Alan Shearer on Suarez Penalty

smetrov

Get 'em on Splash...

The day that cheating becomes acceptable in football - I stop paying and going... Cheating is not acceptable. Play to win... but **** play fair.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but cheating became acceptable in football a loooooong time ago.

Get 'em on Splash...

The day that cheating becomes acceptable in football - I stop paying and going... Cheating is not acceptable. Play to win... but **** play fair.

It's already happened. Diving is now called 'going down' and seen as clever play. Cheated has been accepted and even praised. 

The amount I've heard there was "clearly" contact Guzan made with his elbow/stomach/knee, you'd have thought he was giving him a hug.

I think a depressing gap between pundits and fans have appeared over this. A dodgy decision happened, we suffered, not the first or last time - it's annoying but we'll get over it. What really makes me feel disillusionment is the lack of anyone making a counter argument or trying, really, to understand why we think it wasn't a penalty. Between Linekar's scowling condescension and Neville's fatuous appeal to authority ("we're professionals"), the closest I've seen is Pat Nevin saying he would give it "but..."

It's depressing really.

• Like 1

If Young was in Suarez's position I don't think he'd be getting this kind of support from the pundits.

if suarez wasn't banging in goals left right and centre for a resurgent liverpool and being the prems shining light at the moment then i doubt he'd be getting this kind of support from the pundits

the media's liverpool / suarez agenda has shifted by the looks of it

If Young was in Suarez's position I don't think he'd be getting this kind of support from the pundits.

if suarez wasn't banging in goals left right and centre for a resurgent liverpool and being the prems shining light at the moment then i doubt he'd be getting this kind of support from the pundits

I'm not normally one to buy into conspiracies but this makes a lot of sense.

Get 'em on Splash...

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but cheating became acceptable in football a loooooong time ago.

Cheers, saving myself the best part of five hundred notes then from July this year ;-)

Here's a scenario. 

a player tries a back heel. Just before he touches the ball, a defender knocks the ball away. There is minor contact. So is this a sending off? The player back heeling makes contact studs up

Here's a scenario. 

a player tries a back heel. Just before he touches the ball, a defender knocks the ball away. There is minor contact. So is this a sending off? The player back heeling makes contact studs up

It's for the ref to determine whether there was an intent to foul. The amount of contact (including no contact) isn't relevant. Winning the ball isn't relevant. "Studs up" isn't relevant (it's only relevant to determine what caution if any is required).

So you can have a fist full of a opposition players shirt on a corner but a brush in the box and its a stone wall penalty?

Yeah, which is the problem. All the shirt pulling, grabbing of bodies and so on should actually be penalties but they are never (or at least very rarely) given. I guess the excuse would be that it'd be because it would be too hard for referees to be consistent with since it happens at every corner. I bet it wouldn't happen every corner if they started clamping down though.

I'm not normally one to buy into conspiracies but this makes a lot of sense.

Liar, you were seen holding hands with David Icke last week..!

And for what it is worth, I also agree with that theory.

;)

Â