Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

maqroll

Can we wrap Lizzie Arnold in cotton wool overnight as we need her tomorrow to come up with the goods.

Curling is becoming addictive, I am going to polish the hall floor tonight and get the iron out..........................

I googled that name and she appears to be a lady who is 70-80% boobs and has little-to-no connection with the Winter Olympics. She certainly made my goods come up.

I see there is a big petition going round about Alain Baxters medal to be reinstated. What are people's thoughts on this?

To be fair to Baxter that he wasn't reinstated in the first place was absolutely mental. The traces of the drug they found came from a bloody Vicks inhaler and were in no way performance enhancing anyway. The IOC got it horribly, horribly wrong and should put it right, no matter how long ago it was.

I'd feel a little sorry for the bloke who finished 4th and got handed the medal to now have it taken back. But he did finish 4th...

It would take NOTHING away from Jenny's achievement. Certainly not for me and it shouldn't for Jenny either.

Dunno if it's been linked or not, but I read a mildly interesting article about the Dutch and speed skating yesterday. 

The three speed skaters who picked up gold, silver and bronze for the Netherlands at the Winter Olympics in Sochi on Monday helped take the country's all-time medal tally to 94. Only four of these medals have not been awarded to speed skaters. Their team of skaters have already won eight medals in Sochi.

The Netherlands have won more gold, more silver and more bronze medals than any other country in the history of the sport. That 96% of their medals have come in one sport might sound strange, but it's not that surprising when we consider the country's geography, culture and history.

Speed skating suits the Netherlands' topology. Nearly a quarter of the country's population live below sea level, and when that water freezes, how else are they going to get around? They hosted the very first skating world championships back in the 19th century and they have continued to invest heavily in the sport, right up to the 1990s, when their full-time professional teams helped them pick up a glut of Olympic medals.

Dutch people have the advantage of being the tallest on Earth, and their culture values speed skating. In 54 years of the Dutch Sportsman of the Year award, 17 prizes have gone to speed skaters. Only two footballers – Johan Cruyff and Ruud Gullit – have won the award. Speed skating is accessible, popular and cherished. In short, it's kind of a big deal. When Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands proposed to his now Queen back in 2001, he was wearing a pair of skates.

I knew they liked darts, smoking weed and weird forms of sex that would probably be illegal in most other countries, but I genuinely had no idea that speed skating was so popular in the Netherlands.  You learn something new every day.
Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

I see there is a big petition going round about Alain Baxters medal to be reinstated. What are people's thoughts on this?

To be fair to Baxter that he wasn't reinstated in the first place was absolutely mental. The traces of the drug they found came from a bloody Vicks inhaler and were in no way performance enhancing anyway. The IOC got it horribly, horribly wrong and should put it right, no matter how long ago it was.

I'd feel a little sorry for the bloke who finished 4th and got handed the medal to now have it taken back. But he did finish 4th...

It would take NOTHING away from Jenny's achievement. Certainly not for me and it shouldn't for Jenny either.

There's a story that the guy who got the bronze in the end gave it back to Baxter anyway.

Holland's 12 medals have all come from speed skating.

smileys-holland-107805.gif

Are you Dutch? Or just a fan?

Half Dutch.

Schweet! One of my best buds is Dutch. She wins.

You're lucky there was no Dutch competitors in the slopestyle final or Ajax would've been pulling for her.

Half Dutch.

You're lucky there was no Dutch competitors in the slopestyle final or Ajax would've been pulling for her.

that could be implied in many ways ;)

Half Dutch.

that could be implied in many ways ;)

In that case I supported Jones and pulled for Norderland.