Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

Is it me or did they do a really shitty job of explaining why Cersei gave the religious police their powers back?

Is it me or did they do a really shitty job of explaining why Cersei gave the religious police their powers back?

Yes. Big time. The only explicit reason was to get yer gay brother in jail to piss on Queen Hottie's chips. Also just assumed it was a power trip thing.

Maybe I missed something.

Yes. Big time. The only explicit reason was to get yer gay brother in jail to piss on Queen Hottie's chips. Also just assumed it was a power trip thing.

Not really a book spoiler but I'll tag it anyway, even if it is strongly implied in the show:

The crown are up to their eyes in debt.  It's been a thing since season one when Littlefinger was master of coin.  They spent quite a bit of time talking about it immediately before Cersei met with the High Sparrow* to the point where she sent Mace Tyrell off to the Iron Bank of Braavos to renegotiate terms (and isolate Margery from her friends/family) but they owe almost as much money to the church as they do to the bank.  In the source material there is a section about how Cersei gives the religious police their power back in exchange for them writing off the debt.  She feels quite smug about how she is solving problems, blissfully unaware of how she really should be careful what she wishes for.  I don't get why they excluded that from the show because it could be done with a couple of lines of dialogue and it hammers home both Cersei's arrogance and the fact that it's really her dad who held all the power that House Lannister could project onto others.  Instead they went for something which struck me as confusing. Odd choice from the writers. 

*is it me or does he really look like Gyles Brandreth? I actually had to google the cast listing to make sure it wasn't...

I think, what they're doing, is trying to get it all wrapped up in the next two or three years. Shortcuts and new material aplenty.

Anyway, there was an interesting focus on/hint toward Jon Snow's parentage this week (from what I remember).

I get the impression that this season will end with something significant that has not yet occurred in the books.

I think, what they're doing, is trying to get it all wrapped up in the next two or three years. Shortcuts and new material aplenty.

Anyway, there was an interesting focus on/hint toward Jon Snow's parentage this week (from what I remember).

I get the impression that this season will end with something significant that has not yet occurred in the books.

probably best if no one clicks the spoiler 

that jon sugghhhhh is actually a targaryen,the end product of the lyanna stark rape?

Not really a book spoiler but I'll tag it anyway, even if it is strongly implied in the show:

The crown are up to their eyes in debt. It's been a thing since season one when Littlefinger was master of coin. They spent quite a bit of time talking about it immediately before Cersei met with the High Sparrow* to the point where she sent Mace Tyrell off to the Iron Bank of Braavos to renegotiate terms (and isolate Margery from her friends/family) but they owe almost as much money to the church as they do to the bank. In the source material there is a section about how Cersei gives the religious police their power back in exchange for them writing off the debt. She feels quite smug about how she is solving problems, blissfully unaware of how she really should be careful what she wishes for. I don't get why they excluded that from the show because it could be done with a couple of lines of dialogue and it hammers home both Cersei's arrogance and the fact that it's really her dad who held all the power that House Lannister could project onto others. Instead they went for something which struck me as confusing. Odd choice from the writers.

*is it me or does he really look like Gyles Brandreth? I actually had to google the cast listing to make sure it wasn't...

To be honest no, none of that was even hinted at re the church.

Yep. Massively.

Guy in my office told me a "rumour" the other week about Jon Snow which I'm quickly discovering probably wasn't a rumour and was just a big fat spoiler.

Meditating a bit on R + L = J. If that's the case Jon still has no right to the throne because he would still be a bastard. Just not Ned Stark's bastard. Danny still has the better claim to the throne so its not an automatic thing.

I'm still convinced that 3 of the living Stark kids with living Direwolves (Brann, Arya and Jon Snow) will all become Wargs and use them to control Danny's dragons to defeat the White Walkers. That could lead to a "Targaryen restoration" perhaps with Jon marrying Sansa?

Danny I'm afraid is going to die. You just know Martin has the stones to do it.

Edited by Eames

But what if Rhaegar secretly married Lyanna and some long lost documentation of that in, say, the Winterfell crypts is what blows open the revelation that Jon Snow is legit?

Â