Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Can this whole thread just be re-named 'The Paul Lambert Thread' or something? The title of the thread makes a mockery of the majority of Villa fans.

I would be fuming if we sacked Lambert at this stage. Give him to the end of NEXT season at least.

I would stop going down if we sacked Lambert and replaced him with someone like Clark.

well said.. this talk of lambert getting the sack is ridiculous i say. he's doing a decent jobs so far and IMO will only get better now he has a squad. just a little tweaking here and there with better quality and we'll be a decent team. i really think were not that far away

yep I agree, can we rename the thread please mods?

Some quotes from PL about the FA Cup here https://twitter.com/rego1965

I can understand Lambert's views regarding the FA cup, especially considering injuries and the amount of games we have had to play over Christmas. It is a balancing act. The league is the top priority and rightly so IMO.

He hasn't put together a strong enough squad, so the bottler is getting his excuses in early.

At my most charitable, I add this the list of things that Lambert has yet to learn: how to handle a simple question from the press without creating massive headlines that say what you didn't mean to say.

However, he comes over as someone who is losing his appetite for the job. If he's not up for the FA cup, he's losing his will to win. If he is up for it, of course what he said was totally misleading and he should clarify his position. (Not just do it by the rather sideways method of getting HairyHands to clarify on his behalf).

Or rather (IMO, of course): What various media claims to be what he said was totally misleading ...

The original interview I've listened to is quite different from the bits and pieces I've seen online purporting to represent the gist of his interview. In the full interview, I think that he does not come across as someone who has lost his appetite, neither for his job nor for the FA cup, but rather as someone who recognises that the first and foremost task at hand for most PL clubs (including Aston Villa) is PL survival, and if possible, CL qualification, just because that's the way modern football works...

If an extended cup run (or indeed winning the cup itself) is possible, that's desirable (even though he feels medals are less worth to the modern player than the value of the individual player's contract), but a bonus - PL achievements take precedence over memorable cup moments. I got the feeling that it's not necessarily what he wants, but simply an acknowledgement of what modern football has become. Oh, and he talks on behalf of most PL clubs and managers, not Aston Villa throughout.... The only thing in the interview strictly referring to Villa was what would affect his team selection most: the upcoming Sheffield United game or the following Arsenal game. 

IMO, of course. As English is a second language for me I might have misinterpreted what he said. :-)

I can only imagine that briny_ear is less of an English speaker then.

Some quotes from PL about the FA Cup here https://twitter.com/rego1965

I can understand Lambert's views regarding the FA cup, especially considering injuries and the amount of games we have had to play over Christmas. It is a balancing act. The league is the top priority and rightly so IMO.

He hasn't put together a strong enough squad, so the bottler is getting his excuses in early.

Is an insult really required every time you post about Lambert?

• Like 3

We should win comfortably in the cup and dominate possession considering we are against lower league opposition

I have no idea what Lambert is worrying about I see no other managers crying to the media about the cup.

Unless he's worried about a bit of deja vu in regards to what happened last year

Edited by AshVilla

Ive cooled down a bit since the Palace debacle. I don't think we should sack him and the table doesn't lie, we are in a better position than last year.... (although there are more worse teams than us in the league this season)

However, this is a key window for me. We need experience. The difference with Vlaar in the team is incredible and the midfield need the same thing a safe pair of hands who has seen it and done it at the highest level. If Lambert doesn't address that, then 4 windows into his Villa career I would be asking serious questions.

Because of the awful way our owner has run the club its important that we finish as high in the table as possible.

Last year Everton earned nearly £7 million more than us because of where they finished. A couple more seasons finishing low and we will soon start to see more teams that we can't financially compete with.

At my most charitable, I add this the list of things that Lambert has yet to learn: how to handle a simple question from the press without creating massive headlines that say what you didn't mean to say.

However, he comes over as someone who is losing his appetite for the job. If he's not up for the FA cup, he's losing his will to win. If he is up for it, of course what he said was totally misleading and he should clarify his position. (Not just do it by the rather sideways method of getting HairyHands to clarify on his behalf).

Or rather (IMO, of course): What various media claims to be what he said was totally misleading ...

The original interview I've listened to is quite different from the bits and pieces I've seen online purporting to represent the gist of his interview. In the full interview, I think that he does not come across as someone who has lost his appetite, neither for his job nor for the FA cup, but rather as someone who recognises that the first and foremost task at hand for most PL clubs (including Aston Villa) is PL survival, and if possible, CL qualification, just because that's the way modern football works...

If an extended cup run (or indeed winning the cup itself) is possible, that's desirable (even though he feels medals are less worth to the modern player than the value of the individual player's contract), but a bonus - PL achievements take precedence over memorable cup moments. I got the feeling that it's not necessarily what he wants, but simply an acknowledgement of what modern football has become. Oh, and he talks on behalf of most PL clubs and managers, not Aston Villa throughout.... The only thing in the interview strictly referring to Villa was what would affect his team selection most: the upcoming Sheffield United game or the following Arsenal game. 

IMO, of course. As English is a second language for me I might have misinterpreted what he said. :-)

You are absolutely correct in your interpretation. If you look at the transcript, he was asked a general question referring to PL managers in general and he responded accordingly. `something we can do without' was part of the question by the journalist, Lambert did not say these words in his answer.

But makes better headlines.

Edited by AntrimBlack

I thought PL gave an honest interview about the FA Cup and articulated his thoughts pretty well. The media are the ones responsible for it being misconstrued, not Lambert. 

However, he comes over as someone who is losing his appetite for the job. If he's not up for the FA cup, he's losing his will to win. If he is up for it, of course what he said was totally misleading and he should clarify his position. 

No offence intended, but that is a load of old tosh. Losing his appetite for the job and the will to win? How have you come to that conclusion? I am not seeing the same things as you are, in fact I witnessed a win two days ago and an energetic Lambert on the sidelines. If anything, I see a section of fans who have lost interest in Lambert and are using anything to undermine Lambert, it is pathetically desperate. 

Lambert has nothing to answer regarding that interview, it is reactionary nonsense. Why would Lambert not want to win the FA Cup? 

• Like 1

dont think we should sack him but the football under Lambert has made me do one thing even McLeish couldnt do and thats really not care about or interested in watching Aston Villa and that hurts

Edited by Zatman

I have no idea what Lambert is worrying about I see no other managers crying to the media about the cup.

I don't see what is so hard to understand. He wasn't 'crying' to the press ffs.

Did PL mention the cup until he was asked? No.

Did PL mentioned the cup in this context til he was asked? No.

Pure headline grabbing by journo's asking loaded questions and our fans are using it get on the manager's back. There's enough to complain about without petty, innocuous bollocks like this.

• Like 1

In the article on the BBC Allardyce is also quoted saying very similar things and alluding to the fact he'll be playign youngsters as he only has 14 fit senior squad players.

Someone says it every year, every year there is the "has the cup lost it's magic?" saga, followed by a massively hyped final that proves that the old FA Cup magic is still there....

rinse and repeat.

1. Few of us are lucky enough to get to live that dream. Sad to see clubs tossing it off now because staying up is more important.

2. Regardless of what managers and chairmen think. Us players love playing in the FA Cup. We all dreamt of scoring the winner at Wembley.

Expand

oh **** off joey

Anyone who thinks that PL should get fired is an idiot and deluded. Who would we get in? nobody would touch us with a barge pole. Its ridiculous. I was flattered he wanted to come in the first place. Good up and coming manager who nobody was moaning about in the first place. Needs time to create something from scratch. Get behind him and the team.

Think that's pretty harsh. I'm on the fence in terms of it. Part of me is intrigued to see what he will do this window, but if Randy sacked him tomorrow I wouldn't particularly shed a tear ( which wouldn't happen anyway).

We've served up some utter tripe in both seasons under Lambert, particularly at home. Not to mention the farce in both the cups last season. I'm not surprised that so,e are not happy. The support was magnificent in the second half against Swansea, despite what we were witnessing.