Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Preparing to be slaughtered for this but I don't think our defence is our biggest problem, in fact I don't think our defence would be half as bad if we didn't have to defend so much for long periods of nearly every game we play.

I personally think we're better off focusing on bringing in players who can create and score goals, help us dictate play and in turn win games. If anything we need a left back, maybe a right back too depending on the Bacuna/Lowton situation but it isn't vital. What is vital is being able to do stuff up the other end of the pitch, something we can't seem to do very well at all as of late.

Players who can retain the ball...

Preparing to be slaughtered for this but I don't think our defence is our biggest problem, in fact I don't think our defence would be half as bad if we didn't have to defend so much for long periods of nearly every game we play.

I personally think we're better off focusing on bringing in players who can create and score goals, help us dictate play and in turn win games. If anything we need a left back, maybe a right back too depending on the Bacuna/Lowton situation but it isn't vital. What is vital is being able to do stuff up the other end of the pitch, something we can't seem to do very well at all as of late.

Players who can retain the ball...

Midfield is a big issue in my opinion

• Like 2

I don't think you're all that wrong. Our midfield is so bad. There's no defensive midfielder to protect the back four. Also our midfield have no movement, which results in our defenders hoofing the ball up. When Benteke is not playing that results in the ball coming straight back and we're on the back foot. Midfield is our biggest problem by a million miles. Which is why I struggle to rate Delph as highly as others. He's average, just like Westwood, just like KEA. They all need changing IMO.

• Like 2

I don't think you're all that wrong. Our midfield is so bad. There's no defensive midfielder to protect the back four. Also our midfield have no movement, which results in our defenders hoofing the ball up. When Benteke is not playing that results in the ball coming straight back and we're on the back foot. Midfield is our biggest problem by a million miles. Which is why I struggle to rate Delph as highly as others. He's average, just like Westwood, just like KEA. They all need changing IMO.

I think Delph certainly is better than average, Westwood has potential to be better than average, whilst KEA is in his late 20s.

They all have decent attributes, but as a trio, it just doesn't really work. There isn't any penetration and they're completely bypassed in build-up play when Benteke plays, since he becomes not just our end product but our entire build-up play too.

KEA presses well and gets a lot of tackles/interceptions in the opponents half, which is great when you're in games where you won't be seeing much of the ball, against opposition much better than ourselves. Sadly, you can't really expect him to do that in every single game.

Personally I think we should play with 4 in midfield rather than 3, with a defensive midfielder as a layer of protection as you say, as well as a more penetrative/creative midfielder in front of the central two. I'd probably go with Delph and Westwood in between a DM/AM, bringing in KEA in games against better opposition. We need options and to me that is the main thing, we need quality options that allow different ways of playing against different opponents, we need different ways to open up defences rather than constantly going around in circles whenever we do retain possession.

I actually believe that is how Lambert wants/wanted is to play as well, the Liverpool game is a key example, but obviously poor quality players and injuries kind of stopped us from playing in any sort of positive manner. 

Edited by samjp26

Wasn't that keen before but bringing in the likes of Lescott, Richards, Hoolahan, Pilkington, maybe Barry at a (financial) stretch could potentially have a superb impact on some of the younger players.

Would love a central midfielder with a load of PL experience that can calm everything down and get the likes of Westwood, Lowton, Clark etc. back to their best. Someone who'll go and look for the ball and then scream at people to move. Lescott and Richards could be brilliant to bring along the likes of Bennett/Baker/Clark - as well as improving first team quality.

This would go completely against the supposed Lambert plan for young and hungry players. I doubt he'd admit he's been wrong for 2 years following that plan of his and make a 180 degree turn, and I also don't expect the club to agree to the sort of wages these would demand anyway.

Except he already has admitted as such. Talk of needing experience last winter, needing "bigger and better players" now.

The clubs yearly income has increased by roughly £20m this summer along with hopefully another 2 high earners shifted. There's nothing concrete to suggest that £20m has to be spent on transfer fees alone. It could be put to use increasing wages.

Wasn't that keen before but bringing in the likes of Lescott, Richards, Hoolahan, Pilkington, maybe Barry at a (financial) stretch could potentially have a superb impact on some of the younger players.

Would love a central midfielder with a load of PL experience that can calm everything down and get the likes of Westwood, Lowton, Clark etc. back to their best. Someone who'll go and look for the ball and then scream at people to move. Lescott and Richards could be brilliant to bring along the likes of Bennett/Baker/Clark - as well as improving first team quality.

This would go completely against the supposed Lambert plan for young and hungry players. I doubt he'd admit he's been wrong for 2 years following that plan of his and make a 180 degree turn, and I also don't expect the club to agree to the sort of wages these would demand anyway.

Except he already has admitted as such. Talk of needing experience last winter, needing "bigger and better players" now.

The clubs yearly income has increased by roughly £20m this summer along with hopefully another 2 high earners shifted. There's nothing concrete to suggest that £20m has to be spent on transfer fees alone. It could be put to use increasing wages.

Replacing Bent with Lescott, and Ireland with Barry for example would add a lot to the development of our team. Holt and Hoolahan (even though it didn't happen) show that Lambert has abandoned the youth or nothing stance. Sensible thing too IMHO.

In a way, I believe that it is our lack of attacking play that puts constant pressure on midfield and defence, we need to be able to play in the opponents half for longer periods of the game. Aside from a LB and maybe a loan for Barry, our attack should be the focus. 

I reckon we need to dish out on an attacking midfielder who can actually thrive in the biggest pitch in League (Hoolahan will be a good backup to this player). Also, we need a more direct and effective wide players that can play with the ball, get involved and put constant pressure on our opponents. I like Gabby and I like Weimann but I think they are limited in the roles they are playing and they have been found out. However, that is not to say that they are not useful, they are strikers at the end of the day and have had better displays when played there.

GK: Guzan, Steer

RB: Lowton, Bacuna

CB: Vlaar, Okore, Clark, Baker (maybe another backup if funds are available)

LB: New signing, Bennet, Luna

DM: Barry, KEA

CM: Delph, Westwood

AM: New signing, Hoolahan,  

LW: New signing, Grealish?

RW: New signing, Robinson, N'Zogbia?

ST: Benteke, Kozak, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Bowery, Helenius

Edited by Irinous

In a way, I believe that it is our lack of attacking play that puts constant pressure on midfield and defence, we need to be able to play in the opponents half for longer periods of the game. Aside from a LB and maybe a loan for Barry, our attack should be the focus.

I reckon we need to dish out on an attacking midfielder who can actually thrive in the biggest pitch in League (Hoolahan will be a good backup to this player). Also, we need a more direct and effective wide players that can play with the ball, get involved and put constant pressure on our opponents. I like Gabby and I like Weimann but I think they are limited in the roles they are playing and they have been found out. However, that is not to say that they are not useful, they are strikers at the end of the day and have had better displays when played there.

LW: New signing, Grealish

Fixed.

Having Barry back would be reason enough for me to renew.

But there's not much chance it will happen.

I'd worry about Barry as someone will offer him a 3 year deal and he isn't blessed with pace at all which is only going to get worse

Fixed.

Haha sorry mate, I only put the question mark next to his name because I wasn't sure what position he'd be playing.

Fixed.

Haha sorry mate, I only put the question mark next to his name because I wasn't sure what position he'd be playing.

Dw, It would be your opinion even if you did mean it ;). Some want Jack to go championship and I can understand why, just dont agree personally - biused of course haha.

But yeah looking at that squad we really are struggling for a creative player. Theres no real wingers if marc and Zog goes (both been linked away) and no real CAM to provide creativity. Besides from hoolahan but I wouldnt put all that pressure on a guy of his age now lol

Albrighton gone.

The Club can confirm that Marc Albrighton has been released.

The 24-year-old Tamworth-born winger made nine Premier League starts last season and 10 more as a substitute after a loan spell at Wigan Athletic.

He joined the Academy as an eight-year-old and made 101 appearances in total following his debut in the UEFA Cup game at CSKA Moscow in February 2009, starting 48 Premier League games and making a further 38 appearances from the substitutes' bench.

He also featured in 15 cup games, scoring nine goals in total and seven in the Premier League.

Villa manager Paul Lambert said: "We wish Marc the best in his future career and acknowledge the contribution he has made to the Club over the past several years having graduated from our Academy."

Nathan Delfouneso, another Academy graduate who spent last season on loan at Coventry, has also been released.

The 23-year-old striker made four starts in the Premier League and 27 more appearances as a substitute.

He also made 19 appearances in cup competitions, having marked his first team debut as a 17-year-old in the UEFA Cup second round tie against Icelandic side FH Hafnarfjörður in August 2008.

Lambert added: "We also wish Nathan the best for his career and thank him for his efforts since he, too, graduated from our Academy."

Aston Villa FC @AVFCOfficial 

The Club can confirm that both Marc Albrighton and Nathan Delfouneso have been released. Read here: http://bit.ly/1jo1GOu  #AVFC

Edited by dudevillaisnice

The only player that even looked like trying this year. It's an absolute farce, if we can't afford to pay his wages then I will be very very worried if we don't get taken over. Delph and Vlaar will be next.

• Like 1

Albrighton is a wide-player and hence doesn't fit into Paul Lamberts famed "style of play"

Too bad as he was the only player able to supply our center forwards with crosses into the box

Edit: Then again i don't think he is a £35k/w player or even close to that

Edited by sne