Thailand

Stevo985

Personally, I don't think I could do the whole travelling thing without booking accommodation. I know that's part of the experience, but it's such hassle.

The thought of getting off a ferry somewhere like Koh Tao and then having to walk around and find a hostel wasn't fun when I was there.

I booked everything before I went. That makes it less flexible but I was happy with that for the peace of mind of knowing I had somewhere decent to stay.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think I could do the whole travelling thing without booking accommodation. I know that's part of the experience, but it's such hassle.

The thought of getting off a ferry somewhere like Koh Tao and then having to walk around and find a hostel wasn't fun when I was there.

I booked everything before I went. That makes it less flexible but I was happy with that for the peace of mind of knowing I had somewhere decent to stay.

I did the same, and I went for over 3 months.

It allows you to budget better and it takes away any anxiety you might have about finding somewhere reasonable to spend the night. Don't get me wrong, if you thrive with uncertainty then by all means wing it, but it's not for me.

Regarding diving in Thailand - don't just go for the cheapest operator, they'll have you somersaulting off the back of a longtail. Not exactly the ideal introduction to the underwater world. Also think carefully about where you'll be diving, if you venture to the West coast, then i'd absolutely recommend Koh Lanta, but would warn against diving around Lipe. If you want the name of a good operator in Lanta, then let me know.

• Like 1

I booked accommodation for Bangkok before I left but then later in my trip I spent 7 weeks through Vietnam, Laos and Northern Thailand and didn't have any accommodation booked in advance. It wasn't a hassle at all really, in Vietnam the buses nearly always dropped us off near a few hostels rather than at a bus station. It also meant we were able to haggle a price rather than paying their standard rates beforehand. It helped that we were sharing private rooms I think rather than looking for beds in dorms though (and was cheaper!). We only ended up somewhere really shit once and that was in Hue, but we just checked out the next day after finding somewhere better. I'm planning to go to the Thai islands next year, will probably book in advance for that because it's just a two week trip.

• Like 1

I've done both - gone to Thailand with a full planned itinerary and also gone with just the flight booked. I preferred the former. I need a plan in place otherwise I tend to get lazy and ended up overstaying in places and not seeing as much as I wanted to.

I've done both - gone to Thailand with a full planned itinerary and also gone with just the flight booked. I preferred the former. I need a plan in place otherwise I tend to get lazy and ended up overstaying in places and not seeing as much as I wanted to.

yeah I always pre-book ... I did Europe back in 2000 with just a car and where shall we go but somewhere like BKK I'd be out on the drink 24 /7 and wouldn't make it very far  .. at least when you have it all pre booked someone comes to your hotel and sorta forces you to go and see something :)

Anyone been to Koh Chang or Koh Samet? Will more then likely be in Thailand for a few days in November as part of a yet to be finalised trip and want to spend a few days at a beach / island resort. Ideally I don't want to fly, just a bus / coach journey from Bangkok then a ferry. These two seem to be the closest.

Any other suggestions welcome...

Anyone been to Koh Chang or Koh Samet? Will more then likely be in Thailand for a few days in November as part of a yet to be finalised trip and want to spend a few days at a beach / island resort. Ideally I don't want to fly, just a bus / coach journey from Bangkok then a ferry. These two seem to be the closest.

Any other suggestions welcome...

I've been to Koh Chang, it's more popular with Thai tourist but has a lot of nice luxury resorts. I went during wet season though and it was really quiet, I'd imagine it would be a lot busier in November though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DEFINITELY book your accommodation for the FMP.

Most places on Koh Phangan insist on you booking 3 nights around FMP (some insist on 4 or 5) and it's very busy.

Also, book your ferry to and from the island as early as possible. There's only a certain number and they fill up really quickly. 

The day after the FMP we tried to book our ferry (to leave 2 days after FMP) through our hotel front desk and every ferry from every company was full.

It's only because we chanced driving down to the pier and asking the company directly that we found out that they'd put one extra ferry on and managed to get a seat on that.

Thanks for this, booked ferries today.

• Like 1

Two British tourists found dead with gruesome head wounds on Thai beach

Monday 15 Sep 2014 10:03 am
ad_145928923.jpg?w=644&h=461&crop=1#038;Thai workers carry the bodies of two British tourists on Koh Tao island in the Surat Thani province of southern Thailand (picture: AFP/Getty)

The bodies of two British tourists have been found naked with gruesome head wounds on a beach at a popular island in southern Thailand, police say.

Colonel Prachum Ruangthong said the man and woman were found dead on a rocky beach on Koh Tao, an island in Surat Thani province known for its diving sites and serene beaches.

The victims’ clothes and a hoe with blood stains on it were found nearby, he said.

It is believed that the woman was raped before being killed and people have been prevented from leaving the island.

Police suspect the pair were killed with the hoe, leaving deep wounds on their heads, Mr Prachum said.

Police are checking closed circuit TV footage at nearby restaurants, hotels and shops for clues, he said.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/15/two-british-tourists-found-dead-with-gruesome-head-wounds-on-thai-beach-4869176/?ito=facebook

At one point the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok had mine for about 4 days. I don't think I even had a copy of mine during that time. Incidentally, I'm fairly certain there's a small Vietnamese boy running around some village with my name now.

I read on the government website that you have to carry your passport on you at all times in Thailand. Is this actually the case? Are they strict on it?

I never had mine on me

Wouldn't even recommend it during Songkran (water-throwing festival). Didn't know it was on when I was there, got utterly drenched, new passport required. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Â