"Cool Britannia"

maqroll

You should see Coventry mate.  I have it on good authority (my great aunt, who used to live there before WW2) that it was one of the most beautiful medieval cities in the country.  When it came time to rebuild all they could afford were grey concrete squares. :(

Not in the country, but in Europe.

And its also said that Hitler destroyed only a tiny part of the medieval city compared to what post war councils did in the name of progress.

Apart from that Coventry (and most of the West Midlands) problem is that it went from being a rich progressive part of the country to economic decline where civic pride seem to go out the window...

• 1 year later...

20 years since the Blur v Oasis chart battle (well, just a week or two over 20 years)

I remember it clearly, where does time go?

On a wider note, what has happened to the British music industry since the days of Cool Britannia? It may be rose tinted spectacles but mid 90's was the last great era of music for me

• Like 1

20 years since the Blur v Oasis chart battle (well, just a week or two over 20 years)

On a wider note, what has happened to the British music industry since the days of Cool Britannia? It may be rose tinted spectacles but mid 90's was the last great era of music for me

Yeah the mid 90s were incredible... Mansun, Sleeper, Blur, Suede, Menswear.... so many bands I used to listen to! I was just turning into a teenager and those years were the best :)

It's strange, we thought it was the blossoming of all that was good about British music and culture. It wasn't, it was our own dreams being marketed back to us by cynical people with cynical ideas. The music, the politicians, the TV, everything. it's when we stopped believing in things; the early 90's were still a time when young people had principles and energy and movements, things that belonged to them - now they just have shiny toys and it's all our fault.

Bah humbug.

• Like 1

I'm going to sound like the type of person I hated when I was a teen, but I don't get this world and the young people in it. The teenage world is not the world I remember... I was just talking yesterday about playing football with my mates along the road in our quiet street, or going to the local common and climbing the trees before throwing ropes to each other to create a little tree house... now all kids want to do is watch these prats on Youtube, play games on their phone, take selfies and talk in another language.

TYPE IN FULL ENGLISH PLEASE!!!!!

God... I am old :(

• Like 3

The worst thing was killing off Top Of The Pops, as that's where guitar bands used to get equal billing as all the pop shite and kids would get their first taste of proper music. I know that's how I got into the indie bands when I was 10 or 11, then I'd ask my brother if I could listen to his albums, then I'd listen to the bands that influenced them etc. Life goes on though.

the early 90's were still a time when young people had principles and energy and movements, things that belonged to them - now they just have shiny toys and it's all our fault.

i disagree, but the nature of the internets means people can shut themselves off with others with similar views on life. There are plenty of principled young people out there, and plenty of youth 'movements', but too much of it exists in the weird space that is 'online'.

One of the biggest changes has been the Internet, which massively reduced the cost of music and also hugely increased its availability. I can remember going to HMV at some point in the late 1990's and paying £21.99 for an album 'on import'. Another world. The knock-on effect of more availability at a lower cost was that people explored more musical avenues, often outside the pop culture mainstream, and the abundance of information about bands online led to the failure, one-by-one, of most of the popular music magazines. Since these were the main drivers of 'narratives' (such as Oasis diss Blur, Blur slag off Oasis, whose side are you on?) those arguments disappeared for the most part (or went online, where they weren't monetised and hence disappeared from mainstream consciousness). 

I can't really comment on the whole wider British music industry, but it seems to me that if you're favoured sound is three men with guitars and one man on drums, then this probably is a poor era in music, but most people seem to find things to listen to. It's a better time for people with eclectic tastes. 

• Like 1

Yeah the mid 90s were incredible... Mansun, Sleeper, Blur, Suede, Menswear.... so many bands I used to listen to! I was just turning into a teenager and those years were the best :)

Ocean Colour Scene, Ash, Bluetones, Cast, Pulp, Elastica, Shed Seven, Supergrass, Kula Shaker, Space, Echobelly, The Verve, etc

Great time for music! 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the music at the time, but a lot of it really doesn't hold up all that well. There was an awful lot of terrible music produced in the mid 90's, that piggybacked on the better stuff. The older I've gotten, and the more eclectic my tastes have become, the more I could happily never listen to Parklife, What's The Story, Mosley Shoals, Urban Hymns etc ever again. I've got a lot of mates who have never moved on form that period. They'll only listen to mid 90's Britpop, and long for Oasis to get back together. I just find it all so terribly dull now, and having listened  to the music that inspired it, find it derivative, The big sign for me is that there are so many 90's nights on now, full of 30 to 40 somethings, still dressed like they're in a bad Jam tribute band, and strutting around like Liam Gallagher. It reminds me of when I used to go to 70s nights when I was a kid, and snigger at the old folks (yeah I was probably a bit of a word removed then). 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 3

I enjoyed the music at the time, but a lot of it really doesn't hold up all that well. There was an awful lot of terrible music produced in the mid 90's, that piggybacked on the better stuff. The older I've gotten, and the more eclectic my tastes have become, the more I could happily never listen to Parklife, What's The Story, Mosley Shoals, Urban Hymns etc ever again. I've got a lot of mates who have never moved on form that period. They'll only listen to mid 90's Britpop, and long for Oasis to get back together. I just find it all so terribly dull now, and having listened to the music that inspired it, find it derivative, The big sign for me is that there are so many 90's nights on now, full of 30 to 40 somethings, still dressed like they're in a bad Jam tribute band, and strutting around like Liam Gallagher. It reminds me of when I used to go to 70s nights when I was a kid, and snigger at the old folks (yeah I was probably a bit of a word removed then).

Totes agree babez.

• Like 1

Ocean Colour Scene, Ash, Bluetones, Cast, Pulp, Elastica, Shed Seven, Supergrass, Kula Shaker, Space, Echobelly, The Verve, etc

Great time for music!

Those were the days :)

Music? 1965 to 1975 was the golden era of my teens and early 20s.

1975 to 1995 was mostly unmitigated shite.

1995 to 2015 has been a considerable improvement.

Pretty much all of my favourite albums were recorded between 75>95 :)

Word Gets Around by the Stereophonics.

Never be another album like it.

Apart from what ever shit they followed it up with... Sorry I know I upset at least one person here. Stereophonics are at least in the running for the worst band ever though. 

• Like 2

Â