Missing planes

tonyh29

Was talking to an ex copper last night who was telling me how easy it was to 'ping' an individual mobile phone to find an individual. Surely this would be a good option to find any of the bodies/survivors/plane.

Not if they're 3km down on the ocean bed

So you know where they are then? :suspect:

Was talking to an ex copper last night who was telling me how easy it was to 'ping' an individual mobile phone to find an individual. Surely this would be a good option to find any of the bodies/survivors/plane.

In all seriousness would a satellite struggle to pick up a signal under that depth of water?

Im no expert but surely 1 phone would be traceable.

In all seriousness would a satellite struggle to pick up a signal under that depth of water?

Phones don't talk to satellites. Radio doesn't go through water to any useful extent. A mobile immersed in water is probably more likely to explode than respond to a ping.

• Like 1

Phones don't talk to satellites. Radio doesn't go through water to any useful extent. A mobile immersed in water is probably more likely to explode than respond to a ping.

A ping is a digital process using satellites, like GPS.

Edited by Nigel

A ping is a digital process using satellites, like GPS.

I don't know what this means. Phones can't talk to satellites. It's impossible. They have a (maximum) 1 watt transmitter. They could barely reach a flying plane from the ground. They defiantly could not reach a satellite, so how could they respond to this "ping"?

I'm not sure, but you should definitely write a letter to the government with the idea because I'm sure nobody who's job it is to find the plane has thought about checking for passengers mobile phones! :detect:

Â