Manchester United

BOF

30 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Mason Mount on 300k a week lol. 

Honestly the guy has lived a very charmed life. 

Last couple of season have been pretty much “how is someone that shit holding down a place in the England squad?”

Then United come along with £60m and a £300k/w contract :lol: 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Who else would pay him that sort of money? If he left he’d have a career like Danny Wellbeck and Jesse Lingard.

PSG would've been interested I think.

He had a pretty good season last year but the trick is to churn out those numbers for 4/5 years like the very elite do.

Man. United already let De Gea go and trying to unload Maguire and Martial so their wage bill will probably remain pretty stable.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Who else would pay him that sort of money? If he left he’d have a career like Danny Wellbeck and Jesse Lingard.

He’s been overrated in the past, but he is still a good player. Miles better than those two put together. (I presume you were talking about Rashford)

Edited by mikeyp102

1 hour ago, Genie said:

People are piling in on Mount already after 2 average-to-poor cameo pre-season appearances for United.

The next Pogba. 

Except he's clearly and obviously not.

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Except he's clearly and obviously not.

Time will tell. 

He’s not French, but he could be the latest over-paid, uninspiring Man United midfielder who doesn’t really offer anything in defence or attack. 

The difference with Pogba is that at the time he was on top form when he joined.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Time will tell. 

He’s not French, but he could be the latest over-paid, uninspiring Man United midfielder who doesn’t really offer anything in defence or attack. 

The difference with Pogba is that at the time he was on top form when he joined.

I don't think you'd ever be able to label Mount as lazy

You can claim he's overrated or that he's simply not good enough for where they want to be, that he has patchy form, that he's a jack of all trades rather than ever properly nailing down a position but never that he's wasting his talents because he can't be arsed, his problem is more the level of his talents

I'd have hated pogba if he played for us

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

I don't think you'd ever be able to label Mount as lazy

You can claim he's overrated or that he's simply not good enough for where they want to be, that he has patchy form, that he's a jack of all trades rather than ever properly nailing down a position but never that he's wasting his talents because he can't be arsed, his problem is more the level of his talents

I'd have hated pogba if he played for us

I wasn’t suggesting Mount is lazy. Just I think it’s very likely he’ll fail to get to the level a club like United expects, especially for the fees involved.

It’s a mixed bag of signings from ETH

Martinez and Casemiro look like good bits of business. Then Weghorst was plain bizarre. Mount on a cheap deal would have been worth a punt, but they’ve certainly been mugged off on the fee and the wages and I just don’t see him holding down a place as crucial player in that squad.

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wasn’t suggesting Mount is lazy. Just I think it’s very likely he’ll fail to get to the level a club like United expects, especially for the fees involved.

It’s a mixed bag of signings from ETH

Martinez and Casemiro look like good bits of business. Then Weghorst was plain bizarre. Mount on a cheap deal would have been worth a punt, but they’ve certainly been mugged off on the fee and the wages and I just don’t see him holding down a place as crucial player in that squad.

no, just saying that for me if anyone mentioned him in the same sentence as pogba as a criticism then i wouldn't agree

i would criticise both players but for completely different reasons so i don't think they're comparable

mount is like mctominay, will try his hardest every week but ultimately fall short because he's just not at that level that utd want to be, im sure mctominay has some sort of hutton-esque cult following up there because of the effort he puts in, maybe mount will end up the same, who knows, agree that he wont spend the 5 years or whatever it is of his deal as a key player, within the next 2-3 years utd need to replace fred, eriksen (who you can argue already has been with mount) mctominay, casemiro is 31, van der beek is never happening, even thought they've bought mount they need a new midfield so you can ask what the point of signing mount is

3 hours ago, Genie said:

People are piling in on Mount already after 2 average-to-poor cameo pre-season appearances for United.

The next Pogba. 

Where's he been playing for them? Guessing as an 8 but think Eriksen is the better technician even if his legs have gone a bit now against high pressing midfields.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im sure mctominay has some sort of hutton-esque cult following up there because of the effort he puts in, maybe mount will end up the same, who knows,

It’s because he came through the academy. If they bought him for £60m, and paid him £15m a year they wouldn’t accept him in the same way.

9 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Onana is a good signing but his play style might lead to a few mistakes..

Ten Hagg teams aren’t exactly know for playing out of the back either, it’s more quick transition football.

Seems to be the minority opinion but I think Mount will be absolutely fantastic for United. He suffered a crisis of identity at Chelsea but he was certainly not the only one. Take your pick. Havertz and Pulisic being 2 others. But anyway, the way ETH plays, Mount is tailor-made for them. I expect people will do complete 180s on this by the end of the season and will be saying things more along the lines of 'wow, who knew', 'never saw that coming', 'couldn't do that at Chelsea' etc. Get the humble pie ready. Mine is too btw, just in case it's me that's wrong :) 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Ten Hagg teams aren’t exactly know for playing out of the back either, it’s more quick transition football.

I think he tried having de Gea playing out but it led to some costly mistakes so abandoned it until he could get a new keeper

Edited by villan95

Jesus, 80,000+ seat stadium sold out today in New Jersey for Man U and Arsenal. That's a lot of enthusiasm for PL football. Is it pent-up demand or sustainable? Makes me wonder if owners have ever thought of relocating clubs internationally or having two separate homes.

On 21/07/2023 at 11:31, BOF said:

Seems to be the minority opinion but I think Mount will be absolutely fantastic for United. He suffered a crisis of identity at Chelsea but he was certainly not the only one. Take your pick. Havertz and Pulisic being 2 others. But anyway, the way ETH plays, Mount is tailor-made for them. I expect people will do complete 180s on this by the end of the season and will be saying things more along the lines of 'wow, who knew', 'never saw that coming', 'couldn't do that at Chelsea' etc. Get the humble pie ready. Mine is too btw, just in case it's me that's wrong :) 

FWIW, I agree. The cost etc, whatever, but I think he’s almost exactly what Man Utd needed. 

Â