World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

In all honesty, I really wasn’t up for a World Cup in Russia, was expecting extreme fan violence, and an overall PR disaster. However, it really was a triumph, with many enjoyable games.

So you never know, Qatar could be a good one as well, however unlikely at this point. 

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

In all honesty, I really wasn’t up for a World Cup in Russia, was expecting extreme fan violence, and an overall PR disaster. However, it really was a triumph, with many enjoyable games.

So you never know, Qatar could be a good one as well, however unlikely at this point. 

I listened to the guardian football podcast, and more than anything it sounds like it could be a tremendously boring world cup. At least for a supporter in the country.

• Like 1

35 degree heat , with their air conditioners to cool the staduims . Nope. Not going to work . 

There again maybe Gareth isnt as stupid as he looks. Our mindnumbingly slow build up play will be suited to the weather . Its all a cunning plan 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

No amount of football brilliance justifies the amount of blood spilled for this tournament. **** Qatar, not watching a **** second of it.

Can’t be stressed enough. Give it 5-10 years and the Saudis will have it next. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Qatar is smaller than Yorkshire.

Which should on paper make it a really good tournament for travelling fans, they'll all be in 2 or 3 places really and you'd like to think with where it is the element of fans that you don't want there won't be there, even the beer stuff sounds OK for fans if they're setting up parks outside the stadium

If you base yourself in the centre of doha then the England games all the way to the final (!) they have 1 game vs the USA which is a 45 min drive / 2 hour train away, all the other games are within a 30 minute drive, there's never been a world cup like that before and there never will be again 

And all of it will be thrown in the bin because of what this world cup is and how exclusive it will be out there 

• Like 1

yeah maybe not...

i was bored so had a quick look, with englands group fixtures youd want to be there from the 20th to the 30th

flights are £900 which arent great but not that bad

cheapest hotel i could find for those 10 days was £12,500 😂 im guessing if you were doing this you'd have booked it 2 years ago but **** me that's ridiculous 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

The sad thing is, no matter how dull the tournament will be, it’s a success in spite of itself. It’s a rubicon football should have never crossed. A dark day in the sport. 

If Saudi Arabia doesn't get it in 2030 they will get the next one. Especially once FIFA make it a biannual thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Saudi Arabia won't have enough water to host it by 2030.

Guess we can "thank" the Houthi rebels and Iran for that. But I expect the Saudi to continue building desalination plants on their west coast hoping they'll not be blown up. East side being too close to Iran.

A WC might possibly be something that will make then end the war, although I can't see how it would work.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah maybe not...

i was bored so had a quick look, with englands group fixtures youd want to be there from the 20th to the 30th

flights are £900 which arent great but not that bad

cheapest hotel i could find for those 10 days was £12,500 😂 im guessing if you were doing this you'd have booked it 2 years ago but **** me that's ridiculous 

apparently the trick is to stay in Dubai, and the flights to Qatar run a few times a day (and are relatively cheap) so you only go for the games and get back right after. 

Still crazy expensive. 

Best world cup from a fan perspective would be Spain and Portugal.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Everything about Qatar is wrong for the World Cup - it's a smaller country than the Bahamas or the Falkland Islands, about half the size of Wales. It's smaller than Northern Ireland (and imagine if Northern Ireland were awarded the World Cup). They've had to spend $350bn dollars on infrastructure for a tournament that lasts a month. Giving up on your religion is punishable by death. Homosexuality, pre-marital sex and drinking alcohol are all serious crimes for which you can receive corporal punishment. Its largely immigrant workforce are expendable slaves. Women are advised against wearing leggings ffs. It's a big beach with some oil wells run by a mad mediaevil king.

But money.

6,500 stadium construction placed deaths has been regularly quoted. 

Most are from south asia hoping to earn good money for their families. Many then had to pay a massive fee (up to $2,000 dollars) to gain entry and most of their contract is spent paying this off, whilst staying in terrible accommodation.  It's almost slave labour.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

There’s a lot of racism in these Gulf states. Having been through airports like Bahrain and others, every person - from the Starbucks barista to the cleaners and wage staff were Southeast Asian or Indian. Just reeked of entitlement that they were above doing such work. 

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

There’s a lot of racism in these Gulf states. Having been through airports like Bahrain and others, every person - from the Starbucks barista to the cleaners and wage staff were Southeast Asian or Indian. Just reeked of entitlement that they were above doing such work. 

Most countries have immigrants working in lower paid jobs to be fair.

Go to an airport costa in England or to any given warehouse. 

Never been to middle east so I can't comment on their 'racism' situation, but countries like the emirates, Qatar etc have a need to build the economy on immigrants. Even at higher levels, they take engineers and bankers from abroad. They are still developing and lack skilled workforce in numerous professions. 

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

To be fair, if you are a Saudi or qatari national you are never going to have to work in a Starbucks or a bar. You will be guaranteed a high paying, tax free job in some company. Even if you are a student you won't need to work part time. They are too rich to work in service industry jobs. 

Edited by villa89

46 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That's not racism.

• Like 1

Â