Steven Defour

Avflife

DeFour had a decent season followed by a good season and that was what brought him to the attention of the football world, allied to his age, he was relatively young don't forget and so people thought he could only improve.

He went to the wrong club, probably for the money and instead of improving, he went the other way.

Now, if he gets the right club, playing the right system, he might just be able to get back to where he was but, then again he might not.

DeFour would be just the same as any other buy, a gamble. 

Taking all things into account, his time has probably come and gone.

Hmmm, I doubt his time has come and gone? Unless you mean where it would have been possible for us to sign him. Porto see him as the future of their midfield and want him to stay, he wants games as he wants to play at the world cup in Brazil.

I think he would be good for us because he has already played with Benteke at a decent level, and he'd work well with what we have in Delph and Westwood. Doesn't look like we were in for him though by what has been said by the club, his agent looks to have what he wanted by managing to get a prem team interested using our good name in teh press.  

Hmmm, I doubt his time has come and gone? Unless you mean where it would have been possible for us to sign him. Porto see him as the future of their midfield and want him to stay, he wants games as he wants to play at the world cup in Brazil.

Future of their midfield? He's 25. How far in the future do you reckon that might be?

Not convinced we ever were or ever should be interested, though like most of you I've never seen him play.

Only going on what has been knocking about the last couple of weeks...

“Porto won't let him go just like that. They feel Steven is important in their future plans, but right now, he needs time on the pitch.”

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1682522/aston-villa-anderlecht-keen-porto-midfielder-steven-defour-agent?cc=5739

FWIW I agree, no idea if we ever were interested at all in the first place. Hopefully we will get someone for this position in sooner rather than later though!

Future of their midfield? He's 25. How far in the future do you reckon that might be?

Not convinced we ever were or ever should be interested, though like most of you I've never seen him play.

The next 5 yes maybe? He's not washed up because he's 25

DeFour had a decent season followed by a good season and that was what brought him to the attention of the football world, allied to his age, he was relatively young don't forget and so people thought he could only improve.

He went to the wrong club, probably for the money and instead of improving, he went the other way.

Now, if he gets the right club, playing the right system, he might just be able to get back to where he was but, then again he might not.

DeFour would be just the same as any other buy, a gamble. 

Taking all things into account, his time has probably come and gone.

Not ever interested=never good enough=typical VT!

Definitely a missed opportunity to sign a player that would improve our midfield.

The next 5 yes maybe? He's not washed up because he's 25

I didn't say he was, just that if he's not playing a significant role already at 25 then what are they expecting to change? He's not exactly "one for the future", he's about to enter his prime years.

Only going on what has been knocking about the last couple of weeks...

“Porto won't let him go just like that. They feel Steven is important in their future plans, but right now, he needs time on the pitch.”

- http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1682522/aston-villa-anderlecht-keen-porto-midfielder-steven-defour-agent?cc=5739

FWIW I agree, no idea if we ever were interested at all in the first place. Hopefully we will get someone for this position in sooner rather than later though!

So says his agent.

At 25 he's about a year or a year and a half older than many of our "young and vibrant" players...

I know. Most of our players are "of age" now. They should be showing something a little closer to the final product.

Clark is one that has improved massively, Benteke obviously has it with a couple of years to go. Delph is starting to find it, he just needs consistency. Westwood has lost it, but has shown something and he's obviously being given time.

My point was that if you've not got "it" by 25 then you're unlikely to develop much further. Now I know he broke his leg, so maybe I'm being harsh, but to be labelled "the future" whilst not playing much at 25 seems off base to me.

At 25 he's about a year or a year and a half older than many of our "young and vibrant" players...

I know. Most of our players are "of age" now. They should be showing something a little closer to the final product.

Clark is one that has improved massively, Benteke obviously has it with a couple of years to go. Delph is starting to find it, he just needs consistency. Westwood has lost it, but has shown something and he's obviously being given time.

My point was that if you've not got "it" by 25 then you're unlikely to develop much further. Now I know he broke his leg, so maybe I'm being harsh, but to be labelled "the future" whilst not playing much at 25 seems off base to me.

Yeah I agree with this and I think that's why Defour want's to move. He needs to play regularly at the age he's at.

After such a bad injury he's a gamble, but one i'd hope we were willing to make as when i seen him before the injury he was very good.

He was captain at Standard Leige in a midfield of Witsel, Fellaini, Defour. That team played some wonderful football 

I've never actually seen him play, so my judgement is irrelevant to a degree.

I will ask just to play devils advocate, is there a possibility he was made to look "better" due to the quality around him? Because it's clear we don't have anywhere near the quality of Witsel and Fellaini in midfield.

FYI not that I've seen much of Witsel either (but too much of Fellaini at times)

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â