Songs that make you cry

welnik

Anything by the Beatl.. I cry for the gullibility of humanity

This looks like the start of a promising rant.

Could you supply the whole thing?

Oh no..... :huh:

Mike's saying he's heard it all before from me many times on VT so you'll forgive me if I just tell you that the Beatles and Queen are two bands that make my blood boil

Mike's saying he's heard it all before from me many times on VT so you'll forgive me if I just tell you that the Beatles and Queen are two bands that make my blood boil

Out of compassion for Mooney's sensibilities we won't carry it on here but could you direct me to the thread you might have delivered your thesis, and then I can do a search.

Thanks!

Nah, by all means let's have the debate.

I have no problem with people not liking The Beatles. If I hadn't been growing up in the 60s, maybe I wouldn't either. And Bickster lives in Liverpool, which must up the irritation factor considerably.

Like Grayson Perry said, you don't have to like everything.

I hardly ever play any Beatles music, mainly because I'm massively over-familiar with it (it's all in my head). I'll certainly buy the new "Live at the BBC Vol 2" though, because I'm a completist, and I need it for the collection.

So, I'm happy with anyone who says "I can't stand them, they get on my nerves" or whatever.

Where I draw the line is when people say they were not that important, that "[insert name of hip band] were far more influential on the history of music". 

The phrase "You had to be there" is over-used, but in this case, it's true.

Like 'em or hate 'em, the chances are that without them your favourite bands would certainly not exist in the form they do.

• Like 2

A conversation in general topic reminded me of this song, I first heard when I was five and taught me everything about perseverance and overcoming the obstacles life throws at you -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJnBm8u4hXM

...It's not a song about attempted murder like my sister says it is.

Nah, by all means let's have the debate.

I have no problem with people not liking The Beatles. If I hadn't been growing up in the 60s, maybe I wouldn't either. And Bickster lives in Liverpool, which must up the irritation factor considerably.

Like Grayson Perry said, you don't have to like everything.

I hardly ever play any Beatles music, mainly because I'm massively over-familiar with it (it's all in my head). I'll certainly buy the new "Live at the BBC Vol 2" though, because I'm a completist, and I need it for the collection.

So, I'm happy with anyone who says "I can't stand them, they get on my nerves" or whatever.

Where I draw the line is when people say they were not that important, that "[insert name of hip band] were far more influential on the history of music". 

The phrase "You had to be there" is over-used, but in this case, it's true.

Like 'em or hate 'em, the chances are that without them your favourite bands would certainly not exist in the form they do.

I agree with everything you say Mooney, and I'm not a Beatles fan at all.

What I would say though, is that I draw the line when people act like The Beatles were entirely responsible for how music and the industry are today. There were plenty of bands (better bands in my opinion) around at the same time who also deserve credit. The Beatles were a huge influence though, there's no denying it.

I just don't like most of their songs, that's about it, oh and I really never thought that much of McCartney as a musician or singer either.

• 3 weeks later...

Its a funny thing music. 

I come from an Irish family on my moms side, she is still alive and well but whenever I hear one of the Irish classics I cant help but get emotional.

Its nothing to do with family loss as nearly all are alive and kicking and I cant say I listened to it whilst I was a youngster. Its a strange one.

The only other person who gets me is Johnny Cash, for similar reasons.

Â