Alan Shearer on Suarez Penalty

smetrov

If Guzan clipped Suarez with his knee, how was he able to left that leg over Guzan's body? Lineker claims it was his stomach, Shearer was his knee, Rodgers says it was his glove.

I say it was **** all.

It's utterly embarrassing. I really do hate football at times. The cheating is bad enough, but it's the sycophants sucking up to the big clubs. There's not enough contact to warrant a penalty. It's certainly not enough for a foul. Had that been anywhere else on the pitch then the referee would have probably told Suarez to get up.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

As I said to my Liverpool supporting friend on Facebook.

I'm not stupid enough to realise WHY the referee gave it, it doesn't mean it wasn't a dive. It's new modern football. You sit there with pundits trying to tell us contact is a foul, unless it's from a corner then you can essentially sexually harass and it's fine. If you think contact is a foul (and I'm not convinced either way there was contact yesterday) then you have to accept diving and not moan like a little bitch when it happens against you

Here's what Liverpool fans are using as 'evidence':

BeTH2YyCUAAecwy.jpg

All that really demonstrates is that Suarez is taking his body away from Guzan. To suggest there is contact from one screengrab is inconclusive and clutching at straws.

BeWion2CUAAz-hn.jpg

When you are using Robbie Savage or MOTD pundits to argue any point in football, you are most likely wrong.

Edited by The_Steve

All I wanted last night was a balanced debate on motd, what I got was 3 blokes who said it was a pen because the was clear contact, they didn't, not even once show a replay and zoom in to prove where that contact was, and then when the fid he dive poll results were shown it was greeted with a sarcastic brush off by lineker

The trouble is these pundits don't really have to do much more than repeat there well rehearsed sound bites to fit the various situations that crop up. Don't forget they are exclusively ex footballers who have latched on to an easy final pay day. Creative journalists they are not.

Thus the usual cliches are handed down week after week, 'if there is contact he is entitled to go down', 'clever play by the forward' etc etc

To my mind if a player is entitled to go down then the inference is that he has a choice in the matter. If he chooses to fall then theoretically he has dived. Furthermore if he chooses to fall when he could easily stay up he is trying to gain an advantage. 

In the current climate yesterdays incident could have gone either way but I think lazy journalism has a lot to answer for

As has already been stated, this was not an issue 20 years ago but these 'clever players'  and the ritual condoning of their actions by experts and trial by television has radically changed how the rules are interpreted. 

PS well done the Villa boys

Great quote from Hoddle about an incident in this Chelsea vs Manure game.

He said football now is like watching a basketball game.

It is true, even if there is the slightest of contact, does that always mean there is a foul? It is a contact sport after all, yet we are seeing players dive all over the place and screaming for penalties when there is the most minute bit of player to player contact. 

Â