Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

The problem for me is the timing. Holt is a 31st January last ditch option, not what we are in desperate need of.

If Lambert pulls the 'meltdown' AM signing out of the bag, then it'll go by the way. But if he does'nt.....

Its not hysteria, its worrying.

Why does the timing matter? Ok it's certainly nothing to get excited about but it probably has no bearing on our other signings.

I think it's hysteria. It's not like we're paying big money for him on a permanent deal or anything.

The problem for me is the timing. Holt is a 31st January last ditch option, not what we are in desperate need of.

If Lambert pulls the 'meltdown' AM signing out of the bag, then it'll go by the way. But if he does'nt.....

Why does the timing matter? Ok it's certainly nothing to get excited about but it probably has no bearing on our other signings.

I think it's hysteria. It's not like we're paying big money for him on a permanent deal or anything.

I suppose timing does matter as we haven't been linked to many players and he'll be the first in in this window.

If, say for arguments sake, Holt came in on the 31st (as cover for Kozak - as it appears) but on the back of another 2-3 signings in positions that need addressing - do you think it would be greeted with the same hysteria?

• Like 2

I suppose timing does matter as we haven't been linked to many players and he'll be the first in in this window.

If, say for arguments sake, Holt came in on the 31st (as cover for Kozak - as it appears) but on the back of another 2-3 signings in positions that need addressing - do you think it would be greeted with the same hysteria?

I agree it probably wouldn't be greeted with the same hysteria, but I don't see why the fact that he's our first signing is such a big issue? What matters is who has been brought in by the 1st February, not who the first signing is.

If the 'other signings' materialize that is. If they do, then of course the timing won't matter a jot.

A confirmation as to the type of football we'll continue to play for the rest of the season is probably the most depressing aspect of this signing. We've seen that Helenius can link up well, why not start using and trying getting the best out of him instead. Makes no sense to me at all. I just see Lambert reverting back to the ways in which he got success scrapping his way out of League 1, concerning to say the least. 

Excuse me, but when have you see Helenius link up well?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one moment thinking Helenius is some sort of saviour but I thought his movement looked good against Sheffield United and he looked fairly confident, something to work on at least. I believe he can offer more to the team all round than Holt. Holt will push him back a place now, I just don't see the point. 

The hysteria comes from our lack of knowledge of funds. Naturally people could assume that GH will eat into our ability to sign players destined for the starting XI.

But if the manager knows it's not going to affect his other targets, why deprive himself of having him in the next few days just to keep a bunch of pissy pants less miserable?

• Like 2

I agree it probably wouldn't be greeted with the same hysteria, but I don't see why the fact that he's our first signing is such a big issue? What matters is who has been brought in by the 1st February, not who the first signing is.

I totally agree it shouldn't matter - unfortunately to some it does.

For me, brining in Holt is completely uninspiring but I can see why it's being done (as cover for Kozak)

I just hope he either scores a couple of late goals or wins a few penalties to help gain us points

• Like 1

I'd have preferred young and hungry Wells, but as we couln't compete with Huddersfield *shrugs shoulders*.

Can you show me where we bid for Wells and were subsequently out-muscled by Huddersfield?

Well, no granted, I don't have an email from Lerner confirming our interest to PM you, but as you also know, all the paper-talk was, we were interested in this chap. And he is young and up-and-comer, so he would fit in with what has been tried these last 18 month.

According to Kendrick there was no interest in Wells.

Saying with can't compete with Huddersfield is ridiculous, simply for the league we're in if nothing else.

It would seem our interest was passing at best, and did not result in a bid. I guess we couldn't compete with them for Joe Lolley either?

Ok. I am not here to pick an arguement with you and I dont remember having read anything about us being linked to Lolley.

Peace. Over and out.

I dont think theres a shit over the hill 'experienced player we would'nt look at! Should'nt grabbed Delap before he retired, at least he had a throw on him?????

Really?  He will be the FIRST player over 30 that Lambert has signed!  

He's the most direct understudy for Kozak that wouldn't cost anything to bring in.

Helenius is part of the bench mystique - where we assume players not in the starting XI are the answer to our prayers. Helenius, Gary Gardner, Sylla...

Fact is that PL and Helenius' agent have both said he's getting there but not fully ready for the league. Holt could be effective in the short term safe in the knowledge he's not part of any long-term plan.

Â