Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

What approximately 3million on Luna and Bennett. That fee in itself couldn't purchase Bertrand, so there is the problem.

So Lambert has had just 3m to spend since he became our manager?

That's very obviously not what was meant.

Lambert has a budget and a squad to fill. You take a portion of the budget per position and decide on a player by player basis and judge your most pressing needs at the time. Now that we need less players (arguably) and cover for the left might be nice this makes sense.

Having spent less on two previous players in the same position has abso-****-nothing to do with potentially spending more on a player in the future for the same position.

If the only gap we had to plug was a LB and given the same budget as before then it would make more sense to portion a higher percentage of it to filling that role.

Had he spent more on a LB at the time and missed out on Benteke, for example, then things would be different, no?

No, he could have kept Fonz at the club instead of purchasing Bowery or Helenius. He could have kept Albrighton at the club instead of purchasing Tonev and he could have gotten an LB on loan instead of wasting more money on Bennet and Luna who he has now replaced with a loan.

Bowery cost peanuts and has given 100% and done ok whenever called upon. Helenius is much more of a prospect than Fonz who is championship standard at best. Both of these were bought as squad players and for the future - we will make money on them if they are sold

He did keep Albrighton and loaning him to Wigan was the kick up the arse he needed and no he's back in the first team squad

Bertrand is a clear step up in quality to both Bennett and Luna. Bennett started to play well at the end of last season but has been long term injured and is still injured. Luna has struggled defensively but also lacked cover in front of him, so bringing Bertrand in makes perfect sense. It is also possible that Bertrand could play in front of Luna giving him the cover that he has lacked so far

Tonev was Petrov's recommendation and I assume Lambert took a punt on him. He has been poor so far and not showing any sign of coming good. You win some you lose some.

So now it's Petrov's fault. Anyone but Lambert eh VillaCas? :D

I'll ask you again.

If you feel Lambert's tenure with us has been a success show me a stat with one of your graphs showing our results under Lambert.

What approximately 3million on Luna and Bennett. That fee in itself couldn't purchase Bertrand, so there is the problem.

So Lambert has had just 3m to spend since he became our manager?

That's very obviously not what was meant.

Lambert has a budget and a squad to fill. You take a portion of the budget per position and decide on a player by player basis and judge your most pressing needs at the time. Now that we need less players (arguably) and cover for the left might be nice this makes sense.

Having spent less on two previous players in the same position has abso-****-nothing to do with potentially spending more on a player in the future for the same position.

If the only gap we had to plug was a LB and given the same budget as before then it would make more sense to portion a higher percentage of it to filling that role.

Had he spent more on a LB at the time and missed out on Benteke, for example, then things would be different, no?

No, he could have kept Fonz at the club instead of purchasing Bowery or Helenius. He could have kept Albrighton at the club instead of purchasing Tonev and he could have gotten an LB on loan instead of wasting more money on Bennet and Luna who he has now replaced with a loan.

Bowery cost peanuts and has given 100% and done ok whenever called upon. Helenius is much more of a prospect than Fonz who is championship standard at best. Both of these were bought as squad players and for the future - we will make money on them if they are sold

He did keep Albrighton and loaning him to Wigan was the kick up the arse he needed and no he's back in the first team squad

Bertrand is a clear step up in quality to both Bennett and Luna. Bennett started to play well at the end of last season but has been long term injured and is still injured. Luna has struggled defensively but also lacked cover in front of him, so bringing Bertrand in makes perfect sense. It is also possible that Bertrand could play in front of Luna giving him the cover that he has lacked so far

Tonev was Petrov's recommendation and I assume Lambert took a punt on him. He has been poor so far and not showing any sign of coming good. You win some you lose some.

I'll ask you again.

If you feel Lambert's tenure with us has been a success show me a stat with one of your graphs showing our results under Lambert.

Am I in the 'why we should sack Lambert' thread or transfer speculation thread? I don't go into that thread cause I'm sick of it. Please don't spill it over to a thread I do enjoy looking at.

• Like 2

Can we please start speculating about speculating in the transfer market in this thread please? No offence anybody. :)

:offtopic:

Kevin Kampl ;)

Can we please start speculating about speculating in the transfer market in this thread please? No offence anybody. :)

:offtopic:

Kevin Kampl ;)

Plays for a team owned by Red Bull interesting ....

;)

I'll ask you again.

You should perhaps have a bit of a lie down as you seem very irate!

Its no ones "fault" but the buck stops with Lambert.  As I understand it Petrov recommended him and Lambert took the responsibility to sign him - he's not been any good so far. There we go.

In mitigation of Lambert, I will say that in terms of transfers, like the rest of the finances, I very much doubt that we have an extensive, reliable scouting network so at best I guess we often buy players based on a few tapes and a couple of live viewings. If that's an excuse so be it!

I'll answer you yet again - You seem to be on an eternal quest for me to produce some sort of chart for you - I really don't know what you are looking for but again suggest that you post whatever it is you are looking for yourself.

In terms of success, I am probably not viewing it in the same terms that you are - getting to a sustainable budget, clearing out all the dead wood, building the foundations of a decent squad, changing the culture at the club and eventually recruiting better quality players whilst retaining premiership status is success enough for me for the first two seasons - depending on finances I will expect a bit more next season

In terms of transfers, which is what we are supposed to be discussing, this window again shows the constraints that would make 99% of managers run a mile - two loan signings probably enabled by Ireland's move and (I guess) £1m-£1.5m to spend on fees.

I'm hoping that we can still get Hoolahan but am at a loss as to who else could do a job at the kind of money we seem willing to spend

• Like 2

Do you know we still need A CM!!

My biggest worry about Villa is our lack of creativity in midfield.

My biggest worry about Villa is their lack of creativity in midfield.
  • Like 1

Given that the Ryan Bertrand signing came out of nowhere, what's to say an ACM signing isn't similarly due?

• Like 1

Given that the Ryan Bertrand signing came out of nowhere, what's to say an ACM signing isn't similarly due?

Or another striker! :ph34r:

Mine too, but I think your key are stuck somehow. Also, just because other deals worked faster with less delay and less fuss, doesn't mean RL doesn't agree with us. In fact he stated the same thing!! See, you and I agree with the BPL manager, Lambert.

We must be football GENIUSES!! ;)

I'll ask you again.

You should perhaps have a bit of a lie down as you seem very irate!

Its no ones "fault" but the buck stops with Lambert.  As I understand it Petrov recommended him and Lambert took the responsibility to sign him - he's not been any good so far. There we go.

In mitigation of Lambert, I will say that in terms of transfers, like the rest of the finances, I very much doubt that we have an extensive, reliable scouting network so at best I guess we often buy players based on a few tapes and a couple of live viewings. If that's an excuse so be it!

I'll answer you yet again - You seem to be on an eternal quest for me to produce some sort of chart for you - I really don't know what you are looking for but again suggest that you post whatever it is you are looking for yourself.

In terms of success, I am probably not viewing it in the same terms that you are - getting to a sustainable budget, clearing out all the dead wood, building the foundations of a decent squad, changing the culture at the club and eventually recruiting better quality players whilst retaining premiership status is success enough for me for the first two seasons - depending on finances I will expect a bit more next season

In terms of transfers, which is what we are supposed to be discussing, this window again shows the constraints that would make 99% of managers run a mile - two loan signings probably enabled by Ireland's move and (I guess) £1m-£1.5m to spend on fees.

I'm hoping that we can still get Hoolahan but am at a loss as to who else could do a job at the kind of money we seem willing to spend

Ignoring the usual petty sarcasm I've asked you on four occasions now to produce a simple stat of Lambert's match record during his tenure with us and on every occasion you have refused.

I've asked you to do this because previously you seem very willing to pull a graph out of your back pocket to try and prove that Lambert is doing a good job. One would assume that one of the most telling factors whether Lambert is doing a good job or not is our overall match record under him, yet as I say, you refuse to show this.

Secondly and more on topic you say that you don't think Lambert has an extensive scouting network yet Lambert has connections in Germany and has signed players from other leagues in Europe so I'm not sure that could excuse his ratio of poor signings.

You mention building the foundations of a decent squad. Frankly after signing 16 players currently there has been very little improvement but to try and end on a more positive note the signing of Bertrand on loan is a step in the right direction and if we can get Hoolahan who I mentioned last season then he too will improve us.

Holt is a strange signing but I desperately hope a master stroke and I'll tell you why I have changed my stance on this. I was speaking with two Man U supporters today and when I mentioned the signing of Holt they burst out laughing. I was trying to explain why we had signed him but was duly ridiculed for that attempt. So it would be rather nice if Mr Holt doesn't do what many of us expect and score enough to allow me and other Villa fans to actually say that concerning this particular signing Mr Lambert knew exactly what he was doing.

Man Utd fans will soon be Man City fans. The world wide majority of them are just glory hunting clearings in the woods.

Back on topic

I reckon Norwich will cave in on Hoolahan even though they have a sour relationship with us.

Hoolahan wants to play for us (who wouldn't?) & I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be a Canary anymore.

Â