Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Alex Ferguson, had a doubtful 5 years at Old Trafford to start with and Roberto Martinez had a difficult time with Wigan.

One thing that kept their personal stock high, was playing football.

Their template was clear and they played the game the right way.

Results are ultimately what the game is all about, but your football philosophy is what wins you friends and helps to fill the stadium.

If we were winning and losing in equal lots, but the football was good, folk would be quicker to believe we are in progress, but whilst the play and the basics of it are in short supply, its no wonder there are an increasing number of doubters.

Fair post. We have gone backwards since last season football wise no doubt. What happened to "We are Aston Villa, we are passing the ball!"? He can clearly get his teams playing well, baffling he doesnt recently.

His point was that being tall doesn't mean you can't be agile.

ding ding ding

You said, 'being that tall he'll have the turning circle of a barge.' and I replied that I'm tall and fairly agile. It has nothing to do with what 'top team I play for'. What a load of patronising guff.

ding ding ding

You said, 'being that tall he'll have the turning circle of a barge.' and I replied that I'm tall and fairly agile. It has nothing to do with what 'top team I play for'. What a load of patronising guff.

Back to the point: Helenius is 6'5". Give me a 6'5 winger/wide man in a top side? or 6'3" even.

Read the thread Brinny-Then you might glean an idea as to what Moyes has to do with it.

He was slaughtered, chastised & hated by Everton fans in his first 2 seasons-Looking at the stats that you've sought to dig out on a Saturday nigh/Sunday morning, its clearly the 2nd season that ruffled the fans feathers.

If Lambert managed the same turn around (17th to 4th) would you forgive him & go & stand on the naughty step for an hour?

Edited by Butterfingers

Height is a guide but not everything. Just like CB's are traditionally tall, but there are plenty of smaller ones. True, wingers are traditionally small and tricky, but that doesn't mean that a tall player can't be one.

It's fairly ridiculous to base your entire opinion on height. Almost as ridiculous as saying that because you're tall, you can't turn sharply..

Sorry, can't let you get away with that. I will stick my neck out (like I do quite often) there is no way on earth he can be a wide man - being that tall he'll have the turning circle of a barge. Same for being a link up man. He will eventually be a target man or nothing - that is my prediction. Peter Crouch is a target man who 'has good feet for a big man'. Same thing.

BTW - it's not just an English thing.

Can't let me get away with what? I never said he would be a wide man or a number 10, I just said he's not a target man. I don't know how you can say he'll either be a target man or nothing as there are lots of examples of tall players whose height isn't the main part of their game.

It is a big problem in England though - this focus on size is one of the reasons why the national team are doing so poorly.

I said he was bought as a target man - where do you think he'll end up playing? If you remember the point it's about Lambert's reason for buying him.

And what are you basing this on? I seriously doubt Lambert brought Helenius as a target man. Why would he? He clearly isn't cut out for that role and there are plenty of other strikers out there who are.

David Moyes 1st 2 or 3 years at Everton were horrendous & he copped for far worse stick than Lambert is getting. 

No idea what David Moyes has to do with this but, for the record, Moyes's first 3 full seasons with Everton produced 7th, 17th and 4th, so maybe only one "horrendous" season.

By his 4th season he had them playing in Europe.

And Lambert's only halfway into his second season, in which we can conceivably finish 10th even playing this poorly. So not too far from Moyes' first 2 seasons.

• Like 1

ding ding ding

ding ding ding

Back to the point: Helenius is 6'5". Give me a 6'5 winger/wide man in a top side? or 6'3" even.

Marko Arnautovic, Stoke City ;)

David Moyes 1st 2 or 3 years at Everton were horrendous & he copped for far worse stick than Lambert is getting.

No idea what David Moyes has to do with this but, for the record, Moyes's first 3 full seasons with Everton produced 7th, 17th and 4th, so maybe only one "horrendous" season.

By his 4th season he had them playing in Europe.

And Lambert's only halfway into his second season, in which we can conceivably finish 10th even playing this poorly. So not too far from Moyes' first 2 seasons.

Ho ho. ;)

Lets see what he does this transfer window. He failed to. Bring an AM to the side the last few windows. It is crucial to the way he sets up his teams. I would give him till the end of the season. Unless we lose 5 straight with his new players. Then we are in trouble. Lets sre what happens in 6 weeks. We cant keep chopping and changing. Lerner will not find or afford a better manager.

• Like 1

There are many reasons why this manager should be out.

Stubborn boring long ball tactics.

Low possession football.

Terrible home results and performances.

Not giving the good youth players a chance even in cup games that he doesn't believe in.

So many poor signings.

His clueless team selections.

His clueless substitutions.

"We go again".

Unless he signs a decent attacking midfielder this window I can't see how he can continue to be in charge next season, however if we (supporters) could see some genuine improvement or at least see him give some of our youngsters a chance (the likes of Gardner, Carruthers, Johnson, Donacien and Grealish to name a few even if it doesn't work out they can't be worse than seeing Tonev butcher the game we love) maybe he might just keep our interest.

Something needs to change, we showed alot of promise last season with the style of football we were playing god knows why we've reverted to hoof ball tactics.

As for Lambert I think we all know Learner won't sack him mid season if it all so we're stuck with him I'm afraid.

If he were to be sacked who would take over?

The OP asks the wrong question - "should he be sacked". It's arguable, as demonstrated over the last 100 odd pages. There are certainly compelling reason why he should be.

But, a more important question is will he be sacked, and I think it's an emphatic no.

The reasons for this is

(1) RL believes in the 'PL project' and PL is meeting the target set out at the start of the season - reducing costs and avoiding relegation.

(2) I don't think RL has got the stomach for another managerial recruitment process

(3) I don't think RL wants the cost of terminating the current management team's contracts and the potential cost of compensation of a replacement managerial team.

(4) a new manager will require another £40-50 million to refresh the squad in his own image. Can imagine RL seeing that giving PL £10-15m cheaper/better value.

So should PL be sacked? maybe. Will he be sacked, not in a million years and there's no amount internet discussions or fan protests is going to change this.

ding ding ding

ding ding ding

Couldn't name you one, but IMO Helenius is more of a number 10 than a traditional number nine. He possesses unbelievable control of the ball at his feet for someone who is 6'5", wouldn't mind seeing him playing in a roll just behind Benteke and Gabby in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Can't personally see someone who is over 6'2" being a winger myself.

Edited by Avflife

Height is a guide but not everything. Just like CB's are traditionally tall, but there are plenty of smaller ones. True, wingers are traditionally small and tricky, but that doesn't mean that a tall player can't be one.

It's fairly ridiculous to base your entire opinion on height. Almost as ridiculous as saying that because you're tall, you can't turn sharply..

but if your game is based on twisting and turning, being 6' 4" ain't going to help. The traditional size of players is what it is for a reason....If someone wants to be unorthodox there is nothing to stop them.

You can call it ridiculous all you like but you still cannot give me an example can you? I'm talking PL, not comparing yourself to your fat mates down the park. And I am 6'3" too.

• Like 1