Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

What was the point in bringing Bowery on today? Absolutely no reason whatsoever. I really do think that Lambert doesn't have a clue now. I'd get Steve Clarke in personally, he can do no worse and actually has some footballing nous.

What boggles me is that Lambert just never changes his approach. Anyone can tell you that when in life you are presented with a problem and you try a solution that doesn't work after a few attempts, you're going about it the wrong way. Try something else. Lambert just doesn't learn from his mistakes, and neither do our players. These little tactical things he does, like the hoof to the corner from kick-off, hoof balls up to Kozak when we barely won anything in the air all day, the fact that our players are so static and come so narrow. Don't we have one of the widest pitches in the PL this season? Why do we not use it? Thre are just so many decisions that make me wonder what is going on in any of their heads. I couldn't believe how poor our first touches were today, the amount of times players overran the ball or let the ball come across their body before realising it was going too quick. The player's situational awareness is ridiculous.

So many things wrong today, I couldn't believe my eyes. I know fans always have their opinions and think they know better and I usually take that with a pinch of salt, but I really feel Lambert doesn't have a clue what he's doing at the moment.

Of course Lambert isn't the real problem at this club, but that is here to stay unfortunately. We need a man who can do the very best with what he's working with and I don't believe Lambert is that man. I'm not saying he hasn't had his hands tied here and there, but some of his decisions, on the pitch and with transfers, are absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

Is sacking the manager the answer? Well, no. Simply because I can't think of a single manager who we could attract who would do a better job.

In fact, I never thought i'd say this.... But Schteeve Mclaren is the only half decent manager I think we could attract. And could he do any better? Feck knows. 

That's how bad we've become...Steve **** Mclaren :lol:

Steve McLaren?..who quite possibly have a better team at Derby?

Well I doubt they are better. But yeah, we're ever so slightly a bigger club than Derby. 

Stop all conversation about McLaren IMMEDIATELY before this becomes an actual debate.

He isn't coming. We certainly don't want him and his God awful attitude. End.

• Like 1

THIS TEAM NEEDS THE FANS LIKE NEVER BEFORE.....Its gone way beyond Blame....we need to stay up.

DEAL WITH THE SHIT LATER...... We need to get behind the lads, despite our later opinions.

People said that in 10-11 under Houllier and again under McLeish in 11-12. When did we "deal with it later"?

Well, we did it and stayed up both seasons. And both managers were dealt with when Randy sacked them. 

That he struggles with his appointments and do not fund the managers is another matter.

• Like 1

What was the point in bringing Bowery on today? Absolutely no reason whatsoever. I really do think that Lambert doesn't have a clue now. I'd get Steve Clarke in personally, he can do no worse and actually has some footballing nous.

What boggles me is that Lambert just never changes his approach. Anyone can tell you that when in life you are presented with a problem and you try a solution that doesn't work after a few attempts, you're going about it the wrong way. Try something else. Lambert just doesn't learn from his mistakes, and neither do our players. These little tactical things he does, like the hoof to the corner from kick-off, hoof balls up to Kozak when we barely won anything in the air all day, the fact that our players are so static and come so narrow. Don't we have one of the widest pitches in the PL this season? Why do we not use it? Thre are just so many decisions that make me wonder what is going on in any of their heads. I couldn't believe how poor our first touches were today, the amount of times players overran the ball or let the ball come across their body before realising it was going too quick. The player's situational awareness is ridiculous.

So many things wrong today, I couldn't believe my eyes. I know fans always have their opinions and think they know better and I usually take that with a pinch of salt, but I really feel Lambert doesn't have a clue what he's doing at the moment.

Of course Lambert isn't the real problem at this club, but that is here to stay unfortunately. We need a man who can do the very best with what he's working with and I don't believe Lambert is that man. I'm not saying he hasn't had his hands tied here and there, but some of his decisions, on the pitch and with transfers, are absolutely ridiculous.

Excellent post and sums it up very nicely.

• Like 1

Can we stop talking about our difficult start now?

Another Yuletide embarrassment, the bloke has had enough chances and needs to go immediately.  Utterly bereft of ideas and ability, he's much worse than even McLeish, which is about the only thing of note that he's achieved.

Anybody who makes claims that any manager is worse than McLeish is grossly exaggerating, is clearly far too emotional to think clearly and losses any argument immediately.

Do you think the football we are playing is better than anything we played under McLeish?

Are you talking about over the last 5 games, or the last 50 games?

McLeish had done nothing to prove he could put together a decent side whereas Lambert guided us to safety last season in what was always going to be an incredibly difficult season. The football for the last few months has not been of a good standard but it was similar last season when we were losing 8-0, 4-0 and then turned it around in the new year.

People are over-reacting to the latest blip. I'm not surprised, it's the nature of most football fans but changing the manager won't change the fortunes for us... only changing the owner will do that.

This is wholely Lerners fault, not Lamberts.

Oh do get over yourself old boy.  The only "blip" has been the odd game where we've actually looked remotely look a football team.  Lambert has turned us into the worst footballing side in the division, so yes, he is worse than McLeish.  Lambert's whole tenure has been an unmitigated disaster, and it only seems to be getting worse.  A year and a half in, and he's bought a whole load of dross for £40m+, and has shown a level of ability to coach them into an effective unit that would embarrass an under sevens dad.

This isn't a debate about McLeish vs Lambert, however McLeish had no "blips" at all which made us look like a football team, so for Lambert to take over that team and win plaudits during parts of last season for his attack minded, counter attack football is a hell of a damn site more than McLeish ever did for us so any talk of McLeish being better is simply emotions talking and not sense.

Anyway, I'm not pro Lambert or against Lambert, I'm ambivalent towards him. Though if Lambert were to leave then who do you suggest could take over and provide us with entertaining and winning football on a shoe budget? I can't think of anyone and some of the names being banded around on this thread are simply laughable.

The reality is that you will find as many failings in Lambert as you would with any other available manager and the only way the fortunes of this club are going to improve is by a change at the very top, not the middle.

Pretty much anyone based on the last few games.

"Last few games" says it all really. And we wonder why the word fickle sticks with the club.

What is clear is Lambert has lost both the players and the fans.

How is this clear?

I don't know whether you were at VP today but the booing at the end of the game and the chants of 'what the **** is going on' plus the reactions on VT and other forums cover off losing the fans.

The players look shell shocked and utterly bereft of any confidence. Regardless of ability that suggests the manager is not doing his job properly or more likely is simply not up to it. I rather suspect the players can see that too hence he has almost certainly lost them.

As for the fickle jibe you know as well as I do that this is far more than the last few games.. We have been struggling for the last 4 seasons. All that the last few games have done is painfully reveal the problems that already exist.

To be fair to Bowery I thought he showed more movement in his little time on the pitch than Gabby, Weimann and kozak put together

To be fair to Bowery I thought he showed more movement in his little time on the pitch than Gabby, Weimann and kozak put together

I don't think anyone is really criticising Bowery per se but to bring him on EVERY TIME as some sort of game-changing move is baffling.

• Like 1

So how would people feel about Zola?

I would actually say Lars Lagerback, think he is one of the best footballing minds around. Yes ok you can laugh.

No laughter. He did well enough with Sweden and is doing a sterling job with Iceland. 

It's clear we need somebody with the ability to organise. These players aren't THIS bad, but they're lacking direction.

Simple answer to this thread now is yes, it is the answer. 

• Like 1

He's right about Bowery though, which emphasises just how poor we were today.

I just can't believe how Lambert et al just don't learn. Everyone can see we need some quality and a few old heads to come in and settle things down, that and to not play hoofball. It isn't that the passing game doesn't work Paul, it's that you're organising everyone in front of the back four incorrectly. The players bunch up too much and are too far away from the CB with the ball. Delph is the only player who came looking for a pass today, knowing he'd have to track back a bit because otherwise Clark or Baker would just hoof it up again, and who can blame them when they have nothing on?

What goes on in training each week? I want to know what they actually practice, because it isn't pass and move or movement of any kind.

Edited by Ginko

What makes you so certain he'd be out if he loses two more games? Lerner certainly doesn't appear to give a damn about us anymore and he has Lambert under his thumb.

He'll only go when it's later in the season and relegation is on the doorstep.

One things for sure we lose the next 2 and Lambert will most certainly be out. Massive game on Saturday as if we lose that the reaction at the end will not be pleasant.

And a loss or a poor draw looks highly probable........

One things for sure we lose the next 2 and Lambert will most certainly be out. Massive game on Saturday as if we lose that the reaction at the end will not be pleasant.

A mammoth game. But I just hope the fans react at the end and try to support the team before and during the game. 

Lambert out. It's that simple. Our team is weak because he's signed players not good enough. Money or no money they are not good enough. He's made us weaker

Yes but why did he sign players that weren't good enough? Because they were cheap. Why did he sign cheap players? Because he doesn't have the funds to create a team he truly wants, only a team he can afford.

He didn't take the job thinking that he would sign players that were crap. He knew there were restrictions but he agreed to them. He wasn't forced into taking the job either. He gets little sympathy from me on that part. The fact is we lack desire and belief, regardless of ability. Those 2 things the manager of the club should have control over irrespective of available funds.

This is true.

Edited by tomh621

We played Fulham 18 days ago.

At that point we were unbeaten in 5 games, keeping clean sheets regularly

and looking like a resolute if unspectacular team.

18 days ago.

This is true as well!! Its not like the team has changed since then!!

Edited by tomh621

No disrespect mark, but why should we be deciding the future of our manager on 2 games..... we either value what he is doing or we don't.

These 2 games will only give solace to a bunch of appraisers who know as much as the man himself.

we have been struggling since the Liverpool game....has anyone noticed, or complained, or reacted, or reappraised the manager.

Despite the lack of funds, I think he is out of his depth, He has had time, to show some sort of improvement, or even explain the outcome of games , but in my view failed to convince anyone of his worth.

I am bitterly disappointed, in Lambert, because i dearly wanted to believe in him, but I don't.

• Like 2