David Beckham - Miami new club

Electric Avenue

The Beckhams are insufferably boring, but I hope this works out for them.  He's got the connections in the industry to pull this off, and I hope he does well.

to be fair to him I dont think his press coverage is that bad, in a country where Jordan doing nothing gets on the front page at least he's normally in the news because he's doing something, either charity, promoting the country etc etc good luck to him

his missus on the other hand...

I lived in Miami for many years and I don't think a MLS franchise can be successful in that town even with Beckham's backing.

In the past MLS franchise teams have developed out of smaller teams from USL-1 the 2nd tier of US soccer. Following the NBA expansion model, the team/organization had to demonstrate that it had enough local interest to support a MLS franchise. It's my understanding the Miami/Beckham plan is to create a team out of thin air.

Perhaps the MLS think that bending the rules for brand Beckham (again) will be successful but there is scant evidence to suggest that Miami has fans willing to regularly show up for soccer games.

It is well known that South Florida in general has 'fair weather' fans - see the Dolphins, Marlins and the Miami Heat. It's difficult to predict exactly what the largely transient population of Miami will and won't show up for.

In the past MLS franchise teams have developed out of smaller teams from USL-1 the 2nd tier of US soccer. Following the NBA expansion model, the team/organization had to demonstrate that it had enough local interest to support a MLS franchise. It's my understanding the Miami/Beckham plan is to create a team out of thin air.

Of the current MLS franchises,

Montreal Impact: from a USL-1 club

Toronto FC: out of thin air

New England Revolution: out of thin air

Red Bull New York (f/k/a NY/NJ Metrostars): out of thin air

Philadelphia Union: out of thin air

DC United: out of thin air

Columbus Crew: out of thin air

Chicago Fire: out of thin air

Sporting KC (f/k/a Kansas City Wizards, f/k/a Kansas City Wiz): out of thin air

FC Dallas (f/k/a Dallas Burn): out of thin air

Houston Dynamo (f/k/a San Jose Earthquakes, f/k/a San Jose Clash): out of thin air

Colorado Rapids: out of thin air

Real Salt Lake: out of thin air

LA Galaxy: out of thin air

Chivas USA: out of thin air

San Jose Earthquakes: out of thin air

Portland Timbers: from a USL-1 club

Seattle Sounders: from a USL-1 club

Vancouver Whitecaps: from a USL-1 club

This could work. Miami has a massive Colombian population, and sizable Brazilian, Venezuelan and Ecuadoran communities which would support the club, as well as the massive Americans-from-somewhere-else community that moved down there.

The Beckham factor will be a draw for celebs and high profile players who want that glamor lifestyle.

The Beckham factor will be a draw for celebs and high profile players who want that glamor lifestyle.

Also: Florida has no state income tax, which won't hurt in convincing high profile players who want to come to MLS.

Then again, Miami fans are quite possibly the worst front-runners in the history of American sports. Of course, it doesn't help that nearly everyone is from somewhere else, but still, if they're not winning right away, they won't draw flies. Look at Miami Dolphins attendances (I'll ignore the Panthers (ice hockey is not exactly an established sport in South Florida) and the Marlins (I could understand why fans would refuse to give a dime to Jeff Loria)).

This could work. Miami has a massive Colombian population, and sizable Brazilian, Venezuelan and Ecuadoran communities which would support the club, as well as the massive Americans-from-somewhere-else community that moved down there.

Yeah, I recon they will draw most of their fan base from the south american communities there. Could be more of a reliable fan base than the NFL/basketball fans. 

Â