Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

I've chosen to watch 2 episodes at a time and it makes it so much better to watch.  I was so bored watching 1 every week last season yet was so immersed in it when I bulk watched it.  I think it helps if you have not read the book as you are not waiting for big events to happen and you are happy for it to just play out.

More and more people resort to bulk watching GoT due to the extreme fragmentation and this is really the best way to do it. Surely at some point the producers would have to think about what to do with it as it'll likely lose audience when airing weekly episodes. 

Some shows draw energy from the anticipation between episodes, True Detective being the main example. It inspired so many comments and theories all over the internet and this worked great for the show, but GoT is different in this respect and going in the opposite direction. ( Depending on your POV though, you might think the surprising interest in TD and the extreme amount of discussions ultimately made the final look quite weak, very CSI-like, after an awesome build up and it disappointed a lot of people )

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

Edit: @MV

I disagree. Once Lost decided it was ending then stuff actually started happening.

It wasn't amazing stuff, but the point is they stopped producing episodes of filler and actually steered the show towards an ending.

GoT has a much better story overall so I think once it does start to wrap up it will be good. 

At the moment it feels like we're just meandering along and going nowhere. There might be something they're all building towards but it's taking a HELL of a long time to get there

Edited by Stevo985

I just don't get why they feel the need to add rape scenes. As someone on the interwebs pointed out, the Mad Max film managed to tackle sex slavery without rape scenes. It isn't handled well at all. It's just a shock for shock's sake. It's lazy writing, it's gratuitous, and it's not the first time they've done it either.

Just... ugh.

From what I've read, the books get away with scenes like that because you get the impression GRRM takes misogyny and sexual violence seriously. I don't think the show writers do. I think they think they do, but the evidence suggests that what drives their writing is a desire to shock more than anything.

4 episodes to redeem themselves, or I'll just pack it in and read the books and hope for the best.

A thousand times this. 

I have no idea why they included that scene. It  doesn't have a character development function, it adds very little to the plot beyond the

snapping Theon out of his Reek persona

and actually removes any agency they had been building with Sansa for the last few episodes. Its there solely for shock value in a pathetic attempt to be "edgy" 

We know Ramsey is an arsehole. Season 3 of solid torture and emasculating Theon taught us that. We know Sansa gets **** over - a lot. We know Theon is too terrified of Ramsey to intervene. Even the obvious best case scenario pay off

Sansa kills Ramsey during a subsequent rape attempt dropping the line "The North Remembers" in a merging of her and the Lady Stoneheart character

didn't require this additional motivation. 

I really thought with the opportunities that the TV has to be more efficient over AFFC they'd have done a better job than what they've served up so far. This is easily the worst season of the show. 

I thought the scene was handled well, with a little horror as it was possible to show.  Obviously unpleasant, but the worst appeared off camera, and as someone that knew a scene like that was coming, then I think we got off very lightly.

• Like 1

I'd go along with that Wainy. I think it had to happen as part of the story and that's about as un-graphic as they could have made it without just not showing it at all and just mentioning it as an afterthought.

I certainly wasn't shocked by anything more than how horrible it would be in general.

As with a lot of this stuff in GoT, as long as it's portrayed as wrong then I have no problem with it. They are in no way glorifying it

I just don't get why they feel the need to add rape scenes. As someone on the interwebs pointed out, the Mad Max film managed to tackle sex slavery without rape scenes. It isn't handled well at all. It's just a shock for shock's sake. It's lazy writing, it's gratuitous, and it's not the first time they've done it either.

Just... ugh.

From what I've read, the books get away with scenes like that because you get the impression GRRM takes misogyny and sexual violence seriously. I don't think the show writers do. I think they think they do, but the evidence suggests that what drives their writing is a desire to shock more than anything.

4 episodes to redeem themselves, or I'll just pack it in and read the books and hope for the best.

A thousand times this. 

I have no idea why they included that scene. It  doesn't have a character development function, it adds very little to the plot beyond the

and actually removes any agency they had been building with Sansa for the last few episodes. Its there solely for shock value in a pathetic attempt to be "edgy" 

We know Ramsey is an arsehole. Season 3 of solid torture and emasculating Theon taught us that. We know Sansa gets **** over - a lot. We know Theon is too terrified of Ramsey to intervene. Even the obvious best case scenario pay off

Sansa kills Ramsey during a subsequent rape attempt dropping the line "The North Remembers" in a merging of her and the Lady Stoneheart character

I really thought with the opportunities that the TV has to be more efficient over AFFC they'd have done a better job than what they've served up so far. This is easily the worst season of the show. 

I thought the scene was handled well, with a little horror as it was possible to show.  Obviously unpleasant, but the worst appeared off camera, and as someone that knew a scene like that was coming, then I think we got off very lightly.

I agree that we know from the books that it could have been worse that is hardly a reason to show it. "we could have included the dog sex - so think yourselves lucky you just got an unnecessary rape scene hardly justifies its inclusion. 

Just... ugh.

A thousand times this.

I have no idea why they included that scene. It doesn't have a character development function, it adds very little to the plot beyond the

I thought the scene was handled well, with a little horror as it was possible to show. Obviously unpleasant, but the worst appeared off camera, and as someone that knew a scene like that was coming, then I think we got off very lightly.

I agree that we know from the books that it could have been worse that is hardly a reason to show it. "we could have included the dog sex - so think yourselves lucky you just got an unnecessary rape scene hardly justifies its inclusion.

But it wasn't unnecessary, it was important for the mind sets of all three characters. I understand rape seems to be on a pedestal compared to other horrors but obviously Benioff and Weiss feel this way too by having it off camera.

I think it had to happen as part of the story and that's about as un-graphic as they could have made it without just not showing it at all and just mentioning it as an afterthought.

What does it add to the story that we didn't already know? 

And does that benefit outweigh the removal of any agency that they have developed in Sansa so far this season. She doesn't need the additional motivation to do what she is clearly going to do. The Boltons murdered her mother and brother. They work(ed) for the family that executed her father. She has all the motivation a character will ever need for revenge. 

Wait, so what happened in the books for that scene?

In a nutshell

It doesn't exist in the books. Sansa never goes to Winterfell and is never married to Ramsey Bolton. 

The books use a proxy character Jeyne Poole - one of Sansa's childhood friends who the Bolton's pretend is Arya Stark. She is horribly abused by Ramsey (and Theon/Reek) and is eventually freed by Theon when he snaps out of his weird fugue state. Sansa is with Littlefinger at the Eyrie as far as the Books tell us. 

Just... ugh.

A thousand times this.

I have no idea why they included that scene. It doesn't have a character development function, it adds very little to the plot beyond the

I thought the scene was handled well, with a little horror as it was possible to show. Obviously unpleasant, but the worst appeared off camera, and as someone that knew a scene like that was coming, then I think we got off very lightly.

But it wasn't unnecessary, it was important for the mind sets of all three characters. I understand rape seems to be on a pedestal compared to other horrors but obviously Benioff and Weiss feel this way too by having it off camera.

Is it though? Like I said - we know Ramsey is an arse, we know Sansa gets **** over by people more powerful than her. I accept it develops Theon/Reek but not enough for me to offset the damage it does to Sansa's portrayal in the show. 

For me, the build up showed how Sansa wasn't aware of Ramsey's dickness. We were aware, but she wasn't.

That total change from him as soon as they were married was important IMO.

I think it had to happen as part of the story and that's about as un-graphic as they could have made it without just not showing it at all and just mentioning it as an afterthought.

What does it add to the story that we didn't already know? 

And does that benefit outweigh the removal of any agency that they have developed in Sansa so far this season. She doesn't need the additional motivation to do what she is clearly going to do. The Boltons murdered her mother and brother. They work(ed) for the family that executed her father. She has all the motivation a character will ever need for revenge. 

I didn't see it as anything to do with Sansa really, apart from her not knowing how much of an evil bastard Ramsey was. Is it not more to do with Theon?

Bear in mind I haven't read the books so...

assuming this is going to snap him out of his trance, along with potential forgiveness from Sansa, and it was Sansa getting raped that causes that to happen in the story, then surely they had to show something?

And that was about as little as they could show. 

The other option was to just mention it in passing "oh that was terrible when you raped Sansa last night"

If it's part of the story then I'm not sure how they could have done it any other way really. If it's not part of the story and they've just inserted that element of it, then that's slightly different.

Just... ugh.

A thousand times this.

Is it though? Like I said - we know Ramsey is an arse, we know Sansa gets **** over by people more powerful than her. I accept it develops Theon/Reek but not enough for me to offset the damage it does to Sansa's portrayal in the show.

How else are they meant to show Sansa is having a terrible time there? The last couple of episodes Ramsey has been more courteous, especially when with Sansa, it needed to show that he's still a full on dick and it did that with minimal on camera horror.

They didn't just turn away from the act, they focused on Theon's face and reaction. Sansa's rape therefore became a plot device in Theon's story. They stripped her of all agency to lay the groundwork for a redemption story.

A misjudged scene in so many ways.

This explains it so much better than I am. :clap: 

Â