Grant Holt

samjp26

Holt coming in has given us a bit of experience. The alternative was no-one.

It has also enabled Bowery to go out on loan and get a few games - either so that we can flog him or improve him.

I think the moaners are comparing him to signing Benteke #2, which was never going to happen.

I think Grant Holt being in the squad is more important than Holt being on the pitch. He was always going to come in and be a bit part player. He seems quite a character, but he's also a leader and gives that bit of know how to the side. I remember the WBA game in particular and his experience of holding it, winning free-kicks, telling CB where to be.

• Like 2

I think Grant Holt being in the squad is more important than Holt being on the pitch. He was always going to come in and be a bit part player. He seems quite a character, but he's also a leader and gives that bit of know how to the side. I remember the WBA game in particular and his experience of holding it, winning free-kicks, telling CB where to be.

And also an influential character bigging up the manager in front of the younger players, just in case there's the risk of PL losing the dressing room.

No, the alternative was sticking with the five strikers (excluding Kozak) that we had already.

• Like 2

He displayed absolutely no know how or experience whatsoever when he came on against Norwich.  Other than the ability to lose the ball every time he had it.  How could any of the younger players learn anything from him lumping his carcass around the pitch to poor effect?

• Like 1

It's interesting the defence he's receiving.

Terrible terrible player... but we all knew that before he signed.

Obviously no one knows how good he is in the dressing room, I imagine Lambo will come out at some point and say how brilliant he was to try and justify the signing. I can only see it demotivating the likes of Helenius, Bowery, Robinson, Burke, even non-forwards like Albrighton and Tonev that they aren't getting mins on the pitch ahead of him.

Weimann was fuming when he got brought off for him against West Ham.

• Like 1

Lambert is our manager and Vlaar our captain.  It's a pretty sad state of affairs if we have to pay some random lummox to come in and gee the troops up.

Lambert is our manager and Vlaar our captain. It's a pretty sad state of affairs if we have to pay some random lummox to come in and gee the troops up.

Agreed. And really why would any of our players look up to Holt?

Well, he is a 'proper man' according to our manager ;)

No, the alternative was sticking with the five strikers (excluding Kozak) that we had already.

Who have no experience at all, and also can't play as a target man.

Lambert is our manager and Vlaar our captain. It's a pretty sad state of affairs if we have to pay some random lummox to come in and gee the troops up.

Agreed. And really why would any of our players look up to Holt?

hmmm maybe because he has played and scored in every English league and at one time was in line for an England call up. I think you call that experience.

Also it's now 10 weeks untill he leaves the club....still 10 weeks left of moaning for the Holt Hate Brigade.

Well people are often trying to defend the indefensible on here.

We have a manager and backroom staff to influence the dressing room.

We would have been better off looking in the yellow pages for the local kids entertainer or local motivational speaker to provide dressing room laughs/moral?

And what is wrong with questioning decisions made by the manager? Is he beyond reproach?

Personally I think it's condescending to think that those of us who think the Holt signing was a waste of time and money are not very knowledgeable on football?

Plus personally I think this signing summed up Lamberts desperation and smacked of him clutching at straws when his only targets in January were players he knew from his previous club.

I think he is in over his head and our inconsistency shows this. We IMO don't play well occasionally because of what Lambert does, we play well occasionally in spite of what he says.  

• Like 1

The idea Holt was signed for motivational and inspirational reasons is ridiculous and stupid. He was signed because Lambert wanted a target man on the bench to replace kozak. He was an awful signing, has looked embarrassingly bad on the pitch and is just a complete waste of time.

• Like 3

He displayed absolutely no know how or experience whatsoever when he came on against Norwich.  Other than the ability to lose the ball every time he had it.  How could any of the younger players learn anything from him lumping his carcass around the pitch to poor effect?

The idea Holt was signed for motivational and inspirational reasons is ridiculous and stupid. He was signed because Lambert wanted a target man on the bench to replace kozak. He was an awful signing, has looked embarrassingly bad on the pitch and is just a complete waste of time.

Nice of you to change the wording to motivational and inspiration. No the words used was 'Experience and Leadership' he has experience of battling, he has leadership shown which lead Norwich from League 1 to staying in the Premiership. I doubt he will be here next season anyway, I wonder who your next target will be. Yes he wasn't great against Norwich but neither was Albrighton when he came on. I like how you mention the Norwich game but then don't mention in the same instance he helped us beat Albion by keeping the ball further up field.

Holt has already been described by the manager as a poor trainer.

Why would we bring in such a player and say to the younger ones - "look - follow this blokes example - he's a real man." ?

It doesn't make sense.

Lambert is our manager and Vlaar our captain.  It's a pretty sad state of affairs if we have to pay some random lummox to come in and gee the troops up.

Yep you only need one experienced player in a squad.

That isn't what I said, whatsoever.  If you're now questioning the amount of younger players in the squad, then that's a direct criticism of Lambert's overall transfer policy.  If Lambert needs to bring in somebody as clearly rubbish as Holt is to provide some "experience" then maybe he should have bought some older, decent players in the first place.  And that doesn't mean paying ridiculous wages to people who are well past it.

Â