2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

I might be struggling to conjure up excitement for the tournament itself, but I must admit to boyish glee at finding out the Panini World Cup sticker albums are going for free in Tesco and the like.

I was going to feel annoyance at shelling out £3 for mine last week (after visiting more newsagents than was necessary) - but then a) I guilted the gf into getting it for me on my birthday and 2) it came with 30-odd stickers so it was practically free anyway...

Any idea if there is going to be a super-awesome wall chart like the one Morrisons "gave away" (just complete it with stickers you get after you spend £20 in store...) for 2010?

Edited by CardiffGreens

i actually found out what day the album came out and picked one up straight away...

had a mate face book me giving it the big un the other day saying he had a head start and was half way through his 20 packs, replied showing him a picture of my mountain of swaps  :P game on, we added the no ebay box of 100 rule this year, cant work out if its better or not, getting the box of 100 is amazing

i'm 29 btw...

Sainsburys giving away Panini World Cup Sticker albums for free for the inner child in everyone.  Might just go down and pick one up!!

Edit* Looks like someone has already mentioned that  *note to self; read previous posts* hehe

Edited by Newry_Villan

I think because Villa have again been so rubbish this season my anticipation for the World Cup is quite high.

I'll try to watch most matches as they are televised at quite a good time.

England might do well but then again they may not; I think if Plop win the league then England may also do well...just a hunch.

Sterling, Gerrard and Sturridge have all been rather good this season and I think we have the pace to hurt teams if Roy decides to go for it. Too long we have tried to play a European game and I hope we just try to all-out-attack for once!

I think the 3 you mentioned plus Henderson and Johnson should go from Liverpool. Both have had their critics, but have performed very well this season and both play in positions we're hardly blessed with a mass of quality.

Sterling I would probably even put in the first XI. He plays with no fear at all and is very direct.

no he plays in the middle with henderson, did a surprisingly good job tracking back on sunday

we would need to replace suarez (like i said, for rooney) and then change coutinho for a similar midfielder (try lallana or chamberlain, if they cant put the shift in then it pains me to say it but wilshere)

4-3-3

Gerrard

Henderson

Lallana

Sterling

Rooney

Sturridge

Looks really narrow on paper but that front 3 will be all the shop, all 3 will inevitably pull wide and drop deeper, lallana or chamberlain will push on when they drop deep, wing backs pushing on providing some width too

Edited by villa4europe

Yep play sterling at the top of the diamond, Henderson and Wilshere either side, Gerrard at the base and Sturridge and Rooney up front. Don't know whats happened to Walker but i'd have him at right back as he has more pace than Johnson and Baines or Shaw at left back

wilshere has dropped down the list IMO done very little this year, especially for england, lallana deserves the chance ahead of him

Ok Lallana instead of Wilshere but bet Hodgson won't play a diamond formation. I'm wondering whether Lennon will go because although he's first choice for Spurs, Townsend did enough in the last 2 qualifiers to merit selction and if Milner goes as well is there room for another right sided player

I quite like Wiltshire as a player though and he has played quite well for England.

Going back to the Liverpool three I just think we could be very direct if we choose to play that way; we have to outscore our opponents as I'm not sure we are going to be too sound at the back at keeping a clean sheet.

Italy are notorious at slow-starting a tournament, yes they are a great team but i think we should really go for them with a high-tempo game and playing the likes of Sterling, Sturridge and Wiltshire* who all have no fear.

*Not sure if he'll be fit for the tournament?