Getting older

villaguy

There must be SOMEONE on Villatalk who wears no socks who can tell us what the Kids are actually saying. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I was trying to think what I'd include of my lifetime (mid thirties) so far if I were having this conversation when I'm your age. Help me out guys, give me some optimism, we've got something other than 9/11, right? :D 

9/11, Brexit, Covid

I'd.l rather have Mooneys list. 

• Like 3

I remember around my late teens saying 'top' a lot as an adjective that would describe the excellence of whatever was the main noun in focus. My phase abruptly stopped and i realised I wasn't being cool when I pronounce "top hat" to much confusion. I sounded a tit then as much as i do now recalling it.

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've seen England win the World Cup, Villa win the league and the European Cup, the first moon landings, and a load of great bands. Being old has its compensations. 

Nonsense.  It never happened.  It was faked. It was filmed on a studio set.  

When Peter Withe scores that goal he's got 4 shadows all going in different directions.  

• Like 1

I recall people starting to say, ‘ did you do the business’for all sorts of related activities such as football violence, shagging a bird, getting a job et cetera this was early 80s

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Ha. I can remember adults tutting about 'fab' in 1963. 

Interesting. 🤔 I often say fab instead of fabulous. And I've started saying fave instead of favourite. And a scouse mate got me saying deffo...

I quickly realised today that I'm deffo fine with youngsters saying bantz. Just as well otherwise I'd be a hypocrite! (E.g. What was wrong with the word favourite?! Well sometimes maybe it is simply just about making a long word shorter, to speak more quickly and easily).

I suppose every generation invents some new words when they're young. In their teens and 20s. Part of their culture, group identity, creativity... a bit of fun too.. perhaps also some subconscious desire to be different from their parents' generation, a bit rebellious even in a way.

12 hours ago, robby b said:

Interesting. 🤔 I often say fab instead of fabulous. And I've started saying fave instead of favourite. And a scouse mate got me saying deffo...

I quickly realised today that I'm deffo fine with youngsters saying bantz. Just as well otherwise I'd be a hypocrite! (E.g. What was wrong with the word favourite?! Well sometimes maybe it is simply just about making a long word shorter, to speak more quickly and easily).

I suppose every generation invents some new words when they're young. In their teens and 20s. Part of their culture, group identity, creativity... a bit of fun too.. perhaps also some subconscious desire to be different from their parents' generation, a bit rebellious even in a way.

Coolio. 

8 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

there's bare bantz, sick fam.

😅 Yes.

Hmm, now I'm quite confident that I can translate this correctly:  'there's a lot of banter, great family'.

Edited by robby b

6 minutes ago, robby b said:

😅 Yes.

Hmm, now I'm quite confident that I can translate this correctly:  'there's a lot of banter, great family'.

your guess is as good as mine. I haven't got a clue most of the time what my kids are on about, I really am the old git, I nod and ask if they can turn the tv up for me.

• Haha 3

Â