Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

To have 27% possession and 56% pass accuracy against an out of form mid table team at home is absolutely shocking.

Nobody thinks that this is acceptable and no Villa fan would ever want it. The question is the response to the poor performances of recent.

Personally I think Lambert has earned the right to be given more time, another transfer window and the opportunity to turn things around. Changing managers now might have a short term impact (there is a good chance it won't either), but ultimately it will put us back another year in a half into building something sustainable for the future.

I like what Lambert has done in his first year and a half as a whole. He has made some bold decisions in dropping Bent and Given and these gambles have pulled off spectacularly well. He has reduced the wage bill and got players into Villa who actually want to prove a point rather than see out their humongous contract before retiring. Along the way there are going to be rocky patches as we have a young and inexperienced team. Last season we had a rocky patch and we saw it through. This season we are going through a rocky patch and we will see it through.

The players and the manager will be better after this experience. I am willing to give Lambert the chance to see out what he started and reserve judgment on him until at least the end of the season.

Lerner has a vision, Lambert has a vision and I see what they are trying to do. The fans who think everything should be replaced after a couple of bad months have no solutions to the problems they just want to make someone a fall guy without knowing what is good for the long term future of the club.

This kind of post was written this time last year and I've no doubt will be posted this time next year even if we are in the same position.

What do you like about winning 15 games out of 57 and playing statistically some of the worst football in the league?

What is this vision? Because it looks like surviving each year on low wages to me.

TBH I'm not dead against lambert staying as I believe the owner is the main problem but I wouldn't be bothered one bit if he was sacked

So the basis of most people who are stubbornly supporting Lambert is that if he was given loads of money then things would be different. Surely then all that is proving is that Lambert is a pretty shit coach and relies on buying success? I thought he was supposed to be a leading manager? If that is the case then why is the dross football of the past 18months now becoming the norm and to be accepted?

You see it does not make sense when the reality is there for all to see. Lambert is a poor manager, the coaching staff he brought in you could argue have had a negative effect. The time is here and now for villa to admit that lambert is a mistake and to rid ourselves of him and the clueless entourage he has around him.

That's not my point at all. Yes, I believe he needs better players of course he does, but I think the difference is I believe Lambert has much more to offer, whereas one could assume that your belief is that he's peaked?

a genuine question here what makes you think he has much more to offer? It cant be based on what little he has achieved here surely? All that has proven is that he incapable of working under the circumstances we find ourselves in and is unable to develop players etc.

I have asked this a few times for genuine proof that lambert is up for the job but as yet all we ever here is that he would be great if he could buy loads more players etc.

There must be something away from the dross football, the poor squad, the god awful records we seem to break, the defeats etc . As said genuine question what are those who are questioning him missing because surely its something easy and fundamental to explain

Good question Drat and a lot of it stems from his time at Norwich.  The ex-missus is a Norwich fan and close to Michael Folger on the board over there.  Beliver me, they were gutted that Lambert and his team left - especially after back to back promotions.  They really wanted him to build something for that club.

Now back to back promotions in itself shows the ability to be up with the best in those particular ponds, and he had Norwich playing some good football.

I think we've seen some good games at the Villa too - especially given our resources.  Right now I believe we're in a terrible slump, whereas some others may feel that this is our true level.

The fact is none of us really know what directives Lambert is working under.  One would assume there must be enough of a plan to tempt him away from Norwich, but unlike the last man in charge, I feel this style of football is not our end game.  He's struggling for sure but I think there's more to come, but like I say I can understand those that think differently.

• Like 1

I think the manager will now try his best to finally get some experience into the team in January.......players who will not buckle under the pressure and make the younger players better. Badly needed.

I hope he is given the funds to do so.

Tell us though, is he going do some work on the training ground to get us playing like as a team, because at present it looks like we don't meet during the week at all.

I think the manager will now try his best to finally get some experience into the team in January.......players who will not buckle under the pressure and make the younger players better. Badly needed.

I think that the loss of Vlaar has been huge - as much as the loss of form / injuries to Benteke.

When we played Man U, the commentator kept saying that Rooney was quarterbacking all of Utd's play.  That's what we're missing - someone with experience and composure and a footballing brain.  Not that we would be in for a Rooney, but someone with a bit of quality and guile is badly needed.

Thing is PL looks like a man with a plan, he is upset as the fans are turning and probably feels frustrated as he knows whats coming but can not speak about it. I can not believe he is happy watching our team play at the moment and believe that he will sort it or quit at the end of the season. He has never been known as a defensive hoof ball manager in the past so it is probably more of a needs must situation. lets see what develops before we hang him as he deserves this chance after what he has had to endure since he joined us.

Good news HH. Glad the club are accepting young and hungry has failed.

Don't think that's what it is. More like having an entire squad of young and hungry players is not working out so well. We need a few more Vlaars and Guzans that's for sure.

• Like 2

The more I think about it John the more I believe that "young and hungry" was Lambert's way of bigging the players up in public whilst work under the need to get a squad together under huge financial restrictions.

It's PR-speak for 'cheap, with potential but we need players'.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

Don't think there's anything wrong with young and hungry per se, just so long as the squad has a bit of experience.

As for Lambert, I still don't think he should go now. I fail to see how sacking the manager mid-way through the season will benefit us, especially under the current financial constraints. If things continue as they are though and Lambert doesn't sort it out then he should go in the summer however.

• Like 1

Don't think there's anything wrong with young and hungry per se, just so long as the squad has a bit of experience.

As for Lambert, I still don't think he should go now. I fail to see how sacking the manager mid-way through the season will benefit us, especially under the current financial constraints. If things continue as they are though and Lambert doesn't sort it out then he should go in the summer however.

Thought you were against experience last year.

• Like 1

Thought you were against experience last year.

I was never against experience, but every squad needs it. We're not so bad when we have Vlaar as our experienced head but when he's out we're rudderless.

The more I think about it John the more I believe that "young and hungry" was Lambert's way of bigging the players up in public whilst work under the need to get a squad together under huge financial restrictions.

It's PR-speak for 'cheap, with potential but we need players'.

What ever way it was I just hope the manager is able to bring in some experience.

I also hope the players are good enough because young or experienced means little if you have little ability

• Like 1

valueindex1.png

This shows how bad we were under McL. 

This season I would guess we are top half, maybe top quartile

Let's see what happens when we (hopefully) start spending some money again

Lambert has already spent 42m and I will be very interested to see you pull a comparison stat when our next set of fixtures are over.

£42m on a squad of players that, if sold, would be worth more than that, costing 'peanuts' in premier league terms.  Those that don't work out can be shipeed out quite easily IMO.

That's step 1.  Step 2 needs to be a plan to add a bit of quality to that squad, thus resulting in a team that's still inexpensive to maintain, but can play good, attacking football.

We're going through a rough patch, but rarely does building something go smoothly.

We will get more than we paid for Lambert's signings due to the success of Benteke yet no-one would meet our valuation of him. The rest of Lambert's signings i'm not so sure about not only in terms of increased transfer fees but also whether they'd even be wanted and if a new manager did come in i'm not so sure there wouldn't be another bomb squad created.

There's always a market across Europe for players in £1 - 2m on 10 -15k per week.  Players like KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Sylla, et al would not be stuck on our books in the vein we've been accustomed too.

In relation to Benteke vs Bent's wages, I believe HH stated Benteke's new deal still puts him on less than Delph, so Bent is on a lot more.

You could be right although I'd suggest if it was the case that those would be easily moved they'd probably return to the same level where they came from.

Bent being on a lot more than Benteke yet Benteke being the better player is exactly my point concerning wages v performance,

• Like 1