Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Agreed, Yedlin is going to be great, would snap him up in a heartbeat.

On a side note without going to off topic, someone mentioned Alejandro Bedoya before. I remember a couple years back he actually had a trial at SHA and they did not offer him a deal...lucky lad. 

Just saw this on TBAR.  Looks like we tried to buy Tadic in Jan.  Was this the player Mat Kendrick was referring to when he said we did try and sign someone right at the end of the Jan window?

Google aided translation from http://www.europacalcio.it:

"Twente and Southampton seem really close to an agreement for the trasferimneto in England playmaker Serb Dusan Tadic. The New Saints coach Ronald Koeman has put the number 10 of Twente at the top of his wish list and is pressing on his new leadership to be satisfied.

Twente have said no to the first attempt of the English, received a strong bid from Aston Villa in January, then declined, to 12.5 million euro: the leadership of Enschede is now asking for an amount at least of that magnitude to liberate their star. Southampton, who finished eighth last season in the Premier League, it has the financial resources to meet the demands of Twente, and there should be no obstacles to the successful conclusion of the deal."

I share your concern but I think it is too early to be so certain.

Once the World Cup is over we will see just how much other sides strengthen.

I don't expect us to add greatly to the squad between now and the end of the window so I will be watching the activity of other sides more than our own.

At the moment I think with a little better luck with injuries we will be okay even without any significant additions.

No way were we making offers of 12m euro's in January.

I remember vaguely somebody (I think it could have been Kendrick) saying that we made a bid of around £10m for a player but it fell through. At the time it just seemed like they were trying to keep the fans calm, still seems that way.

I remember vaguely somebody (I think it could have been Kendrick) saying that we made a bid of around £10m for a player but it fell through. At the time it just seemed like they were trying to keep the fans calm, still seems that way.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he writes, he really doesn't have any sort if inside track on events at Villa.

He has been miles behind with recent goings on like Cole, Keane and Senderos.

He is literally the last person I'd take notice of on these matters.

• Like 1

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he writes, he really doesn't have any sort if inside track on events at Villa.

Even after Collymore?

Oh no I completely agree, in fact I think he is even further behind now which I assume is down to his anti-Lambert end of season articles. As I said, I think he only put it out there in January on behalf of the club as means to settle the fans down. 

Even after Collymore?

Yes although there have been a few people of late who have been shown to not be as well connected as they make out or you would expect Collymore and Graham Taylor being two examples.

But yes Collymore is way ahead of Kendrick in my view.

Oh no I completely agree, in fact I think he is even further behind now which I assume is down to his anti-Lambert end of season articles. As I said, I think he only put it out there in January on behalf of the club as means to settle the fans down.

I agree on the first bit, not the second I don't think he had that sort of relationship even then.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about players we can't afford to sign or ones we can sign for a Mars bar and our Panini swaps. :)

• Like 1

What position does he play. Are people just judging him on the back of World Cup performances as I have never seen him play.

Either way, he is young, inexperienced and has never played in anything close to a decent league. Maybe as an understudy but we need quality now, not more young hungry, supposed 'prospects'

What position does he play. Are people just judging him on the back of World Cup performances as I have never seen him play.

Either way, he is young, inexperienced and has never played in anything close to a decent league. Maybe as an understudy but we need quality now, not more young hungry, supposed 'prospects'

For the right fee you could sign him up and get him back to Seattle on loan for a season or two - which could actually help reduce the transfer fee maybe? It's not like they could realistically demand all that much, you're probably only looking at $3m max

I can't see us buying anybody unless we move people out. We must be getting close to the 25 man limit and with the reintroduction of the bomb squad we won't let them be around without using them like before. If and it's a big if all the players play to their potential we will be fine but I'd still like 2 more new faces at least to freshen things up. Anybody got an idea on our current squad size?