What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I showed up some kid with a Fiesta RS today.

His girlfriend lives just down the road from me so I've often seen him drive past but it sounds like he's just had a cherry bomb fitted to it. I live on a corner opposite a cul-de-sac so the road is kind of a Y shape. He's coming along and meets his girlfriends mum who drives a mid 90s Fiesta in the middle so he revs his car, showing off his new exhaust before driving up and round the cul-de-sac and pulling up to rev is again.

As he gets out the car I decided to fire up the Mustang, V8 with 2 cherry bombs. Her certainly heard that :P

Showing up boy racers, especially when they're in Imprezas or similar is the best fun known to man.

Motorbikes should be made to use the cyclepaths.

7406%20-%20animated_macro%20autoplay_gif

I showed up some kid with a Fiesta RS today.

His girlfriend lives just down the road from me so I've often seen him drive past but it sounds like he's just had a cherry bomb fitted to it. I live on a corner opposite a cul-de-sac so the road is kind of a Y shape. He's coming along and meets his girlfriends mum who drives a mid 90s Fiesta in the middle so he revs his car, showing off his new exhaust before driving up and round the cul-de-sac and pulling up to rev is again.

As he gets out the car I decided to fire up the Mustang, V8 with 2 cherry bombs. Her certainly heard that :P

You are the coolest person in the world.

I think we can all discuss the relative merits of certain cars in respect to performance etc and probably disagree - but in terms of "gadgets" / features what do people find useful?

On the "boy toy" at the moment it has a few extras on it including

• Rear view camera
  • Auto detect on "blind spot" - it issues alert when other vehicles are in your blind spot
  • Lane tracking - rumbles steering wheel if stray across white line
  • Auto windscreen wiper / full beam - swiches on wipers if need be and also switches on full beam if needed
  • Key less entry - no firking around for keys etc
  • Road sign detection - displays speed limits for roads based on road signs it "sees"
  • Heated leather reccaro seats - Hmmmmmmm
  • Quick clear front and back - no scraping ice etc
  • Auto stop for collision avoidance - have to be going less than 20 mph though
  • Full voice activation for most features, phone (links to IPhone address book etc), radio,

and quite a few others. It's not meant as a "look at me" list, but thinking of where cars were only 5  years back compared to now for features etc. what will be "standard" soon?

Had two focus st 3's and they are a joy to drive. The older version had the petrol drinking engine but was fast as f***. The new one is a lot better on mpg but flies.

Bad vw and peugeot ones before, ok but not as good as the focus. Drove a leon cupra which was fun, but seemed to lack something.

What are you driving at the moment Ian?  I've got 6 months left before I'm due for a new one, not sure what to go for.  I'd like something else stupidly fast and uneconomical, but coming under pressure to get something a bit more family friendly..

We do have other "sensible" cars in the family that I use, but for the "boy toy" its a fully specced Focus ST3 - see above for features. In terms of performance 0-60 just over 6 secs, about 30MPG, stacks of room in it and a absolute joy to drive. Living where you do, it would be a dream to drive. Like us in the peak district lanes etc, grips the road like baby shit on a blanket. Not too expensive about 30K on the road and insurance is actually pretty good.

Edit: If you do want to be a bit sensible they come in normal hatchback and estate versions so can do family bit if need be

Not everyone's cup of tea but gets good write ups from various people "in the know" and I like it and am happy to watch people in the rear view mirror dissapear :-)

Edited by drat01

I'm doing quite a few miles at the moment and there is an obvious short list any car has to have:

automatic

cruise control

comfortable seats

cd / mp3 play

all the other stuff is great but secondary

The automatic was a revelation, it's one of these systems where you can just leave it to do its thing, or you can switch it to a comfort or sporty setting, or you can actually use the gearstick as a clutchless manual gearbox.

I'd never go back to a manual car.  I love the effortless driving of an automatic, but if I do want to feel more in control I've got those paddles on the steering wheel.  In M mode, it also gives me an LED indicator for when to change at optimum revs.

The ST has cruise control - very useful when going through those 50mph limits on motorway with speed cams

Agree with the seats thing - the Recarro's are surprisingly comfortable and give great support etc - the heated bit is just a luxury but nice :-)

Re music had a big debate about this with a colleague some time back. I like a RDS radio just to get access to more stations etc, For my own music I like the Synch options / Blutooth etc so can get access to i "stuff" 

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken the Cadillac off the road as a daily driver and have now purchased a 2007 Saturn Aura

2007_Saturn_Aura_XE.jpg

(aka the North American version, pre-GM bankruptcy, of the Vectra)

((indeed, in Saturn's last few years as a marque, they essentially became North American versions of Opels/Vauxhalls, e.g. the Saturn Astra))

6 weeks ago I would have defended the manual gearbox to the death. The gearbox in the Landy is shit beyond belief. Laggy, stupid and lazy. The throttle response is diabolical. Even using the semi auto mode is hopeless. The A1 has an S-tronic semi auto gear box with flappy paddles. Its brilliant. I'm a convert. I will never buy another manual car. Ever.

Other essential stuff

Cruise control is fabulous.

Auto dimming rear vew mirror

front and rear screen clear (the audi is meh at this but the Ford system in the FreeLander is fantastic)

bluetooth connectivity (not just the phone but media streaming as well)

AV parking sensors

heated leather seats.

In terms of performance 0-60 just over 6 secs, about 30MPG,

only just noticed this , but 30MPG doens't seem a lot for what is a small'ish sized car ( in today's terms with 4x4's etc )

I'd have expected the focus to be closer to the 50 mpg even allowing for a performance type version

In terms of performance 0-60 just over 6 secs, about 30MPG,

only just noticed this , but 30MPG doens't seem a lot for what is a small'ish sized car ( in today's terms with 4x4's etc )

I'd have expected the focus to be closer to the 50 mpg even allowing for a performance type version

Tony that is not the 4x4 its the "boy toy". Dont forget its got 250 bhp top speed of 154, turbo etc. i could get better mpg on sensible driving runs i suppose

http://www.topgear.com/uk/ford/focus-st/spec/18788

Edited by drat01

6 weeks ago I would have defended the manual gearbox to the death. The gearbox in the Landy is shit beyond belief. Laggy, stupid and lazy. The throttle response is diabolical. Even using the semi auto mode is hopeless. The A1 has an S-tronic semi auto gear box with flappy paddles. Its brilliant. I'm a convert. I will never buy another manual car. Ever.

Other essential stuff

front and rear screen clear (the audi is meh at this but the Ford system in the FreeLander is fantastic)

AV parking sensors

heated leather seats.

I would still choose manual by preference over an automatic every time.

Other essential stuff

AV parking sensors

heated leather seats.

I've got a sort of auto that can be used as a clutchless manual. It drives in auto unless I start waggling the gearstick, in which case it acts like a manual. It also has normal, sports and comfy set up.

Rather telling, that I've defaulted to always auto on the middling standard setting.

Every now and again I drive my wife's manual car, just to laugh at what cars were like in the old days.

Other essential stuff

AV parking sensors

heated leather seats.

I've got a sort of auto that can be used as a clutchless manual. It drives in auto unless I start waggling the gearstick, in which case it acts like a manual. It also has normal, sports and comfy set up.

Rather telling, that I've defaulted to always auto on the middling standard setting.

Every now and again I drive my wife's manual car, just to laugh at what cars were like in the old days.

Automatic is for wimps ;)

Â