What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:
9 minutes ago, Xela said:

That looks good @mottaloo 

The Red Lion is on the 'to do' list. Next up for my mixed grill club is The Sportsman in West Brom. Last place I tried was Keg & Grill in Brum city centre. I really liked it. Portions were a bit smaller and the price was a little bit more but that's the city centre premium you pay

Top one for me so far... New Talbot in West Brom. 

I don't eat lamb so I like more than just chicken on my grill so if any place does fish pakoras on the grill then its a winner for me :)

The red lion definitely does the fish pakoras on the special mixed grill but there is a fair amount of lamb on it too. I reckon you request what you want on ur grill order so should be able to swap the lamb. 

I did the sportsman 20 yrs ago when desI grills were basic. I remember you saying about the Talbot and that will be my next visit !

There seems to be more of these placing opening up, which is a good thing! 

The Barrell in Brum and The Gate in Sparkbrook are also on my list to look at 

Went to Turners at69 in Harbourne. A revamp of the Michelin starred Turners restaurant. 

Had a nice piece of Sirloin, duck fat chips followed by Chocolate Tarte. Alongside a turners Ipa.

It was pretty good, if a little expensive. It's meant to be not so "high end" than Turners used to be (I never went so couldn't comment).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Went to Turners at69 in Harbourne. A revamp of the Michelin starred Turners restaurant. 

Had a nice piece of Sirloin, duck fat chips followed by Chocolate Tarte. Alongside a turners Ipa.

It was pretty good, if a little expensive. It's meant to be not so "high end" than Turners used to be (I never went so couldn't comment).

Sounds nice. I was never a really fan of 'fine dining' with exotic/experimental foods as I am quite a fussy eater, so basic food, done well, would always be my preference 

I think Richard Turner wants to expand and open more of them, a kind of high end chain around the midlands. He mentioned Sutton would be the next area he looks at 

• Like 1

On 24 September 2016 at 12:44, Xela said:

Sounds nice. I was never a really fan of 'fine dining' with exotic/experimental foods as I am quite a fussy eater, so basic food, done well, would always be my preference 

I think Richard Turner wants to expand and open more of them, a kind of high end chain around the midlands. He mentioned Sutton would be the next area he looks at 

We've got Tom aikens next, not sure which of his restaurants has the star but he's opening toms kitchen in the mail box in December, that looks like basic food cooked to perfection rather than ingredients and combos people have never heard of

id guess purnells bistro does well for him

• Like 1

On 14/09/2016 at 22:09, villa4europe said:

It's in my favourite part of brum for drinking at the moment too

sun on the hill, Bacchus bar, botanist, lost and found, cosy club, old joint stock all decent places for a beer

It is a great area of brum for food and drink now. I regret passing up the opportunity to buy a small one bed flat there a few years back for a sub £100k price. Would have been a great investment

19 hours ago, knoppy1987 said:

Last nights leftover curry. Taste even better re-heated. 

I've got leftover curry tonight.. like you say, tastes better the next day :)

• Like 1

Shamelessly...I'm in Milan for the weekend, had some pasta with scampi, I'll be honest and say I didn't even know what a scampi was, if was something battered, usually deep fried and my judgement on them was based on how many you got...first and foremost the pasta was incredible, turns out scampi is pretty much a prawn, hard to get much meat off them, I personally hate seafood that comes eyeballs and legs, I didn't **** about trying to get it out the claws etc came to the conclusion that they were there really to flavour the whole thing rather than give you a load of meat, I'd say sweater than a prawn with a less chunky texture, the flavour thing worked well, was very nice

I then finished the meal with an apple ice cream and brandy sauce dessert, I was in heaven

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Shamelessly...I'm in Milan for the weekend, had some pasta with scampi, I'll be honest and say I didn't even know what a scampi was, if was something battered, usually deep fried and my judgement on them was based on how many you got...first and foremost the pasta was incredible, turns out scampi is pretty much a prawn, hard to get much meat off them, I personally hate seafood that comes eyeballs and legs, I didn't **** about trying to get it out the claws etc came to the conclusion that they were there really to flavour the whole thing rather than give you a load of meat, I'd say sweater than a prawn with a less chunky texture, the flavour thing worked well, was very nice

I then finished the meal with an apple ice cream and brandy sauce dessert, I was in heaven

Sounds like you had langoustines.

It's worth getting the meat out of those claws.

• Like 2

Experience apertivo in Milan, basically you go to a bar buy a pint and they give you food...first one gave me pizza, second one gave me warm cheese and ham cobs, third one was an all you eat buffet

also tried Italian McDonald's, I had some chicken mcbacon thing the wife had a double mcchicken, absolute garbage, easily the worst I've had anywhere in the world, drier than Gandhis flip flop, even the chips were shit, did get a birra morreti with it though

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Experience apertivo in Milan, basically you go to a bar buy a pint and they give you food...first one gave me pizza, second one gave me warm cheese and ham cobs, third one was an all you eat buffet

also tried Italian McDonald's, I had some chicken mcbacon thing the wife had a double mcchicken, absolute garbage, easily the worst I've had anywhere in the world, drier than Gandhis flip flop, even the chips were shit, did get a birra morreti with it though

Goes to Italy a hot bed of fine foods ...............gets a Mcdonalds .......

iWKad22.jpg

I get McDonald's all round the world, explained this before, McDonald's to me has a very well established base so forms an interesting comparison in the different menus, I like seeing and trying exclusive menus in different countries

don't think for a minute that I won't spend the weekend eating everything Italy has to offer, I'll just throw McDonald's in there as well

Better example I'll give of that is in Japan, I think still the only country that has its cuisine as a heritage status, I went to KFC there, they had orange and chilli flavoured chicken, I went to Burger King there and had a black squid flavoured kiro burger, that kind of stuff is every bit as good to try as the ramen

• Like 1

Morrisons own brand onion rings, big bag, and the Taylors Port that was in the Co-0p fr half price at £7.50

I'm real classy me, that's my evening meal, or technically my breakfast too thanks to work

edit, trust me I know my onion rings and these are the best I have tried them all. the orangier the better. these ones, have the ability to stain your stomach lining and that is the test. they pass.

Edited by Midfielder

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Had 3 takeaway Indians in 4 days.  Feeling rough.  

I'd need to be wearing a nappy after 3 in 4 days

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Better example I'll give of that is in Japan, I think still the only country that has its cuisine as a heritage status, I went to KFC there, they had orange and chilli flavoured chicken, I went to Burger King there and had a black squid flavoured kiro burger, that kind of stuff is every bit as good to try as the ramen

Double Big Mac in Bangkok Maccy D's. Just the ticket after an evenings entertainment in Nana Plaza

• Like 2

Â