David Beckham - Miami new club

Electric Avenue

Miami Fusion

Major League Soccer had reportedly lost an estimated $250 million during its first five years. The league's poor financial condition forced MLS to stop the bleeding. During the winter break between the 2000 and 2001 seasons, reports began circulating that MLS was considering trimming the league from 12 teams back to 10 teams. Rumors began circulating that the league might pull the plug on the Fusion, even though the Fusion had a low-cost stadium lease, and an improved performance in 2001 with increased fan attendance.

MLS announced in January 2002 that it had decided to contract the two Florida franchises, the Tampa Bay Mutiny and the Miami Fusion. Both teams were withdrawn from the league, ceased operations and folded. Major League Soccer's contraction reduced the league from 12 to 10 teams.

The league had chosen to fold the Miami Fusion, in part because the Fusion's ownership reportedly lacked financial resources, had been trying to run the Fusion on a bare-minimum budget, and had asked the League to pay some of the club's expenses. Commissioner Garber stated that the Fusion had the lowest revenue in the league, due to fewer season tickets and almost no revenue from corporate sponsorships.

Miami ownership had reportedly experienced $15 million in operating losses since Miami joined the league. The Fusion's owner, Ken Horowitz, described several difficulties with operating an MLS soccer franchise in South Florida. Many Miami residents are not originally from the area and don't necessarily identify with and support the local sports teams. Additionally, the MLS season is in the summer, which is different from the youth soccer season, making it difficult to draw youth soccer teams to attend Fusion matches, and which issues with the local summertime heat and rain. Finally, Horowitz identified a lack of corporate support for the team.

Playing in a converted high school stadium didn't help matters, though they did draw almost as many fans as sha do...

They also gave Ray Hudson his first commentary job, before making him manager.

Sky Sports really need to sign up Hudson as a commentator.

Unfortunately he has personality, which goes against Sky's hiring policy.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

This could work. Miami has a massive Colombian population, and sizable Brazilian, Venezuelan and Ecuadoran communities which would support the club, as well as the massive Americans-from-somewhere-else community that moved down there.

Which is partly why it's not guaranteed to work. In Miami those communities are actually quite segregated and have their own dynamic/racism/snobbery. e.g. the Argentinians look down on everyone, everyone looks down on the Mexicans etc. and the Cuban population has it's own unique standing in Miami.

It doesn't necessarily translate that because there are passionate football fans in the home countries of these expats you'll get now they're living somewhere else - especially if it means mixing with others they don't really like to be around. For example baseball is huge in Venezuela and Cuba and both countries are well represented in South Florida. But that doesn't seem to help the Marlins who are are the 2nd least attended team in MLB http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Another issue is the MLS season is played through the summer. I've been to early season Miami Dolphin games in September which were unbearable because of the heat and humidity. Games in June and July in the middle of the afternoon would possibly be dangerous for fans and players.

MLS is considering going to an August-May calendar, though. That would also mean basically no home games for Miami in August or September (since I don't see MLS scheduling any home games in New England, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, et al) between mid-November and the end of February).

MLS is considering going to an August-May calendar, though. That would also mean basically no home games for Miami in August or September (since I don't see MLS scheduling any home games in New England, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, et al) between mid-November and the end of February).

I think a winter break like Russia might be included.

I think a winter break like Russia might be included.

That would solve the heat issue. 

not really up to date on schedules but wouldnt that clash with bigger rated sports like NFL, NHL and NBA

Â