Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Randy Lerner is a buiness man first and foremost he has no intrest in football other than he gets a fair return for his investment and for that reason alone he should be respected

What?

Why on earth would he choose to invest in a football club then if he purely wanted money… surely the man would put his cash somewhere else instead of destroying our club. He deserves no respect.

Randy Lerner is a buiness man first and foremost he has no intrest in football other than he gets a fair return for his investment and for that reason alone he should be respected

What?

Why on earth would he choose to invest in a football club then if he purely wanted money… surely the man would put his cash somewhere else instead of destroying our club. He deserves no respect.

Certainly true, although if he does want out I would expect him to be trying to recoup as much money as possible.

What?

Certainly true, although if he does want out I would expect him to be trying to recoup as much money as possible.

That would make sense. And he certainly seems to be doing that. I get it i really do but c'mon don't invest in sports unless you can cope with the loss - for the love of the sport. It's simple. The guy is now crushing dreams, history and the fans along with it. He knows thousands of people care about this club which is what pisses me off the most. 

P.S. Sorry about the little melodramatic break down there.

Edited by tomh621
  • Like 1

We aren't going to get anyone in to give us a lift before losing the next two matches whereby the table could have us in a desperate position and also lacking in confidence.

again, looking on the bright side....

Well excuse me for having freedom of speech, I have been too positive for far too long.

Not that I have to answer to the likes of you.

Another window and apart from the link to an old player who's club don't want our money nothing of any real substance to report, no surprises there as we have been here many many times when it's action that is required sooner rather than later.

Arsenal on Monday, with only 1 fit centre half and as Lambert played the slowest right back in the universe ever in place of a talented youngster at CH I can only assume "we go again" head first into another depressing home performance. After all if Sheffield Utd's players new they could take the piss does anyone think Arsenal's team wont?

I'm not saying if we had brought someone like (and I spit 1st before writing his name) Roger Johnson who has Premiership experience that we would fair any better against Arsenal but the right player might just give everyone a lift so we could see that there is light at the end of this very dark and depressing tunnel.

I'm sure if we, the fans could "see" the plan or at least understand what the club are attempting to do in terms of improving Aston Villa then the whole atmosphere at VP on match days would improve. However the signing of very average to poor players sends out the message that we are not about to improve any time soon and we will continue to struggle, only bluenoses accept this as Villans we do not.

Average gates of 36k at home show what great support for Villa is out there as this is with the worst squad since 87 playing the worst football I have ever seen! If only they had something to cheer about, to get excited about instead of the fans booing and shouting insults at the team there would be encouraging words and singing, even in defeat as long as they witness talented players in C&B putting in the effort. Unfortunately we are a million miles away from this at the moment.

• Like 2

What's with the assumptions re: our plans and Lerner himself?

FFS it's pathetic - wait until the window shuts and you have some foundations to lay your moany claims on rather than just spouting out a load of guesswork and getting your knickers in a twist about it. 

• Like 1

Where have we heard that before Lexicon? Oh yeah. Last few transfer windows. Its clear Randy does not want to spend any further. Happy to heat humble pie and be proven wrong but in sure i wont be.

Where have we heard that before Lexicon? Oh yeah. Last few transfer windows. Its clear Randy does not want to spend any further. Happy to heat humble pie and be proven wrong but in sure i wont be.

So we didn't sign anybody last transfer window?

By your own words, if we sign absolutely anybody this window then you're wrong as he will have 'spent further'. 

Do you even think about what you type before you do it?

By your own words, if we sign absolutely anybody this window then you're wrong as he will have 'spent further'. 

We have heard this line "wait until the end of the window over and over", while I agree with it during the summer period at least up until the season kicks off after that it always smacks of desperation to me. Yes I include Benteke in that.

During the winter window games come thick and fast which wouldn't be a problem if A, we didn't have so many key injuries. B, we had a decent squad, we don't. While I fully appreciate that you can only buy a player quickly when the selling club and player are willing but maybe in the case of WH Lambert or whoever it is at VP should have realised that Norwich would be less than interested in dealing with Villa and so picked a different target.

We need players in ASAP, especially a good experienced CH. If that ends up being 31st Jan then so be it but I just hope we don't drop unnecessary points between now and then because me may well need them come May time.

• Like 2

But we don't know who we are in for or what is going on, that's the point.

The issue with urgency is that clubs are not really under much pressure to sell in January and don't really want to let any good players go - if you come in to negotiations and appear desperate, then they'll fleece you (Carroll for 35mil, for example), so there is a fine line that has to be trodden here and it doesn't really appear to be that simple. There have been very few moves so far. 

The 'wait until the window is over' line has been done before but that's because it's the only sensible option a person can take before forming a judgement. 

We may as well have signed noone last transfer window (January window.. just thought id make it clear for you). I will make my 'spent further' comment a little more clear for you as well. I meant i will be proven wrong if Randy provides a decent amount of funds to support his manager in purchasing 'experienced' proven players he wants to bring in and not settle for 3rd/4th choice players on his list. As in reasonable amounts of money/wages on proven players.. not 1 million on two woeful players (1 on loan mind you). Or rather another lower league signing who we hope may become good (otherwise seen as a gamble or risk signing) to keep us from yet another impending relegation battle. This will be our fourth in a row if we do set down that path. This is not an attack on Lambert as he can only spend what he is given.

Lambert made it clear in the latest press conference as he mentioned looking for experienced players that hes looked or enquired about. Yet he said it was not 'possible'. I am happy to wait and see what happens by the end of the window but i dont believe i will be proven wrong. Just my opinion. Dont see why people want to attack others for having an opinion you disagree with. But i guess you prefer to be a smart arse and attack someones intelligence to support your argument.

Edited by KSV

If you hadn't written something so banal in the first place and just written what you actually meant rather than 'spend further', we wouldn't have had that conversation. 

More importantly though, surely the effect the player has on the team is more important than how much he costs, whether he was a risk or not or where he comes from? I think your stipulations aren't a bad guide but certainly not the be all and end all. I also think you're being a bit harsh on Sylla, who certainly had a positive impact when he signed. 

If you hadn't written something so banal in the first place and just written what you actually meant rather than 'spend further', we wouldn't have had that conversation. 

More importantly though, surely the effect the player has on the team is more important than how much he costs, whether he was a risk or not or where he comes from? I think your stipulations aren't a bad guide but certainly not the be all and end all. I also think you're being a bit harsh on Sylla, who certainly had a positive impact when he signed. 

Well i was on my phone. I didnt have time to sit their and correct everything. I am pretty sure most people would identify that i meant to spend 5-15 million dollars rather than 1-2 million this transfer window. Especially when we really lack quality in midfield.

To be fair i probably am a bit harsh on Sylla. I dont mind him as he has something our other players dont have. A physical prescence. However he is a poor footballer. I am sure you will agree with me though, if Randy had supported Lambert with a bit more funding whether it was on wages (could have had Sissoko or someone of that quality rather than 3-4 poor players who dont add much) or transfer fee, then Sylla would not have been brought in. Lack of funding forced Lambert to take a risk. This to me is what shows Randy's lack of ambition. To be honest, i dont even blame him as he did pump in the money and got burnt... but if he cannot sustain it then he must sell up and go (which is what i think his lack of spending, lack of attending etc shows). Again, this is just my opinion. Dont want to argue or convince anyone, its just how i see it mate.

In the end, I appreciate Randy is running the club more astutely and trying to prevent further debt however if we get relegated. It will be devastating. We are currently in 11th position but we do have some really tough games ahead and we could easily be 15-16th within a few games. Our performances are poor and the crowd is restless. The club, the fans, we all need a lift to support the manager and players before the team slides further down the ladder. This is my concern. We need a 'meltdown' signing to lift the spirits around the squad and club to prevent us from slipping down. We wont get that without funding.

I really really do hope I am wrong but i cannot see Randy providing funds (whether its wages or fees) to get the players Lambert WANTS to keep us competitive to stay up. We may sign Hoolahan on deadline day for a few million but that wont be enough. He would make a good squad player but we need more. We need 2-3 quality players to walk into our side. Hoolahan would only be a good signing if it came with a few more with real quality. Otherwise, it is another risky approach to continue the second half of the season without properly improving the squad like last January.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

Â