Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I keep trying because it could be a very good feature. Some of the stuff it gives me is fine, all I'm saying is if it wasn't so sensitive it would be brilliant because everything it would give me would be stuff I'm genuinely interested in as opposed to something I clicked on once.

I could follow stuff on G+, but that would require me to use G+.

• 2 weeks later...

So. I retired my Moto G, as it was limited to 8 Gb (no SD card slot). Bought a Sony Xperia M4 Aqua, bunged in  64 Gb card, job's a good 'un. 

Only thing is, unlike my old phone, it INSISTS on giving me popup notifications, with a sound, when someone makes a comment in Facebook. I've turned off every possible notification in both Facebook itself, and phone settings, but still it does it. Anybody else come across this? 

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So. I retired my Moto G, as it was limited to 8 Gb (no SD card slot). Bought a Sony Xperia M4 Aqua, bunged in  64 Gb card, job's a good 'un. 

Only thing is, unlike my old phone, it INSISTS on giving me popup notifications, with a sound, when someone makes a comment in Facebook. I've turned off every possible notification in both Facebook itself, and phone settings, but still it does it. Anybody else come across this? 

Well, there's the obvious solution. Which would also help your battery life :)

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, limpid said:

Well, there's the obvious solution. Which would also help your battery life :)

I'm sure that's meant to be an amusing response, but I don't know what it means. 

Uninstall Facebook

http://www.androidcentral.com/it-turns-out-uninstalling-facebook-android-pretty-great

Recently I noticed some performance issues on multiple phones, and had started paying closer attention to what exactly was causing these problems. When Facebook turned out to be one of the more egregious resource hogs, I uninstalled it to see how things improved.

Not only did my performance issues go away entirely, but I discovered I didn't actually lose any of the Facebook features I cared about by uninstalling the app.

It turns out Facebook's mobile browser implementation is fairly well put together. The UI is quite similar to the app, and Chrome for Android is fast enough that things like scrolling performance and load times for photos wasn't all that different either. There are no autoplaying videos as I scroll, which is awesome, and I still had the ability to switch accounts when I wanted to check in on the Android Central Facebook page. Opening links pops open a new Chrome tab by default instead of trying to load Facebook's "lightweight" WebView client. I still had the Facebook Messenger app installed, so getting messages from friends and family who only used Facebook was still happening.

Oh, right. And I was actually getting notifications through Chrome.

When you log in to Facebook on Chrome for Android, you get a little pop-up asking if you want Chrome to allow Facebook to pass notifications to you even when you don't have Chrome open. If you enable this option, your Facebook notifications show up in your notification tab as Chrome notifications. Tap the notification, and Chrome loads Facebook in a new tab for you and you're taken straight to your notifications on Facebook just like you would if the app were installed on your phone.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

OK, thanks. 

Alternatively, open up your app tray.

Long press on Facebook and you should get two options at the top "App Info" and "uninstall".

Drag Facebook to "App Info" and it should open up a screen of information. If you tap on the "notifications" bit it will open some options. One of those is "block all".

If you turn that on it should block all your facebook notifications. The app still works, but you get no notifications.

• Like 2

I have a couple of android related queries.

Firstly, it's time for me to upgrade. My current phone is a Nexus 5. I'm almost settled on a One Plus Two, but anyone know of any good deals or phones in that sort of price range? I'm talking not necessarily top specs, but good specs in that sort of fairly cheap range. Sub £300 area so I can buy it outright and carry on with Giff Gaff.
I do like the look of the XPeria Z5 but it's a bit out of my price range.

Secondly, my dad is after a new phone. I offered him my Nexus 5 when I get my new one but he's not interested. He's getting on a bit and struggles with the small "buttons" on phones like mine. He wants a phone with big buttons! Does anyone know of any decent Android phones made for that sort of requirement?

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Secondly, my dad is after a new phone. I offered him my Nexus 5 when I get my new one but he's not interested. He's getting on a bit and struggles with the small "buttons" on phones like mine. He wants a phone with big buttons! Does anyone know of any decent Android phones made for that sort of requirement?

Doesn't Samsung have that Easy mode thing built in making everything big? I remember stumbling over it once but never tested it outright.

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Alternatively, open up your app tray.

Long press on Facebook and you should get two options at the top "App Info" and "uninstall".

Drag Facebook to "App Info" and it should open up a screen of information. If you tap on the "notifications" bit it will open some options. One of those is "block all".

If you turn that on it should block all your facebook notifications. The app still works, but you get no notifications.

Yeah, that seems to work, thanks.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 14:30, Tegis said:

Doesn't Samsung have that Easy mode thing built in making everything big? I remember stumbling over it once but never tested it outright.

Yeah they do, but my dad struggles with touchscreens. He has a Nexus 10 and he can't really use it without a stylus as his fingers don't work properly on it (he blames chemotherapy but not sure there's any science behind that!)

So he's really after a phone with physical buttons. I offered him my Nexus 5 already but he didn't want it.

Thanks for replying though, mate. I'll keep hunting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah they do, but my dad struggles with touchscreens. He has a Nexus 10 and he can't really use it without a stylus as his fingers don't work properly on it (he blames chemotherapy but not sure there's any science behind that!)

So he's really after a phone with physical buttons. I offered him my Nexus 5 already but he didn't want it.

Thanks for replying though, mate. I'll keep hunting.

The only Android ones I could find with buttons was:

LG Wine Smart H410 and the BlackBerry Priv

The LG might be an option, The Blackberry buttons are crazy small

3307126.jpg

• Like 1

Not being able to swipe straight from the furthest right or left window 'back around' to the other i.e. you hit a wall on each side, although I believe that's a lollipop/TouchWiz thing.  Also the removal of the 'direct dial' widget is a small yet infuriatingly big functionality change.  Again not an S6 thing per se.  Just a difference in useability from S4 to S6 OS.  The camera at the back, probably owing to its higher quality (focus?), doesn't sit flush with the phone, so it won't rest evenly on its back.  Other than that, nice phone.  Not a huge difference from my S4 at all actually.  It's no doubt quick but then my S4 was no slouch.

Â