Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

It seems that the lesson learnt from cheap (hungry) buys is that if they're not actually good enough to play for the first eleven, then they're not cheap! If PL can't trust Helenius, Tonev, Sylla, Bennett, Luna, Bowery et al to do a job then he's wasted what little money he had available. Message to Randy …. use players like Ryan Bertrand as a template for building a fully functioning Villa team. 

Yeah but most of them players can improve due to being young and hopefully will work out in the future, if not we can get rid of them easily enough without losing out on too much money. They will be easy to shift as well due to there low wages.  The important thing now is that we sign quality and make sure we have a quality first eleven and then the decent younger players we have can have a better chance at making it due to less pressure on there shoulders.

This signing really speaks volumes about Lamberts ability to sign decient players.

I mean 3 left backs ? Added to tonev, sylla,hellenius ( not playing him) and kozak(not a fan).

He really is not very good in this area is he ?

Add this to his tactics which are straight from the "Wimbledon" era, I'm scared to think what's next.

That's completely unfair. Luna doesn't speak much English and is playing in a new country and style of football. He needs a full season before you can judge him. Bennett has spent most of the season injured.

May as well change our club's logo to a scapegoat at this rate.

By bringing another LB in on loan who will start in the first team I think we can safely say that Lambert has judged him.

Or maybe decided that he needs more time?

The same as Bennett?

What approximately 3million on Luna and Bennett. That fee in itself couldn't purchase Bertrand, so there is the problem.

So Lambert has had just 3m to spend since he became our manager?

That's very obviously not what was meant.

Lambert has a budget and a squad to fill. You take a portion of the budget per position and decide on a player by player basis and judge your most pressing needs at the time. Now that we need less players (arguably) and cover for the left might be nice this makes sense.

Having spent less on two previous players in the same position has abso-****-nothing to do with potentially spending more on a player in the future for the same position.

If the only gap we had to plug was a LB and given the same budget as before then it would make more sense to portion a higher percentage of it to filling that role.

Had he spent more on a LB at the time and missed out on Benteke, for example, then things would be different, no?

Edited by KitKat

Just because a manager signs a player in a position where he already has players doesn't necessarily mean he's "admitting he's wrong" about the signings.

Haha when he signs a 3rd lb on loan what's it saying then?

That 2 aren't ready and there was a good one available to get in on loan? When he signs strikers it isn't because benteke is shit its because it improves the squad why does everything villa do have to be so bloody negative for some people?

Just because a manager signs a player in a position where he already has players doesn't necessarily mean he's "admitting he's wrong" about the signings.

Both Luna and Bennett are clueless when it comes to simple defensive duties although they both look better the further they get away from our goal, loaning Bertrand is an admission that we need someone to do a better job defensively. Left back has been a problematic position for us ever since Freddie Bouma's injury.

One's been injured all season, the other's had fitness issues, Bertrand can also play on the wing. I hate the fact that we bring an exciting player in and people have to instantly focus on the negative about other players. It's like they can't leave it a day without moaning. All I know is that the squad is stronger than it was last week and there is still almost two weeks to go. I look forward to seeing who we get in next, it seems our transfer activity is so secret that the press don't even pick up moves as obvious as Bertrand and Holt.

• Like 2

One's been injured all season, the other's had fitness issues, Bertrand can also play on the wing. I hate the fact that we bring an exciting player in and people have to instantly focus on the negative about other players. It's like they can't leave it a day without moaning. All I know is that the squad is stronger than it was last week and there is still almost two weeks to go. I look forward to seeing who we get in next, it seems our transfer activity is so secret that the press don't even pick up moves as obvious as Bertrand and Holt.

Exactly. "What it says" is certainly less clear cut than some of marking out.

Also if we are to use this logic then what does the Holt signing say about Benteke hmm?

I was wondering what stick would be used. It seems that we can castigate him over previous signings now, even though most are willing to admit that buying in the bargain bin is tricky by its very nature. Which should make signing replacements for them a more acceptable practice. But seemingly not, when one has the bit between their teeth.

Funny isnt it? If they are indeed shit logic would dictate you'd want them replaced but when they are its still not good enough.

Has holt come in to replace benteke?

I'd be amazed if Bertrand has come in to be cover to Luna like Holt.

It seems Lambert can do no wrong again. If he's got a limited budget then he needs to make better decisions. I'm not expecting him to get everything right but you can't excuse massive gaps in the squad while still replacing areas of the squad where Lambert has previously signed 6 players to play in them.

Has holt come in to replace benteke?

I'd be amazed if Bertrand has come in to be cover to Luna like Holt.

It seems Lambert can do no wrong again. If he's got a limited budget then he needs to make better decisions. I'm not expecting him to get everything right but you can't excuse massive gaps in the squad while still replacing areas of the squad where Lambert has previously signed 6 players to play in them.

There's nothing concrete to suggest that Bertrand is now replacing Luna, not least because it's just a loan.

Who said Lambert can do no wrong?

Â