Alan Shearer on Suarez Penalty

smetrov

I appreciate he had a split second to make his decision and to a degree don't blame the ref but Guzan running over to Suarez and shouting at him for cheating should have been the obvious clue as far as the ref is concerned

Watching this decision just now, I'm surprised there so much fuss tbh. Yeah, he plays for the penalty, but I've seen hundreds more obvious dives than that one, and Guzan was somewhat foolish.

<runs away quickly>

this is my opinion too. Ref was weak but Guzan was at fault for rashly committing and allowing the situation to unfold

I don't get this, why's it guzans fault for Suarez diving?

He came out to make it difficult for Suarez which you could argue he did.

Guzan: "I asked (Suarez) - because I was pretty confident in myself I hadn't touched him - 'Did I touch you?' and he said 'I don't know'.

"That is the honest truth of it. Sometimes they go for you, sometimes not.

"Obviously the referee has given it but at the time I thought I pulled my hands back and I don't think I made contact with him.

"I don't know if the referee can see that or not as I don't know his positioning. From my point of view it is probably a soft decision.

"I think Suarez was probably a bit surprised to have it given but those are the decisions and you have to get on with it and go again."

Guzan: "I asked (Suarez) - because I was pretty confident in myself I hadn't touched him - 'Did I touch you?' and he said 'I don't know'.

"That is the honest truth of it. Sometimes they go for you, sometimes not.

"Obviously the referee has given it but at the time I thought I pulled my hands back and I don't think I made contact with him.

"I don't know if the referee can see that or not as I don't know his positioning. From my point of view it is probably a soft decision.

"I think Suarez was probably a bit surprised to have it given but those are the decisions and you have to get on with it and go again."

DiscoLambo.jpg

• Like 2

It'd be hilarious if Suarez dived against England to win a penalty. The hypocrisy would soon be exposed.

7) When will penalty-box grappling be penalised?

Some will claim the controversy over Liverpool's penalty against Aston Villa arose purely from Luis Suárez being the beneficiary, conveniently ignoring the controversy that surrounded Raheem Sterling when he won a softer penalty decision at Stoke City last weekend. Brendan Rodgers described that award as a "Spanish penalty" and Saturday's as "a Uruguayan penalty". What will concern the Liverpool manager is not the distances his team are travelling to get spot-kicks but the need for one to get them out of trouble on successive weekends. The referee Jon Moss gave an honest, split-second decision when, from his angle, Brad Guzan appeared to slide through Suárez's feet. There was contact, but less than when Ciaran Clarke was grappled at a corner before heading against a post at Anfield. It was the kind of contact that goes on at every set-piece delivery into the area in a Premier League game. Why the discrepancy? Andy Hunter

Good point raised in the Guardian's weekly talking points.

I'm pretty sure that's the point we made in this thread.

I appreciate he had a split second to make his decision and to a degree don't blame the ref but Guzan running over to Suarez and shouting at him for cheating should have been the obvious clue as far as the ref is concerned

Players object to correctly given decisions all of the time.

Players object to correctly given decisions all of the time.

They do indeed but in context you could see Guzan was livid ... You can usually tell the difference

It'd be hilarious if Suarez dived against England to win a penalty. The hypocrisy would soon be exposed.

7) When will penalty-box grappling be penalised?

Some will claim the controversy over Liverpool's penalty against Aston Villa arose purely from Luis Suárez being the beneficiary, conveniently ignoring the controversy that surrounded Raheem Sterling when he won a softer penalty decision at Stoke City last weekend. Brendan Rodgers described that award as a "Spanish penalty" and Saturday's as "a Uruguayan penalty". What will concern the Liverpool manager is not the distances his team are travelling to get spot-kicks but the need for one to get them out of trouble on successive weekends. The referee Jon Moss gave an honest, split-second decision when, from his angle, Brad Guzan appeared to slide through Suárez's feet. There was contact, but less than when Ciaran Clarke was grappled at a corner before heading against a post at Anfield. It was the kind of contact that goes on at every set-piece delivery into the area in a Premier League game. Why the discrepancy? Andy Hunter

Good point raised in the Guardian's weekly talking points.

I'm pretty sure that's the point we made in this thread.

True. I mean it's one of the few media to address it. It's usually 'Suarez good, Guzan bad'.

Carragher and Neville both saying it was a penalty and you can't blame him for "winning it" - expected better from Neville to be fair, Carragher surprisingly said he went down very easily. Neville reckons the contact was between Guzan's knee and Suarez' foot.

Neville now saying every professional player will have gone down easily and tried to win a free kick or penalty and he can't believe there are "ex professionals" (I'm guessing Collymore) who are moaning. 

Edited by samjp26

Think I am past the actual penalty and Suarez is a cheat, we know this, so it was expected. What is annoying me is all these pundits that are ex players glorifying what he did and making Guzan out to be the bad guy, fair enough he could have done better but condoning diving is ridiculous. The fact that it is the majority of pundits doing it as well really baffles me, nobody is saying anything against it apart from Collymore.

• Like 2

It's quite amazing as all these pundits can't agree where there was contact...was it his knee, his elbow, his forarm or his chest. Either way they don't know the rules of the game.

Gary's stance is not really an argument, he expects his forward to "go down" (I say dive) in that situation does not argue that it should be a penalty or not. He looks at it purely as a professional, which I suppose is a way of looking at it...and I would say 9 out of 10 footballers would go down, doesn't change the fact he dived and cheated.

• Like 1

It's quite amazing as all these pundits can't agree where there was contact...was it his knee, his elbow, his forarm or his chest. Either way they don't know the rules of the game.

Gary's stance is not really an argument, he expects his forward to "go down" (I say dive) in that situation does not argue that it should be a penalty or not. He looks at it purely as a professional, which I suppose is a way of looking at it...and I would say 9 out of 10 footballers would go down, doesn't change the fact he dived and cheated.

Yeah this is the thing, there is a massive difference between whether it was a penalty and whether it was a dive, I'd have no problem with one of these pundits saying yes I'd have given the penalty if I were the ref but yes it was a dive.

I also think it is funny as you say that nobody can agree on a point of contact, which shows there is no clear contact at all.

Interested in what Neville has to say about it tonight

by the looks of my facebook timeline he joined the protect the flavour of the month bandwagon

carragher you dont even need to ask, probably dribbled and spat some red tinted bullshit like he always does

So there's so much "simulation" about these days that more and more people in the game are accepting it as the normal thing to do? Ridiculous.

In that case, diving lessons in training today, Lambo!

Utterley ridiculous listening to Carragher and Neville tonight - first arguing that 'every pro has done all they can to win a decision' (i.e. cheat) and later that 'if you haven't even been touched and simulate that is different, there are different degrees to it' - can't they hear themselves ?

So everyone does it and it is acceptted, unless you do it when someone thinks you have overdone it then it is wrong.

Makes you want to stop watching the game altogether.

Where are FIFA/ the FA in all this, as all the pro's admit to cheating !!!!!

And the cheek of using Weiman versus Reina - it actually proves the opposite of what JC said - if you watch the reason Reina CAN stay on his feet is because WEiman genuinely tries to go round him, rather than deliberately playing for the foul.

I could throw something Grrrrrrrrrr

Anyway, I hated the one where the cheating Clnt jumped into Sylla and then went flying over to win a free kick from which he nearly scored.  Ref fell for it as they so often do, but that was cheating too.

One of the reasons I am/have falling/fallen out of love with football is things like this, cheating is now the norm.

Sick.

Just looking at it again, when Gabby is through after a Benteke flick in the first few minutes, it's the same thing. Gabby gets there first, all he has to do is just run into Mignolet but he doesn't, he just avoids him. The difference between a cheat and an honest player.

Â