Alan Shearer on Suarez Penalty

smetrov

I might be being paranoid but if that had been Mignolet on Gabby and a penalty had been given I doubt we would be seeing such staunch defence of Gab in the press.

Absolutely this.

I was surprised in the Arsenal game that we actually got decisions.

This is why football definitely needs video referiing, it takes just 10-30 seconds to get info to the ref.

i think the opposite, i think this is why video refs wont work

if shearer or lineker was the video ref for example...

Video referees are actual referees, not overpaid pundits.

That is why it would work.

obviously they would be proper refs...

what i meant was people like lineker and shearer are convinced they've seen something, its pretty much impossible to prove conclusively either way, who's to say the video ref would get it right? you could watch that 100 times and all you'll be left with is your opinion, you wont establish fact

therefore i dont think you use it

• Like 2

What was all that bollocks about Suarez having to jump out the way? he turned to his left to knock the ball away from Guzan - who is perfectly within his rights to be where ever he would like on the pitch no matter how 'silly' or 'naive' an ex-professional footballer thinks it is - and then falls over. It's easy to see from the replay that if he had planted his left foot he would have been in no way impeded from what he was intending to do. He chose to throw it back underneath himself however, so the only person to impede Suarez was himself.

edit: Didn't Shearer also say "you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker"? No, it's very simple, if you are unsure you can't give it.

Edited by sellbydate
  • Like 1

Maybe we should use hot spot in football so we can determine if there's contact?

I'm joking by the way before anyone says anything.

We could use the heat.........

......and we could draw it out......

......like a sort of map.........

.....OMG SOMEBODY GET CON!!!!

In all seriousness though I would be all for further technology in football. I know it takes away some tradition and what not but the game has changed to such an extent that the referees need more help to call impossible situations that never used to exist. Besides, video refs and the like add an extra dimension to the game.

for those asking about goals on sunday - 

di mateo / pearce basically said suarez went down cheaply, as you would expect any striker to do, and from where the ref is (showed him miles away up the pitch) there is no other decision he can give

also showed it over and over super slow mo and kammy said its his thigh that clips him, slight contact, probably not enough to make him go down, but every striker will go down

di mateo said that you would hope your player would go down and try and win a penalty

pearce said guzan is every bit as much to blame as suarez

basically protected the ref, criticised guzan, didnt say anything about suarez's previous form for diving which was the disappointing thing

for those asking about goals on sunday -

di mateo / pearce basically said suarez went down cheaply, as you would expect any striker to do, and from where the ref is (showed him miles away up the pitch) there is no other decision he can give

Well if he's miles away therefore he can't be 100% sure therefore you don't give it.

Since when did the benefit of the doubt go to the attacker?

Rdm saying you'd hope your player would go down shows what's wrong with the game.

I don't understand how players can barge into each other, pull shirts, etc and it's not even a foul, but a tiny inconsequential bit of contact in the penalty area, if indeed it was contact, and it's a game altering decision.

Also, why no card for Guzan if it was a clear foul in the box?

Watching this decision just now, I'm surprised there so much fuss tbh. Yeah, he plays for the penalty, but I've seen hundreds more obvious dives than that one, and Guzan was somewhat foolish. 

<runs away quickly>

• Like 1

Watching this decision just now, I'm surprised there so much fuss tbh. Yeah, he plays for the penalty, but I've seen hundreds more obvious dives than that one, and Guzan was somewhat foolish. 

<runs away quickly>

this is my opinion too. Ref was weak but Guzan was at fault for rashly committing and allowing the situation to unfold

I haven't read the whole of this thread to be fair so some of my comments may have been repeated elsewhere.

I just thought it was embarrassong to see Shearer have to raise his voice to try and convey his point across, as though shouting was going to make his view more valid. It didn't and it wasn't. He should be rolled in a blanket of woven bogeys and hung from the gallows - Alan 'Elbow... Stamp' Shearer.

With regards to the buck toothed Uruguayan - after he beavered his way through a Chelsea player's arm last season, he was villified by the press (and rightly so) and threatened to quit England because of the media harrassment he felt he was receiving. Now, I could be wide of the mark, but maybe Lineker and Co, the Guardian et al are all going easy on the 'venemous, cheesy grinning cheat that is Luis Suarez' so that he continues to generate attention on the world's greatest football league.

Maybe I am wrong... but then my maths has always been poor.

UTV.

• Like 1

Not caring much for the national team myself I would actually quite like to see a similar dive to win a penalty in the first half against England, just to see what the response in the BBC studio at half time would be. England can go on to win the game in the second half when Delph comes on and ends Suarez's tournament with a cruncher.

• Like 1

It'd be hilarious if Suarez dived against England to win a penalty. The hypocrisy would soon be exposed.

7) When will penalty-box grappling be penalised?

Some will claim the controversy over Liverpool's penalty against Aston Villa arose purely from Luis Suárez being the beneficiary, conveniently ignoring the controversy that surrounded Raheem Sterling when he won a softer penalty decision at Stoke City last weekend. Brendan Rodgers described that award as a "Spanish penalty" and Saturday's as "a Uruguayan penalty". What will concern the Liverpool manager is not the distances his team are travelling to get spot-kicks but the need for one to get them out of trouble on successive weekends. The referee Jon Moss gave an honest, split-second decision when, from his angle, Brad Guzan appeared to slide through Suárez's feet. There was contact, but less than when Ciaran Clarke was grappled at a corner before heading against a post at Anfield. It was the kind of contact that goes on at every set-piece delivery into the area in a Premier League game. Why the discrepancy? Andy Hunter

Good point raised in the Guardian's weekly talking points.

• Like 1

Â