Getting older

villaguy

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Euthanasia is a weird one. 

When an animal is totally infirm or in terminal pain you put them down as "it's the humane" thing to do. 

Yet we insist that humans have to live on in pain and suffering deteriorating until they eventually die. 

Why can't we treat humans humanely? 

It's the 'what if' concern I think. 

What if the person would later change their mind?

What if a cure was just on the horizon?

Having seen my Gran deteriorate from a clever, strong willed and independent woman into a parkinsons ravaged wreck who didn't even know where she was. I can definitely see the argument for euthanasia if that's what people want. 

Sadly saw my old man slowly die of cancer, he never made it to 71. He was larger than life, a great dad, I mean he introduced me to the Villa after all!

But to see him bed ridden, totally unaware of what's happening was an awful experience. There was no way he was going to get better....you would not keep a dog or cat alive in that condition.

I would hate to be a burden to my family as no doubt he hated it as well.

If I could chose the moment I snuff if it will be just after the Villa do a lap of honour with the FA cup, i can then slowly nod off, for good !

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

When an animal is totally infirm or in terminal pain you put them down as "it's the humane" thing to do. 

Yet we insist that humans have to live on in pain and suffering deteriorating until they eventually die. 

That reminds me of that story John Cleese tells about his mother, who started moaning that she wished she was dead.

Cleese said to her that he knew a bloke down the pub who would do the job for a reasonable fee.

His mother found it hilarious, and it cheered her up.

• Haha 1

Was at a concert a couple of weeks ago, felt absolutely fine and then all of a sudden went sickly, wobbly and passed out (literally down and up by the sounds of it) - been fine since, although Im a bit more conscious of almost constantly being on the verge out being out of breath.

Went to the doctors last Wednesday, and blood pressure was high - not sure how high, but the readings I've done since at home are roughly 153/96. Got an ECG and blood samples being taken in a couple of weeks time.

And so middle age officially begins...

Edited by StewieGriffin

4 hours ago, delboy54 said:

If I could chose the moment I snuff if it will be just after the Villa do a lap of honour with the FA cup, i can then slowly nod off, for good !

At this rate you might be living forever then.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

It's the 'what if' concern I think. 

What if the person would later change their mind?

What if a cure was just on the horizon?

Having seen my Gran deteriorate from a clever, strong willed and independent woman into a parkinsons ravaged wreck who didn't even know where she was. I can definitely see the argument for euthanasia if that's what people want. 

You could say the same about people who commit suicide. Ultimately, if someone is off sound mind, and wants to end it, there should be an option, subject to a consultation and period of 'cooling off'. 

People who have started to deteriorate mentally, then it is more difficult. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

You could say the same about people who commit suicide. Ultimately, if someone is off sound mind, and wants to end it, there should be an option, subject to a consultation and period of 'cooling off'. 

People who have started to deteriorate mentally, then it is more difficult. 

As I said I'm not against euthanasia.

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think the question is, would we have caught the likes of Shipman if part of his job is killing people?

Euthanasia is one of those topics for me where I think there are good points on both sides of the argument but I've never come across one that convinced me fully either way.

I think anyone who is against euthanasia has never experienced the trauma, heartache and despair of a loved one slowly dying due to some horrific painful, terminal condition or having alzheimer's where they eventually forget even how to swallow...

53 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think the question is, would we have caught the likes of Shipman if part of his job is killing people?

Euthanasia is one of those topics for me where I think there are good points on both sides of the argument but I've never come across one that convinced me fully either way.

I believe it should be the choice of the individual, and prepared for whilst they are of sound mind, almost like a will, which the family carries out if problems arise.

But no, there is no correct answer to incorporate the entire subject.

2 minutes ago, Chine said:

Getting old or going round the twist ? I took our ring doorbell into the kitchen to charge it up yesterday , I charge it camera side down so it doesn’t keep alerting me with its little jingle that someone has been detected, it had been charging for a few hours so I turned it over to check on its progress. My phone was on the dining room table and started its person detection jingle , I proceeded to put down the doorbell and go and open the front door ,I looked up and down the road and no one in sight , I came back into the kitchen puzzled as to why it went off , then I realised 

I work in the dining room and hear a neighbours Ring go off through the wall, every single time, even without my phone alerting me, I get up and check my door.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think I need glasses 

I absolutely do. Use cheap readers at the moment but do need to have a proper eye test. 

Its true what they say. Too much and it sends you blind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I absolutely do. Use cheap readers at the moment but do need to have a proper eye test. 

Its true what they say. Too much and it sends you blind. 

Absolutely shocking eye sight. 

• Like 1

I've needed readers for years. Last time I had a proper eye test I mentioned when using a computer screen I could never decide if I needed to sit close with readers on of sit far back and use naked eyes. 

He said I could have a mid distance prescription for computer use. Call me stupid but I had no idea. 

Anyway it's the best thing I ever did. Absolutely brilliant to use. 

Â