Alan Shearer on Suarez Penalty

smetrov

He's allowed to reach for the ball as long as he doesn't intend to obstruct the player.

If he does then, accidentally, obstruct the player then it's a foul and a penalty and not a red card. At least that's the rule that we've been peddled all these years.

He obstructs him, no doubt about it. We had this same debate when that Sunderland player did the same to Weimann and wasn't sent off.

So, if any of you agree that it's both a foul and a dive, what's the rule there? Even if you don't agree it is both in this instance. That's what the mongs in the studio need to start questioning more often IMO.

"accidentally" means without intent. No intent means no foul.

Please can you explain to me what has changed in rule 12 (or its interpretation) which would make your claim true?

Cautions for unsporting behaviour

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for 
unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:

... commits a foul for the tactical purpose of interfering with or breaking up a 
promising attack

This is the source of the "professional foul" term. I don't see how this helps your argument. The player still needs to have committed a foul or intended to commit a foul. Contact is not enough.

From what you're saying limpid it makes you question whether more penalties should be awarded from all the shirt pulling, pushing and so on when set pieces are being taken.

We easily see more penalties for diving or slight bits of contact in the box in open play than we do for genuine fouls, quite silly really.

No, I'm saying there was no intent to foul. Tackling is allowed.

Indeed. But if you mistime your tackle and take the man, or even if the man jumps out of the way (or dives in this case) of being taken out, then currently it's a foul. And a penalty.

What I'm asking is, which "foul play" takes precedence here? Because to me that's both a foul and a dive.

... apart from TV companies needing to employ people who actually know the rules of the game? :)

It's a start.

I don't think there's enough of a deterrent at the minute. At worst there Suarez is carded whilst "winning" a penalty. Trouble is, he kind of has to dive there.

When we played Sunderland Albrighton (I think) caught Ki with a challenge in the box. Ki stays on his feet, no pen. If he went down I've no doubt the ref would have pointed, it was a stonewaller.

He was grinning like a cheshire cat the second he hit the ground. But, I remember years ago someone saying there was no point arguing about it.....the ref gave it, therefore it was a penalty.

I beg to differ. It was a penalty decision......not a penalty.

Of course, it won't change the result and if he does the same next week, then he'll probably get the same decision.

It's just typical though,isn't it? Suarez gets absolutely wiped out by Eto'o at Stamford Bridge and doesn't get a stonewall penalty, but at Anfield against us he feels the merest touch, goes down and he gets one.

C'est la vie.

This is why football definitely needs video referiing, it takes just 10-30 seconds to get info to the ref.

Absolutely. To me, in rugby, it actually adds to the game, adds suspense.

And stops all the complaints on the pitch.

Video refereeing will happen eventually!

Video reffing doesn't really solve the problem though.

Take the NFL. They make an instant decision, then will review it. Unless there is clear evidence to overturn it, then they can't. Therefore the initial decision is still massively influential. Being a referee is far too subjective to solve the problem using video evidence IMO.

This is why football definitely needs video referiing, it takes just 10-30 seconds to get info to the ref.

i think the opposite, i think this is why video refs wont work

if shearer or lineker was the video ref for example...

Video referees are actual referees, not overpaid pundits.

That is why it would work.

Â