Your Top 3 Villa Keepers & Bottom 3 Villa Keepers.

villa-revolution

You could phrase it differently and ask how he could be released in the first place when surely his ability was clear to see every day in training. Very lucky he wasn't snapped up and I'm delighted he gave us another chance after some shabby treatment. Credit to Lambert also as you say.

You could also completely misunderstand what went on. He wasn't released, his contract was up. He was offered a new one but declined it because he felt it was time to play first team football. No one offered him a deal he was happy with so he asked at the end of the summer if the original offer was still on and he was told it was. Given got injured and Brad took his chance

I'm pretty sure Given was dropped.

Yeah, he was dropped after the game against everton where he made a major mistake. Guzan got the chance and took it. The rest is history. And according to Guzan himself, IIRC, Lambert called him.

Too young to remember Jimmy. I just remember seeing for about 12 minutes in a game. :) Though, I remember there actually was a documentary film about him shown on swedish TV in the early 80's. So my keepers:

1: Bosnich

2: Guzan

3: Spink

bottom:

1: Enckelman

2: Kiraly

3: Postma (as I can't come up with anyone I find worse)

You could phrase it differently and ask how he could be released in the first place when surely his ability was clear to see every day in training. Very lucky he wasn't snapped up and I'm delighted he gave us another chance after some shabby treatment. Credit to Lambert also as you say.

You could also completely misunderstand what went on. He wasn't released, his contract was up. He was offered a new one but declined it because he felt it was time to play first team football. No one offered him a deal he was happy with so he asked at the end of the summer if the original offer was still on and he was told it was. Given got injured and Brad took his chance

I'm pretty sure Given was dropped.

Yeah, he was dropped after the game against everton where he made a major mistake. Guzan got the chance and took it. The rest is history. And according to Guzan himself, IIRC, Lambert called him.

Dropped /injured - minor detail,the point is it was Guzan's choice not to renew his contract he was not released. It was not something the club had any control over. MKD seemed to be of the opinion that it was the clubs decision, it wasn't.

You could also completely misunderstand what went on. He wasn't released, his contract was up. He was offered a new one but declined it because he felt it was time to play first team football. No one offered him a deal he was happy with so he asked at the end of the summer if the original offer was still on and he was told it was. 

This isn't actually true, if Guzan himself is to be believed.

I always assumed this was how it happened as well, but in an interview Brad gave earlier in the season he said this wan't what happened. He wasn't offered a new deal and never was until Lambert re-signed him.

Best:

Jimmeh! Jimmeh! Jimmeh!

Oh ozzie Bozzie! Oh ozzie Bozzie!

Guzan! Guzan!

Worse:

David James - could be brilliant but always a liability

Kiraly - i think he's just got down for that shot

Les Sealy - just didn't like him

Alway's loved `Mr Angry` Les Sealey. He would go absolutely mental at the back 4 if ever they lost concentration or made a mistake. He was completely off his eye brows.

• Like 1

Enckelman should be in everyone's crappy list. Continued to make howlers up here in Scotland. Awful awful keeper

Was a good keeper until the first howler against small heath

Then he just lost all confidence and went to pieces

Yeh agreed I thought he was fairly good until that error. Same happened with Carson.

Given is probably one of the worst for me, great shot stopper so looks good but its the stuff like coming out and taking a cross when under pressure and communication with the defence that is important in todays game.

Suprised nobody has mentioned Adam Rachel's time between the sticks when Oakes (who also would be in my bottom 3) got sent off v Blackburn. He was atrocious and never seen again.

I remember it. I think they scored from the free kick didn't they so his first ever contribution was picking the ball out of the net?

Suprised nobody has mentioned Adam Rachel's time between the sticks when Oakes (who also would be in my bottom 3) got sent off v Blackburn. He was atrocious and never seen again.

I remember it. I think they scored from the free kick didn't they so his first ever contribution was picking the ball out of the net?

I think so, yes. Oakes was sent off for handball outside the box (which was rescinded as replays showed he was inside) so they probably scored from the resulting free kick. I think Scimeca ended up scoring for us and we still lost the game. 

Bozzy

James

Guzan

Postma (just because he didn't play much)

Oakes

Enkleman

Out of interest apart from Spink have we had a keeper come through the youth team and had a successful run in the side? I know we have had one or two make it at other clubs (myhill) but can't think of any playing for us.

Edited by mikeyp102

Guzan

Bosnich

James

Carson

Kiraly

Enckelman

Bottom

I genuinely think Guzan is that good. The top three were all at one time or another fantastic keepers, who stopped shots and commanded their area well. Bosnich was perhaps only second to Schmeichel as the leagues best at that time, though I think the quality has vastly improved since and you could throw a blanket over the top 5, which includes Brad.

James was another who used to win us games single handed. He won himself back page headlines. I don't recall too many instances of him losing the plot for us though I may be wrong.

One I never really rated was Friedel. Top bloke, ultimate pro and well liked by the fans but suffered awfully from flappy hands syndrome. Not nearly reliable enough for me.

The bottom three are self explanatory, with Encks at the bottom of the pile. He was as spineless as they came. Terrible player regardless THAT mistake.

I'm afraid it's you who has completely misunderstood Bickster. The AVFC Official Site was among the many outlets to confirm at the time that Brad had been released just like Cuellar, Heskey, et al., and just like Reo Coker the previous year. Indeed, Guzan himself has spoken in several interviews about his pride at eventually earning his place in the side, having previously been released.

Not to be overly semantic, but the misunderstanding also extends to what I meant by "released". Even if an unsatisfactory (in Guzan's view) contract offer was made, which Brad rejected, the player was still ultimately released. I was merely questioning why it wasn't more of a priority to ensure that such a good keeper (and this was surely evident in training) was signed up and assured of his importance to the future of the club. The shabby treatment I was referring to was, among other things, being dropped for the Carling Cup final in 2010; being largely ignored by Houllier; not being given a chance when Friedel was sold (despite years as a patient and impressive understudy); and, finally, being dropped after proving himself a more than capable deputy for Given (when injured) in 2012.

My post wasn't intended to be a barb in any particular direction, merely as a way of expressing my bewilderment at how such a top 'keeper (Number 2 in the list of my lifetime) was so close to slipping out of our grasp without being given a chance!

2. Gabor Kiraly - Only had him on loan for a short period & his keeping was as poor as his legendary & shocking track suit bottoms. Who can forget how he allowed Diego Forlan a late winner at Old Trafford in the FA Cup 3rd round in 2007? Apparently he was contemplating suicide afterwards but the bus ran straight under him. :P

Pretty sure it was Solskjaer who scored it, the shot was straight-on and Kiraly managed to dive OVER the shot, it slid in underneath his armpits. I will never forget it. 

Â