"Cool Britannia"

maqroll

The 60's and 70's made every city in Britain very 'uncool' with its woeful architecture.

To be fair, the Luftwaffe kinda helped on that front too.

• Like 1

The 60's and 70's made every city in Britain very 'uncool' with its woeful architecture.

Not as much as you'd think. As discussed in the Architecture thread, most of the damage was done by misguided Brits.

Best not mention how much the RAF helped the Germans overhaul THEIR architecture. :)

We didn't have any money, what with still paying for two world wars and everything.   The buildings are fugly and the ones which are still standing should be nuked from orbit but I think a bit of context as to how brutalism came about needs to be implemented. 

They could've rebuilt it with a bit of class though.

You're going to love Didcot ;)

• Like 1

You should see Coventry mate.  I have it on good authority (my great aunt, who used to live there before WW2) that it was one of the most beautiful medieval cities in the country.  When it came time to rebuild all they could afford were grey concrete squares. :(

You should see Coventry mate.  I have it on good authority (my great aunt, who used to live there before WW2) that it was one of the most beautiful medieval cities in the country.  When it came time to rebuild all they could afford were grey concrete squares. :(

Probably like Dresden, but that was the Yanks work.

They could've rebuilt it with a bit of class though.

You're going to love Didcot ;)

I've seen it.  I'm on a new estate with quick access to the A34 and rail station, so I need never go into town.

Not exclusively -  the RAF contributed equally. Five days (8th AF) and four nights (Bomber Command) of nonstop pasting.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Not exclusively -  the RAF contributed equally. Five days (8th AF) and four nights (Bomber Command) of nonstop pasting.

I always had it as we destroyed Hamburg and America did Dresden and always sought solace in the fact that Hamburg was an industrial centre and Dresden was a beautiful culture spot, so America were nastier than we were :P

I always had it as we destroyed Hamburg and America did Dresden and always sought solace in the fact that Hamburg was an industrial centre and Dresden was a beautiful culture spot, so America were nastier than we were :P

Nah, we got involved with Dresden too. We started the whole thing off under the premise that we were disrupting supplies that were bound for Germany's eastern front with the Red Army. It also served the purpose of confusing the refugees that were travelling in the opposite direction.

Anyway, back to the 90s.

That was my childhood decade and I have some pretty fond memories of it. It hasn't aged at all well though. Even I, someone who formerly used to love Blur & Oasis, think they're a bit crap now.

Did Churchill sacrifice Coventry so the Germans wouldn't know we had their intel. Don't know if this is a rumour or if it's been proven.

Did Churchill sacrifice Coventry so the Germans wouldn't know we had their intel. Don't know if this is a rumour or if it's been proven.

According to Wikipedia:

Ultra revealed that a major German air raid was planned for the night of 14 November 1940, and indicated three possible targets, including London and Coventry. However, the specific target was not determined until late on the afternoon of 14 November, by detection of the German radio guidance signals. Unfortunately, countermeasures failed to prevent the devastating Coventry Blitz. F. W. Winterbotham claimed that Churchill had advance warning, but intentionally did nothing about the raid, to safeguard Ultra.[37] This claim has been comprehensively refuted by R V Jones,[38] Sir David Hunt,[39] Ralph Bennett[40] and Peter Calvocoressi.[41] Ultra warned of a raid but did not reveal the specific target. Churchill, who had been en route to Ditchley Park, was told that London might be bombed, and returned to 10 Downing Street so that he could observe the raid from the Air Ministry roof.

There was however a case in in 1944 where a planned massive Bomber Command raid on Nuremburg was effectively leaked to the Germans in order to conceal our knowledge of their intel. Huge RAF losses ensued.

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia:

Ultra revealed that a major German air raid was planned for the night of 14 November 1940, and indicated three possible targets, including London and Coventry. However, the specific target was not determined until late on the afternoon of 14 November, by detection of the German radio guidance signals. Unfortunately, countermeasures failed to prevent the devastating Coventry Blitz. F. W. Winterbotham claimed that Churchill had advance warning, but intentionally did nothing about the raid, to safeguard Ultra.[37] This claim has been comprehensively refuted by R V Jones,[38] Sir David Hunt,[39] Ralph Bennett[40] and Peter Calvocoressi.[41] Ultra warned of a raid but did not reveal the specific target. Churchill, who had been en route to Ditchley Park, was told that London might be bombed, and returned to 10 Downing Street so that he could observe the raid from the Air Ministry roof.

There was however a case in in 1944 where a planned massive Bomber Command raid on Nuremburg was effectively leaked to the Germans in order to conceal our knowledge of their intel. Huge RAF losses ensued.

It's crazy all the bluffing and countermeasures that went on and how cheap life had become.

Watching QI last night and they said the RAF used to bomb German mail trains. Planes would later fly over the wreckage and drop parcels of German 'post' which would deliver Allied propaganda to German civilian addresses. Operation Cornflakes.

Futsches-Reich-Briefmarke-UK.jpg

It's this sort of thing that finally put the younger me off the idea of ever wanting to be a war hero (or, indeed "serve" in any theatre of war at all). One thing to try and be brave and risk your life, another thing to be made a sacrifice of. The Canadians at Dieppe are another example - a little invasion experiment conducted with people's lives, no follow-up plan in case they somehow succeeded.

The trouble with going to war is that someone else is making the decisions as to how and where, and someone else again is making the decisions as to what exactly you're fighting for.

• Like 2

Â