Thailand

Stevo985

On 11/16/2015, 8:15:29, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

Granted I only went to three islands so I hardly have the best sample. But Koh Tao was amazing.

I won't go to KT ever again...

I am doing my diving next year somewhere else... Two Brits were killed there by some Hi-society Thai gangsters kid... Everyone knows it but nobody will speak out...

Now two poor Burmese lads are copping the flak because they dont have the money/power to fight it...

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. My flight was into Dubai then out a couple of hours later.

No bother at all.

Yeah thats the flight we are looking at stevo with emirates. I just get a bit concerned of missing the connecting flight if you get a delay in London, then its a complete nightmare

I wouldn't worry. Your flight in is with Emirates, your flight out is with Emirates. Dubai Airport has an entire terminal dedicated to Emirates, with emirates staff at every corner to tell you where to go. Catching your connecting flight is about as easy as it can get.

Although I'd advise insisting they print both boarding passes for you when you check in in London (or Bangkok for the return)

On our way back they told us they could only print our boarding pass to Dubai and we'd have to get our second one printed when we got to Dubai. Easy to find the desk in Dubai, but everybody else already had their seats so we (me and my gf) got seated apart. It's only because we complained (a lot) that they eventually reshuffled somebody else so we could sit together.

• Like 2

ive always been one to be paranoid about connecting flights but i always get from out the plane to where i need to be in max 10 minutes. Ive flew to asia a few times now and never had any delay. I imagine the plane isnt going 100% its max speed and can make up time if needs be over such a long distance.

i would 100% take indirect flights and not be worried by connecting flight times. Only time i would go direct is if i was rich enough to go business class

Edited by gharperr

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't worry. Your flight in is with Emirates, your flight out is with Emirates. Dubai Airport has an entire terminal dedicated to Emirates, with emirates staff at every corner to tell you where to go. Catching your connecting flight is about as easy as it can get.

Although I'd advise insisting they print both boarding passes for you when you check in in London (or Bangkok for the return)

On our way back they told us they could only print our boarding pass to Dubai and we'd have to get our second one printed when we got to Dubai. Easy to find the desk in Dubai, but everybody else already had their seats so we (me and my gf) got seated apart. It's only because we complained (a lot) that they eventually reshuffled somebody else so we could sit together.

Thanks Stevo that is re-assuring

• 2 weeks later...
On Mon Nov 16 2015 08:45:42 GMT+0000, Demitri_C said:

What did you think about Koh Chang? My friend really raves about it

Koh Chang is a stunning place!....take the bus from Bangkok for 300 baht...its a 5 hr journey and includes a lunch stop and ferry ticket across to Koh Chang. 

I stayed in a beach hut near lonely beach. A kind of hippy area with cool bars and restaurants. Great place to hire a scooter..there is a main road  that goes most of the way around the island. It takes about an hour to go around to the other side. Options there to hire a kayak, get yourself a takeaway Pad Thai for a picnic and paddle across to deserted islands!

Some photos here in my blog

http://ataste-of-thailand.blogspot.com

Edited by chicovilla
  • Like 2

I think the itinery for us

start three days in pattya, followed by four days in koh chang, then move on to phukett for 4-5 days (may do a day at krabi-phi phi undecided yet looks stunning but not much to do at those two) and then finish two day in bangkok 

yeha my friedn really talks highly of koh chang. lovely beaches and great nightlife am really looking forwardd to that

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Looks like we are flyjng with a airline called eva air now as found direct flights for only £20 more. Anyone flown with them?  

I've not flown with Eva, but I was so impressed with Emirates that the flights not being direct wouldn't bother me at all. I'd rather fly with them.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I've not flown with Eva, but I was so impressed with Emirates that the flights not being direct wouldn't bother me at all. I'd rather fly with them.

Wouldn't bother me either Stevo, the problem is a load of my friends went last year with Ethihad and they had an absolute nightmare indirect with them, so they plan out refuse to go indirect again

• Like 1

On 29/11/2015, 09:16:03, Demitri_C said:

Looks like we are flyjng with a airline called eva air now as found direct flights for only £20 more. Anyone flown with them?  

My mate has been to Thailand twice. Once with Emirates and once with EVA. Preferred EVA. Said they couldn't do enough for him on the flight. Very pleasant staff and attentive.

Strangely he was lukewarm on Emirates, said they were rude. Goes against my experience with them (on 5 separate flights). 

I don't think you will have any issues with EVA. Most Asian airlines are top notch. 

58 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

EVA are excellent, flown with them many times. Asian airlines absolutely destroy European ones. 

I heard Eva and Thai airways the service is absolutely brilliant. Entertainment is good, good leg room but crap food. hate flying got to admit as dreading the flight

Yeah, generally the service is very good with most big Asian airlines. Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines are the two very best IMO, but Korean Air, Thai and EVA have all been positive experiences. I find the food pretty good to be honest, I think airline food has improved massively in the last ten or fifteen years, I remember hating it years ago. Admittedly, I do like Asian food, it might not be so good if don't. Just don't go to the cinema in the weeks up to the flight, then you'll have stuff you want to watch. 

How long is the flight? About ten hours, eleven hours? Two movies, two meals and a nap. No stress. 

Â