Thailand

Stevo985

On Koh Phangan sipping a Chang at the moment, going to Koh Tao on Wednesday then Samui and up to the north after. Love it here!

So jealous.

Did those three islands last year. Koh Tao is absolutely awesome. Highlight of the trip for me

My wife is from Thailand, spent a lot of time there travelling about, diving, generally having the time of my life. Fantastic country, would recommend anyone to visit.

Completely jealous of your current predicament Chappy, feel free to hit me up if you need any advice

Edited by Tubby

• 3 months later...
On 11/11/2015, 13:24:16, Demitri_C said:

has anyone been phi phi before? few of my friends want to go but reviews say its a bit dead

Only been for a day but it was nice. Its not wild but there are going to be times when you just want to relax

Have you sorted an itinerary out yet or have an idea in mind?

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

Only been for a day but it was nice. Its not wild but there are going to be times when you just want to relax

Have you sorted an itinerary out yet or have an idea in mind?

I think the plan mate is

Start off Koh Chang, then move on to pattaya, then krabi or phi phi and finishing in phuket

edit: You didnt ask for my opinion, and ofc feel free to skip it. but im going to give you it anyway.

Imo, there are 3 places in thailand:

1. I saw you didnt have bkk on your list. This is a must imo. Just seeing how hectic it all is. The partying and just experiencing SEA capital city life. Some cool temples etc to see here (they get boring pretty quick but good the first time). And plenty of debauchery. Just experiencing the capital city is the main thing though imo

2. Chiang mai. Some beautiful views here. Most people go here for elephant rides and tiger seeing etc. Theres tons of activities to do here. I def recommend quadbiking up the mountains and coming back down through "jungle". Quite often people rent mopeds and just enjoy the views for themselves . More studenty vibe here aswell imo. If thai's could speak english i would move to CM so fast

3. A beach place. I see pattaya on there which has all the degenerate stuff there and a beach so i guess i would recommend that. Samui beaches were awesome and my 2nd favourite place in thailand (after CM). Phukets were good. Apart from the main strip, there isnt much to do and you can see all that in pattaya.  Or the diving islands if you want to do that

my 2c

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gharperr said:

edit: You didnt ask for my opinion, and ofc feel free to skip it. but im going to give you it anyway.

Imo, there are 3 places in thailand:

1. I saw you didnt have bkk on your list. This is a must imo. Just seeing how hectic it all is. The partying and just experiencing SEA capital city life. Some cool temples etc to see here (they get boring pretty quick but good the first time). And plenty of debauchery. Just experiencing the capital city is the main thing though imo

2. Chiang mai. Some beautiful views here. Most people go here for elephant rides and tiger seeing etc. Theres tons of activities to do here. I def recommend quadbiking up the mountains and coming back down through "jungle". Quite often people rent mopeds and just enjoy the views for themselves . More studenty vibe here aswell imo. If thai's could speak english i would move to CM so fast

3. A beach place. I see pattaya on there which has all the degenerate stuff there and a beach so i guess i would recommend that. Samui beaches were awesome and my 2nd favourite place in thailand (after CM). Phukets were good. Apart from the main strip, there isnt much to do and you can see all that in pattaya.  Or the diving islands if you want to do that

my 2c

Sorry i think we are going Bangkok just for 1 day, think we starting there. Samui some of my friends who have been on various occasions told me they didnt like it thats why they dont wnat to go again. They also said the full moon parties are all over-rated and very dodgey

What did you think about Koh Chang? My friend really raves about it

Bangkok is definitely an experience. Its a fantastic city, a little more gentrified than when I first went in 2007 compared to when i was last there in 2013 but still a good night out

I wasn't keen on Pattaya. Don't get me wrong, you'll have a blast but it was just a bit too much for me. Very seedy and the quality of the clientele left a lot to be desired. 

Chiang Mai is very nice and relaxed and a good place to chill out for a bit in.

Wherever you go, it'll be a great trip mate :)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2014, 10:35:08, djdabush said:

I've been to Koh Chang, it's more popular with Thai tourist but has a lot of nice luxury resorts. I went during wet season though and it was really quiet, I'd imagine it would be a lot busier in November though.

This is my first stop on my visit my friend says its fantastic

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Bangkok is definitely an experience. Its a fantastic city, a little more gentrified than when I first went in 2007 compared to when i was last there in 2013 but still a good night out

I wasn't keen on Pattaya. Don't get me wrong, you'll have a blast but it was just a bit too much for me. Very seedy and the quality of the clientele left a lot to be desired. 

Chiang Mai is very nice and relaxed and a good place to chill out for a bit in.

Wherever you go, it'll be a great trip mate :)

My friends didnt really like it that much, I would like to see it as it sounds like a crazy city. what was it about Pattaya you didn't like exactly? I think my friends are suggesting Koh Chang as more relaxtion although my friends says there is decent nightlife there as well. Thanks Xela I hope so I am only intending to go once in my life so want to get best possible experiance. direct flights at the moment are really cheap £470

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My friends didnt really like it that much, I would like to see it as it sounds like a crazy city. what was it about Pattaya you didn't like exactly? I think my friends are suggesting Koh Chang as more relaxtion although my friends says there is decent nightlife there as well. Thanks Xela I hope so I am only intending to go once in my life so want to get best possible experiance. direct flights at the moment are really cheap £470

Pattaya for me, its like a seedier version of Blackpool! It attracts the worst type of tourist to Thailand.  Yeah, there is plenty of bars, restaurants and clubs but there are better quality ones in Patong Beach, Phuket and certainly in Bangkok. Depends what you want in your holiday, if you only go to Thailand once then it would be a huge shame to miss Bangkok, It is truly a world class city with great drinking and dining options. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Bangkok is an absolute must, I would definitely recommend Chiang Mai too.

Koh Tao is the best island.

Agreed.

Granted I only went to three islands so I hardly have the best sample. But Koh Tao was amazing.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Also Phuket is a shithole, so I expect Pattaya to be even worse.

Phuket has some really nice beaches. Patong can be a bit crazy but its only a very small part of the island. Kata, Kata Noi and Karon beaches are more chilled out and quieter 

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Phuket has some really nice beaches. Patong can be a bit crazy but its only a very small part of the island. Kata, Kata Noi and Karon beaches are more chilled out and quieter 

Yeah well the natural setting is nice of course but even away from Patong it feels like a Thai Benidorm.

On 15 November 2015 19:56:22, Demitri_C said:

I think the plan mate is

Start off Koh Chang, then move on to pattaya, then krabi or phi phi and finishing in phuket

Phi Phi is mental, massive beach party most nights... If you're staying in hostels I got told Stones is the best (it was sold out when I tried to book). Although it's a bit commercial, you have to do the Maya beach tour (where they filmed the film The Beach).

There isn't much in Krabbi, but Ao Nang a bit down the road has some really great beaches (Railay) and a few decent bars.

I'd been told to avoid Phuket as it's really really seedy.

I've only been to Koh Chang myself, out of the islands, but its perfectly nice. I wouldn't say it blew me away at all, just a pleasant place to be. Too many Brits actually, if truth be told. I found it felt like a particularly distant part of the Costa del Sol. 

EDIT: There's even a branch of Boots, if I remember correctly. I can't feel like I'm on holiday if I can buy toothpaste in Boots. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

I live just outside BKK in a place called Samut Prakarn. Having lived in Thailand for over 3 years, I can safely say that if lapdancers, prostitutes, paedophiles and overweight, balding sexpats leaking curdled seminal fluid is your thing... go to Pattaya or Phuket...

Thailand is a very beautiful country with plenty to see and do without having to put your hard earned money into those two hellholes...

Pattaya was flooded not long ago... That was a bath well overdue... 

Edited by DJ_Villain

Â