playing in blue and yellow stripes with green sox and red shorts.

• Like 1

Just noticed we have put a full page advert in the metro saying how great we are.

We are touting for business...

Yes on the Guardian's football weekly podcast, Barry mentioned that the press had been given a glossy booklet extolling the virtues of AVFC - Michael Owen-eske 

This worries me a lot

Why do we always get the impression (rightly or wrongly) that we are run like a three ring circus with the clowns in charge of proceedings?

Because of all the whining children in the audience?

Wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

Just noticed we have put a full page advert in the metro saying how great we are.

We are touting for business...

Yes on the Guardian's football weekly podcast, Barry mentioned that the press had been given a glossy booklet extolling the virtues of AVFC - Michael Owen-eske

This worries me a lot

The for sale statement on the official website.. may just be that... a for sale statement. No hidden message.