Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Feel like turning it off. Never seen one so fast. 

I remember Elliot Daly getting a red after around 10 minutes against Argentina in a game we went on to win.

Thats not happening today though - no chance!

England were never going to win. They look so, so poor but it’s a bit gutting to settle down anticipating an 80 minute contest and it be over after 80 seconds. 

This ref was always going to do something silly early on. Was reading earlier he is known for being card happy. They should have been prepped for this especially with him being French and that being a possible dicider next week.

4 minutes ago, JB said:

England were never going to win. They look so, so poor but it’s a bit gutting to settle down anticipating an 80 minute contest and it be over after 80 seconds. 

England always have a chance of winning any game and today should’ve been a decent game 15 on 15. 

I disagree we look poor. We’ve played within ourselves recently but we can compete against anyone. 

Edited by theboyangel

6 minutes ago, JB said:

I'd purposefully starved myself all day so that I could eat bad food and drink lots of beer whilst watching the game. Wish I hadn't bothered. 

It was a bad tackle but feel a yellow was the right outcome (I'm biased I know). He tried to wrap and there was no malice. 

9 minutes ago, lammy123 said:

This ref was always going to do something silly early on. Was reading earlier he is known for being card happy. They should have been prepped for this especially with him being French and that being a possible dicider next week.

So him sending off an English player helps France how?

21 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

England always have a chance of winning any game and today should’ve been a decent game 15 on 15. 

I disagree we look poor. We’ve played within ourselves recently but we can compete against anyone. 

I don’t think we’ve played within ourselves. I think we’ve got some good players who’ll put in a shift but we’re poorly coached and have been a grim watch this 6N. Even if we had, that’s pretty damning, isn’t it?

Of course we can compete - that goes without saying (I was being slightly hyperbolic when I said we were never going to win) - but Ireland are a much better team and we were already distant second favourites. Wales should’ve beaten us last game.

You can tell that we’ve got union-novice rugby league coaches. Our attack in particular looks like a poor rugby league team and not suited to a Tuilagi-less side.

Giving it a decent go today, though so I’m glad I didn’t switch it off 😊.  

Fair play, some immense performances in the forwards. Genge didn’t have a hope against Furlong, apparently! Adversity has fired us up and we’ve made this into a real contest.

Enjoying this. 

Couple of replays and I’m yet to see a clear offside on that intercept. Not much being made of it, though so may have missed something. 

EDIT: Ah was playing advantage, apparently. 

Edited by JB
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Erm....credit to Ireland, anyone ?🤔

Not really - it should’ve been a walk in the park following the red card but they were rocked backward by England’s efforts after their first try and only made the score line flattering in the last 10 minutes when England unsurprisingly tired. 

They’re a great team no doubt but couldn’t handle the intensity and desire by England for most of the game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Ah well, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree then.

Don’t get me wrong Ireland are currently a phenomenal team and great to watch but they were seriously tested by 14 men and struggled in the scrum (with a winger as a makeshift flanker) and were pushed defensively despite having a man advantage all game. 

it wasn’t as if England held on defensively for 80 minutes against a Green onslaught. England gave them serious concerns. 

The game should have been put to bed in the first half. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Ah well, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree then.

Come on man, you had a man advantage for effectively the whole game, and it was an embarrassingly close contest

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Haha I’d have thought that goes without saying? Nobody has posted anything to the contrary and I posted earlier that Ireland are a better side. 

A group of (mainly) England rugby fans are obviously going to focus on England, especially given the circumstances of the game.

I don’t often feel the need to credit the opposition when Villa lose tbh. 

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

100%. Delighted. Brilliant performance. 

I mean, I didn’t see the game but they beat England so I’m pleased. 

As a Scot, we always support our Celtic cousins. ;)

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, JB said:

A group of (mainly) England rugby fans are obviously going to focus on England, especially given the circumstances of the game.

I don’t often feel the need to credit the opposition when Villa lose tbh. 

I understand that. I don't know....perhaps as I get older I get less one eyed. For example I felt France were by far the best team in Paris even though the end result was closer scorewise.

It might be a default setting to moan at our team's performance when it might actually just be that the opposition stifled villa and stopped us playing ?

Anyway,  goodnight all, I'm up at 5am for work tomorrow 🙃

Â