The R word

villanwesty88

With the Hull match being our last of the season at home, (and say we don't get anything from the game) surely the club won't be stupid enough to send the players on a lap of 'honour' at the end of the match, will they?

If they do, surely that'll just finish them off as I can't see anyone being happy that we'd be needing a point at least from away games at City and Spurs for us to stay up.

Also, do you think Lambert will take part, or would it be better for him to run away down the tunnel to keep away from the fans?

It's our "cup final" according to Lambert. I expect the players to climb a specially constructed staircase to receive the "we just about avoided relegation (part 4)" trophy from the Lord Mayor of Birmingham

I remember going to a cup final v manure at Wembley not too many years ago. It is a sad indictment of how far we have fallen that we now have to have 'cup finals' in Aston against Hull City.

• Like 1

With the Hull match being our last of the season at home, (and say we don't get anything from the game) surely the club won't be stupid enough to send the players on a lap of 'honour' at the end of the match, will they?

If they do, surely that'll just finish them off as I can't see anyone being happy that we'd be needing a point at least from away games at City and Spurs for us to stay up.

Also, do you think Lambert will take part, or would it be better for him to run away down the tunnel to keep away from the fans?

They will.

If they don't the fans will just use it as another excuse to criticise and say they don't appreciate the fans, it's a lack of class, etc.

A Chelsea win in against Liverpool will still mean they are in the title race, having to play both Norwich and Cardiff, would be nice if they were still had something to play for in those games, but would also mean Man city are back in it, and well that could mean a battering of our goal difference

You think it will make one iota of difference whether Man City are or are not in the title race by the time they play us?

They would have to put out their under 12's squad for us to have a hope.  :D

We already beat them without Benteke.

Yes, I was there. Biggest fluke of our season.

Today has helped us a lot. Sunderland ensured that Cardiff now need maximum points, while Chelsea kept themselves in the title rce ahead of their games with Norwich and Cardiff.

Fulham draw next week and Chelsea win and were now not going down, regardless of the Cardiff result because there's no way Chelsea lose to them on the last day if there's a mathematical chance of winning the league

Ironically, I now believe we'll actually beat or draw with city and win the league for Liverpool, purely because the football gods like to do things like that to me

• Like 2

Chelsea being in the race is good up to a point. But say they are 1-1 with 5 to play against Norwich or Cardiff - they'll go for it like Liverpool did and could get done on the break. Let's hope they don't get desperate and do something stupid like that!

Anyway, I think they'll beat Norwich at the Bridge and then it's all about Cardiff and Fulham. Likelihood is neither will win away from home but you just don't know- so beating Hull remains essential. Newcastle/Stoke could concede a dodgy pen, get someone sent off, anything - so we must do the job for ourselves.

Personally, despite the form and the negativity and the home nerves and the lack of goals, I honestly believe we will actually win next week. And - you heard it here first - I'd back Grant Holt to score the crucial goal with a header from close range.

Edited by PeteWilson

Fulham lose to Stoke, Cardiff to Chelsea and Norwich lose both their games and we stay up, right?

Yes. Even if Cardiff beat Chelsea in that scenario, we'd still stay up.

Fulham dropping any points and Norwich losing a single game means we can't go down.

What a **** shame we are having to do this again. Lerner has gambled with the club twice now.

Yes and he needs to be careful if he is still here next season. There's only so many times you can play Russian Roulette before you are 100% certain to get shot. It's a matter of WHEN and not IF we get relegated if we carry on running the club in this way.

After considering all eventualities I think we'd be quite unlucky to go down in terms of results going against us.

However, I do think we'll finish 17th.

This exactly. Can't believe we're at the stage of praying for 17th, though.

To go down, we need Fulham (who are even worse than us) to win their last two games AND us to not pick up at least two points AND Sunderland to pick up at least three points more than we do.

It's not a certainty, but we're 90% safe.

Just a reminder: we sacked McLeish for getting less than 40 points. We currently have 35, with 3 games to go.

• Like 2

What worries me about Fulham is that their two games are winnable. Neither Stoke or Palace have too much to play for.

Fulham, despite bottling it against Hull, have shown that they might have a bit of fight in them and they've won two of their last four games :(

Still can't see Fulham winning their last 2. They are down there because, believe it or not, they have been worse than us so far this season. Stoke and Palace have nothing to play for, besides prize money, but thankfully they are the sort of teams/managers that won't roll over. Stoke don't give much away at home and the likelihood is that Fulham will fail to win there on Saturday and they will be out of the equation with regards to us.

Edited by fightoffyour

To go down, we need Fulham (who are even worse than us) to win their last two games AND us to not pick up at least two points AND Sunderland to pick up at least three points more than we do.

It's not a certainty, but we're 90% safe.

Just a reminder: we sacked McLeish for getting less than 40 points. We currently have 35, with 3 games to go.

I know, it's amazing isn't it. People still supporting Lambert and his mystical project even though he is performing worse than McLeish. Double standards or what?

The McLeish comparison is slightly unfair. He had a much, much better squad of players at hand.

Debatable whether they were much, much better. I don't rate McLeish, in fact I think he is gash, however, he didn't go out and spend £40m on a load of dross though.