Your Top 3 Villa Keepers & Bottom 3 Villa Keepers.

villa-revolution

Okay VT This thread is simple enough but if your a new  or young Villa fan just give us your best & worst keeper only.

I'll go first.

Top 3:   

1. Jimmy Rimmer - Best & most reliable Villa Keeper ever IMO & only cost £70k from Arsenal too. What a bargain. That Ron Saunders really knew what he was doing didn't he? Here's your trophy `Jimmeh`. :hooray:

2. David James   - Only ever made 2 serious errors in all his time at Villa park & unfortunately one of those cost us the 2000 FA Cup Final, but in fairness to him, apart from George Boateng, no other Villa players even bothered to turn up at Wembley that day. You wait 43 years for an FA Cup Final to come along & we get one of our most disappointing days ever. :bang:

3.  Mark Bosnich -  Alway loved his winning Aussie mentality & his fantastic  & crucial second half save from Mark Hughes in the 94 Coca Cola Cup final when we we're 2-1 ahead & slightly under the cosh, sticks firmly in the memory banks.

Then Bottom 3 in reverse order:

3. Peter Scmeichel - Yes. I know he is arguably the greatest keeper of all time but not for us he wasn't. He was so over the hill it was unreal. Truth be told he was better at the other end of the park. You want proof? Check out Goodison Park October 2001.

2. Gabor Kiraly - Only had him on loan for a short period & his keeping was as poor as his legendary & shocking track suit bottoms. Who can forget how he allowed Diego Forlan a late winner at Old Trafford in the FA Cup 3rd round in 2007? Apparently he was contemplating suicide afterwards but the bus ran straight under him. :P

3. Peter Encklemen - You really don't want me to explain my reasoning here do you? :(

NB - I have disqualified Adam Rachel from this selection as he only ever played as a sub when Mark Bosnich was sent off at Blackburn Rovers by some match official  who doesn't have a father. ;)

Finally a memo to `Jimmeh`- Whatever you do Jim, do not pass your trophy to Gabor to inspect & admire as it will roll straight under his arms & then straight under Encklemen's foot. ;)

ps - Never pass them your false teeth either. :P

Edited by villa-revolution

It's strange how Guzan was just a backup keeper for so many years and was released by the club, probably to go on and play for some low level club for the rest of his career. Now he's regarded as one of the best Villa goalkeepers, quite a turn of events. Makes me wonder as to why other managers never deemed him good enough to be no.1.

Bringing Guzan back surely has to be one of the best things Lambert has done for the club.

• Like 1

It's strange how Guzan was just a backup keeper for so many years and was released by the club, probably to go on and play for some low level club for the rest of his career. Now he's regarded as one of the best Villa goalkeepers, quite a turn of events. Makes me wonder as to why other managers never deemed him good enough to be no.1.

Bringing Guzan back surely has to be one of the best things Lambert has done for the club.

You could phrase it differently and ask how he could be released in the first place when surely his ability was clear to see every day in training. Very lucky he wasn't snapped up and I'm delighted he gave us another chance after some shabby treatment. Credit to Lambert also as you say.

Bosnich

Spink

Rimmer

Bosnich was unreal during his spell for us. 

And Spink should be in everyone's list for THAT game. Not to mention nearly 20 years of excellent service.

Best:

Jimmeh! Jimmeh! Jimmeh!

Oh ozzie Bozzie! Oh ozzie Bozzie!

Guzan! Guzan!

Worse:

David James - could be brilliant but always a liability

Kiraly - i think he's just got down for that shot

Les Sealy - just didn't like him

You could phrase it differently and ask how he could be released in the first place when surely his ability was clear to see every day in training. Very lucky he wasn't snapped up and I'm delighted he gave us another chance after some shabby treatment. Credit to Lambert also as you say.

You could also completely misunderstand what went on. He wasn't released, his contract was up. He was offered a new one but declined it because he felt it was time to play first team football. No one offered him a deal he was happy with so he asked at the end of the summer if the original offer was still on and he was told it was. Given got injured and Brad took his chance

• Like 1

You could also completely misunderstand what went on. He wasn't released, his contract was up. He was offered a new one but declined it because he felt it was time to play first team football. No one offered him a deal he was happy with so he asked at the end of the summer if the original offer was still on and he was told it was. Given got injured and Brad took his chance

I'm pretty sure Given was dropped.

Enckelman should be in everyone's crappy list. Continued to make howlers up here in Scotland. Awful awful keeper

Was a good keeper until the first howler against small heath

Then he just lost all confidence and went to pieces

In my lifetime as a fan (so excluding Jimmy RImmer and even Spink, who I'm too young to remember at his best) I'd go for

1. Bosnich - my first footballing hero.

2. James

3. Guzan

Honourable mention to Friedel

Bottom 3:

1. Enckleman

2. Kiraly

3. Carson (post Croatia game)

• Like 1

Â