Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Premier League rules limit clubs to just two season-long domestic loans but international deals are, essentially, limitless.

We have Holt and Bertrand, therefore we can't take another domestic loan signing

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2012-2013.pdf

V.7.5. the maximum number of Temporary Transfers to any one Club registrable 
in the same Season shall be 4 and in no circumstances shall more than 1 be 
from the same Transferor Club save there shall be excluded from these 
numbers any Temporary Transfer of the kind described in V.7.6.1 or V.7.6.2;
M.7
180PREMIER LEAGUE RULES: SECTION V
V.7.6. not more than 2 Temporary Transfers shall be registered by a Club at the 
same time except that there shall be excluded from that number:
 V.7.6.1. any Temporary Transfer which become permanent; and
 V.7.6.2. the Temporary Transfer of a goalkeeper which in its absolute 
discretion the Board may allow in circumstances it considers to 
be exceptional;

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2012-2013.pdf

V.7.5. the maximum number of Temporary Transfers to any one Club registrable 
in the same Season shall be 4 and in no circumstances shall more than 1 be 
from the same Transferor Club save there shall be excluded from these 
numbers any Temporary Transfer of the kind described in V.7.6.1 or V.7.6.2;
M.7
180PREMIER LEAGUE RULES: SECTION V
V.7.6. not more than 2 Temporary Transfers shall be registered by a Club at the 
same time except that there shall be excluded from that number:
 V.7.6.1. any Temporary Transfer which become permanent; and
 V.7.6.2. the Temporary Transfer of a goalkeeper which in its absolute 
discretion the Board may allow in circumstances it considers to 
be exceptional;

This is also important:

v7.4

"the minimum period of a Temporary Transfer shall be the period between 2 consecutive Transfer Windows and the period of a Temporary 
Transfer shall not extend beyond 30th June next after it was entered into"

Thus it appears to be 4 season-long loans, and up to 12 short-term as per my previous post.

I also understand, that if a player is loaned from a club outside the rules set by the FA (i.e., from abroad), a loan agreement is considered, for all intents and purposes, as a permanent transfer and is not subject to the quotas above.
Edited by VillaIRE

That said, I don't think a Premiership club has ever loaned a lower league player before

I doubt that's true
Weren't West Brom in the championship when we loaned Curtis Davies? Edited by dodgyknees

That said, I don't think a Premiership club has ever loaned a lower league player before

I doubt that's true

Roger Johnson, Erik Bakke, Curtis Davies. Two of them are us.

Edited by Milfner

I doubt that's true

It's not. West Ham took Roger Johnson on loan barely two weeks previous.

I'm still unsure on the rules. The above doesn't seem to clear anything up. If anyone is that interested perhaps an email to the FA would clear things up.

Premier League rules limit clubs to just two season-long domestic loans but international deals are, essentially, limitless.

We have Holt and Bertrand, therefore we can't take another domestic loan signing

Neither Holt or Bertrand are season-long loans though...

Both longer than the 93 days or less needed for a short term loan classification though

I doubt that's true

I'm still unsure on the rules. The above doesn't seem to clear anything up. If anyone is that interested perhaps an email to the FA would clear things up.

Taraabt to Fulham aswell, I'm pretty sure that's a loan deal.

I doubt that's true

Sorry, I will try to summarise my take on the rules:

1) A maximum of 4 "temporary players" or "Long term loans" are permitted per club with the minimum period defined as being that between two consecutive windows:  i.e., between August-January, or January-June.  Per the FA: "Long Term Loan Transfers shall be for a full Playing Season; or from any date prior to 31st August to any date between 1st and 31st January; or from any date between 1st and 31st January (the January transfer window) to the end of the Playing Season."

2) A maximum of 12 "short-term" loan players per season, with the loan  period being a minimum of 28 days and a maximum of 93 days.  These are not considered "temporary players" or "long term loans" since the maximum period for these loans is shorter than the minimum period described in 1). 

3) No more than 2 players may be loaned from clubs within the same division and no more than 1 loan from the same team, unless that player is either a) a goalkeeper or B) where there is an agreement in place between clubs that the loaned player is purchased at the end of the loan agreement.

4) "Foreign loans", i.e, players originating outside the The Premier League, The Football League, The Football Conference, The Isthmian Football League, The Northern Premier League and The Southern Football League, are not considered loan signings by the FA (even though a loan agreement is made between clubs), and thus do not count to the quotas above.

I am open to correction, but I believe these are correct.  

They would be considered "long-term" loans if they are here until June, or greater than 93 days.

This means we are able to loan 2 more players until the end of the season, but they cannot originate from Chelsea or Norwich Wigan, unless we have agreed to buy Holt or Bertrand at the end of the loan agreement, or agree to buy the new loanee.

Edit: Corrected mistake

Edited by VillaIRE

They would be considered "long-term" loans if they are here until June, or greater than 93 days.

This means we are able to loan 2 more players until the end of the season, but they cannot originate from Chelsea or Norwich, unless we have agreed to buy Holt or Bertrand at the end of the loan agreement, or agree to buy the new loanee.  Congruently, this means we will not target a loan deal for Hoolahan unless we agree to buy him in July, or have already agreed to buy Holt.

Norwich? Holt is from wigan remember.

• Like 1

This means we are able to loan 2 more players until the end of the season, but they cannot originate from Chelsea or Norwich, unless we have agreed to buy Holt or Bertrand at the end of the loan agreement, or agree to buy the new loanee.  Congruently, this means we will not target a loan deal for Hoolahan unless we agree to buy him in July, or have already agreed to buy Holt.

Norwich? Holt is from wigan remember.

Sorry, yes - you're correct!

Â