Who is the all time greatest sportsman

villaguy

Roger Federer

Not far wrong for me. His dominance cannot be understated.

Somebody wrote a few pages ago that if Tennis were as popular as football then you'd probably never have heard of Federer. Even if that wasn't complete shite, you could say that for every sport except football. In which case maybe football (a team sport may I add) needs to be removed from the conversation as an outlier. Which still leaves me at Federer.

All knelt before his brilliance. A bit like Messi, only he did it all on his jack.

• Like 1

Ali has to go down as the greatest heavy weight but Rocky Marciano cant be discounted as he was undefeated as heavy weight champion.

Looking at greatest ever cricketers iI'd go with Gary Sobers.

I think Marciano would be at the bottom end of a top 10 list, the best names on his record (Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles and Joe Lewis) were well past their best when he beat them.

I think the best heavyweight of all time is a toss up between Ali and Joe Louis. With massive shouts out to Jack Dempsey and Jack Johnson. Jack Johnson of course being the first black heavyweight champion. A real pathbreaker fighting a lot of his career at a time where black people could not fight for the world heavy weight title but rather the world 'coloured' heavyweight title. He fought Jim Jefferies in the 'fight of the century' scheduled for 45 rounds and managed to win via a KO somewhat earlier than that.

Lists vary. I just googled it and two of them had him at no.1. I think Rocky is a very under-rated fighter. The fact he never lost a fight and is the only heavyweight to do that puts him right up there. There was a computererised fight between him and Ali and he came out the winner.

. There was a computererised fight between him and Ali and he came out the winner.

There is a good article about that on (I think) The Guardian. I'll see if I can fish it out. The computer was bollocks by the way.

The forgotten story of … the Rocky Marciano v Muhammad Ali Super Fight | Sean Ingle

http://gu.com/p/3bnt4

Edited by The_Rev

Lists vary. I just googled it and two of them had him at no.1. I think Rocky is a very under-rated fighter. The fact he never lost a fight and is the only heavyweight to do that puts him right up there. There was a computererised fight between him and Ali and he came out the winner.

LOL

Marciano was a vert small heavyweight a prime Ali would have killed him off of his jab alone, Marciano wouldn't get near him for the entire fight. 

That said arguing that a boxer is better based on the idea that someone from one era would beat someone from another is silly. On that basis the Klitschko's would be top 5 of all time, when they aren't. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

In terms of slams Federer has won more and Sampras never won the French. If both players were at their peak at the same time dunno.  Nadal has had the better of Federer and Sampras wouldn't have stood a chance against him on clay. Djokovic although he hasn't won anywhere near the amount of slams has largely had the better of everyone since 2011 although he has lost some big slam finals and semi's in the last 2 years.

LOL

Marciano was a vert small heavyweight a prime Ali would have killed him off of his jab alone, Marciano wouldn't get near him for the entire fight. 

That said arguing that a boxer is better based on the idea that someone from one era would beat someone from another is silly. On that basis the Klitschko's would be top 5 of all time, when they aren't. 

Yes he was small and light for a heavyweight but 49-0 fight record and 43 knockouts. Fraser was a poor man's Rocky and he beat Ali in their first fight and was definately his toughest apponent

Edited by PaulC

Lol this post literally made me spit my tea out. Being undefeated dont mean nothing, if that was the case then joe calzaghe would be the greatest also. Like someone said rocky only fought guys at the end of their careers or ones that were handpicked. He is well overrated defo not underrated thats for sure.

Joe louis was the greatest fighter of all time. In my life time my personal favourites based on achievements and skills were prime roy jones jnr and manny pacquiao

• Like 1

Lol this post literally made me spit my tea out. Being undefeated dont mean nothing, if that was the case then joe calzaghe would be the greatest also. Like someone said rocky only fought guys at the end of their careers or ones that were handpicked. He is well overrated defo not underrated thats for sure.

Joe louis was the greatest fighter of all time. In my life time my personal favourites based on achievements and skills were prime roy jones jnr and manny pacquiao

You can't say being undefeated means nothing. Of course its something. I'm not saying Joe Louis wasn't the greatest but I think its wrong to dismiss Rocky's achievements like you have done. Were either of us around when he fought? . No but I remember talking to a number of people who were around during this period and I was trying to make a case for Ali being the greatest and they convinced me about Rocky. He was as hard as they come. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaw2QFC1Qg

says he doesn't know whether he would have beaten him and that he would have been tougher than Joe Frazier.

Edited by PaulC

MJ

Took to page 6 for him to get a mention, wow, he's number one for me. How anyone can compare Michael Jordan to Ronnie O'Sullivan is beyond me. Messi is up there no doubt, but it's so hard to compare sports, you'd have to say the more popular sports should hold a heavier weighting due to the the greater number of opponents and direct competition. Jordan takes it for me though, to win 3 championships in a row, take a season and a bit out to play minor league baseball and come back and win another 3 in a row that's some going. Faced a lot of great nba players too and beat them all and has about $700m to show for it.

sorry but why can't they be compared, yet you then try to compare a footballer with a basketball player? As you say it's hard to compare sports but make no reason that suggests why o'sullivan isn't in the same category as another top sportsman

Â