Your Top 3 Villa Keepers & Bottom 3 Villa Keepers.

villa-revolution

You could phrase it differently and ask how he could be released in the first place when surely his ability was clear to see every day in training. Very lucky he wasn't snapped up and I'm delighted he gave us another chance after some shabby treatment. Credit to Lambert also as you say.

You could also completely misunderstand what went on. He wasn't released, his contract was up. He was offered a new one but declined it because he felt it was time to play first team football. No one offered him a deal he was happy with so he asked at the end of the summer if the original offer was still on and he was told it was. Given got injured and Brad took his chance

I'm afraid it's you who has completely misunderstood Bickster. The AVFC Official Site was among the many outlets to confirm at the time that Brad had been released just like Cuellar, Heskey, et al., and just like Reo Coker the previous year. Indeed, Guzan himself has spoken in several interviews about his pride at eventually earning his place in the side, having previously been released.

Not to be overly semantic, but the misunderstanding also extends to what I meant by "released". Even if an unsatisfactory (in Guzan's view) contract offer was made, which Brad rejected, the player was still ultimately released. I was merely questioning why it wasn't more of a priority to ensure that such a good keeper (and this was surely evident in training) was signed up and assured of his importance to the future of the club. The shabby treatment I was referring to was, among other things, being dropped for the Carling Cup final in 2010; being largely ignored by Houllier; not being given a chance when Friedel was sold (despite years as a patient and impressive understudy); and, finally, being dropped after proving himself a more than capable deputy for Given (when injured) in 2012.

My post wasn't intended to be a barb in any particular direction, merely as a way of expressing my bewilderment at how such a top 'keeper (Number 2 in the list of my lifetime) was so close to slipping out of our grasp without being given a chance!

Indeed. I wasn't one of those clamoring for him to renew at the time though, it was presumed by many including myself that he wasn't good enough. Lambert clearly saw different and that god he did. He's a £10m keeper that we almost let go for absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

Enckelman should be in everyone's crappy list. Continued to make howlers up here in Scotland. Awful awful keeper

aside from that which should never be spoken of Enckleman probably didn't do that much wrong in a Villa shirt.

Bosnich, Spink, Guzan for me

James and Friedel were pretty good also

2. Gabor Kiraly - Only had him on loan for a short period & his keeping was as poor as his legendary & shocking track suit bottoms. Who can forget how he allowed Diego Forlan a late winner at Old Trafford in the FA Cup 3rd round in 2007? Apparently he was contemplating suicide afterwards but the bus ran straight under him. :P

Pretty sure it was Solskjaer who scored it, the shot was straight-on and Kiraly managed to dive OVER the shot, it slid in underneath his armpits. I will never forget it. 

I think you're both wrong.

I think it was actually Henrik Larsson

EDIT: I was wrong. Larsson did score but it was indeed Solskjaer who won it in injury time.

Edited by Stevo985

Bosnich was class. Pure class

Spinks is a legend.

Guzan is a top keeper. So as the other brad.

This is hard. IMO we have always had decent, to good, goal keepers.

Mr Second city derby is the worst by far though.

Edited by deeps

Only saw Rimmer play once in the flesh so based on since I was a regular

Best:

Bosnich

Big Brad

Small Brad

Worst:

Oaks

Sorensen

Given

Bosnich for THAT save v Coventry alone

I'll be honest after Blackburn in the league cup I never thought small Brad had a prayer ... And now suddenly he's one of the few keepers in the prem that comes out and commands his box

Fair play to him , he clearly worked hard on his improvement

Spink for me. He was the most underrated of our keepers. He should have played the 1990 world cup instead of pensioner Shilton.... we may have won, coz he was useless `at that tournament.

Brad may go on to be our best yet. He has everything in his locker. He kept us up last season and is doing well in this one.

1. Bosnich

2. James (shame about the cup final but he was very good regardless in 99-00, only signed him for 1m I think aswell)

3. Guzan

1. Carson (was garbage after that England error and he had the luxury of the likes of Mellberg, Bouma and Laursen in his regular back 4, imagine him behind our modern day defences!)

2. Postma- mediocre keeper.

3. Kiraly- Aside from the cup error, I thought he was generally o.k considering he came in at short notice and his attire was amusing but yeah letting that Man. United shot go through him was woeful.

Likes of Given, Friedel and Sorensen were all better for their previous clubs imo, none of them make my top 3 for what they did here but equally would've been harsh to put Given and Sorensen in the bottom 3 aswell.

Â