Manchester United

BOF

With Van Gaal's preference to mould youth I think we may be seeing some of Ben Pearson and Joe Rothwell this season in the midfield. Ben is a energetic and feisty little lad and loves scrapping it out. The past year he played a more disciplined sitting role focusing on covering the back four but in 2012/13 for the U18s he had more freedom and showed great ability on the ball and an eye for a pass winning academy play of the year. Joe missed most of the 12/13 season with illness and injury but he had probably a better 13/14 season than Ben Pearson. A box-to-box player with a great burst of pace allowing him to make darting runs through the middle. 

Here is a video of Pearson putting in a great display against a midfield of Moussa Dembele and Bentaleb. (Check the uploader for more videos of United's youth players)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuYxBsjNGL8

• Like 1

Anyone else sick of the van Gaal wankfest already? Bbc ran a headline saying he took his first training session. Pathetic.

He isn't that good. Yes he will do better than Moyes, but he has already got it better than Moyes did. Firstly they are spending a lot of money early doors which they didn't for Moyes, secondly the press are all supportive of van Gaal not questioning his appointment.

I'm sure he will beg to differ. Won the league in the Netherlands, Spain & Germany. Three Champions League finals (one win), UEFA cup, domestic cups aplenty and he was just a penalty shootout away from making the World Cup final. I'd consider that to be a good managerial record.

Yes he good but they are all making out he is the best ever all because he has now taken over utd.

Van Gaal is a fantastic manager with a record that speaks for itself. I appreciate you don't like Manchester United, who here does? But that isn't reason enough to say he's overrated. :rolleyes:

Anyone else sick of the van Gaal wankfest already? Bbc ran a headline saying he took his first training session. Pathetic.

He isn't that good. Yes he will do better than Moyes, but he has already got it better than Moyes did. Firstly they are spending a lot of money early doors which they didn't for Moyes, secondly the press are all supportive of van Gaal not questioning his appointment.

I'm sure he will beg to differ. Won the league in the Netherlands, Spain & Germany. Three Champions League finals (one win), UEFA cup, domestic cups aplenty and he was just a penalty shootout away from making the World Cup final. I'd consider that to be a good managerial record.
Yes he good but they are all making out he is the best ever all because he has now taken over utd.

Van Gaal is a fantastic manager with a record that speaks for itself. I appreciate you don't like Manchester United, who here does? But that isn't reason enough to say he's overrated. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with man utd. I think they have been very good concerning him (signing expensive players differing from what they did with Moyes).

He has done well at clubs but has also done poorly. His first spell in charge of holland he had a poor record. As he did in his second spell at barca. Also his later time at bayern he struggled and they finished third.

During the World Cup holland did better than expected, but I thought a lot of the time his tactics were very negative and could only use the pace of robben to counter teams. Against the likes of Mexico and maybe even Argentina (although I appreciate it gives messi more room) he could and maybe should have altered the team to attack more.

Squawka on 20-year-old Nick Powell.

Powell was impressive in his attacking midfield role with a Wigan side that were unfortunate to suffer defeat in the play-offs as they went down against QPR, as he scored seven goals for the Latics in 31 games for the club.

This may have come with a conversion rate of 9.7%, but with no Wigan player managing to score more last season, it made him one of their most potent attackers and one of the key catalysts in Wigan’s revival from the disastrous start suffered under Owen Coyle to record a top six finish.

Powell also created 35 chances to assist two goals and did his fair share of tracking back as well to win 41 tackles, a trait far too often ignored in midfielders with more of a duty to join the attack than put in the hard yards when on the defensive.

Just a thought: would he cost too much for Villa to sign if Man Utd did sell? I know we already have Gary Gardner but we could always do with another. Would be a shame for Leicester to get him then sell him on for treble his price tag in 4 years time.

Leicester City are keen on bringing him on board for their return to the Premier League this season after he impressed during his time with Wigan Athletic in the Championship last season, and reports have suggested Van Gaal is willing to move him on should he wish to go.

http://www.squawka.com/news/why-van-gaal-should-look-to-keep-hold-of-nick-powell-this-summer/143689

It has nothing to do with man utd. I think they have been very good concerning him (signing expensive players differing from what they did with Moyes).

He has done well at clubs but has also done poorly. His first spell in charge of holland he had a poor record. As he did in his second spell at barca. Also his later time at bayern he struggled and they finished third.

During the World Cup holland did better than expected, but I thought a lot of the time his tactics were very negative and could only use the pace of robben to counter teams. Against the likes of Mexico and maybe even Argentina (although I appreciate it gives messi more room) he could and maybe should have altered the team to attack more.

A big part of the Man United job is being able to handle the pressure, scrutiny, expectations, demands, etc. Moyes cracked under the strain. Van Gaal will not; he's been tried and tested before at the highest levels and had success. It's a smart appointment by them after the calamity of last season. 

• Like 1

With Van Gaal's preference to mould youth I think we may be seeing some of Ben Pearson and Joe Rothwell this season in the midfield. Ben is a energetic and feisty little lad and loves scrapping it out. The past year he played a more disciplined sitting role focusing on covering the back four but in 2012/13 for the U18s he had more freedom and showed great ability on the ball and an eye for a pass winning academy play of the year. Joe missed most of the 12/13 season with illness and injury but he had probably a better 13/14 season than Ben Pearson. A box-to-box player with a great burst of pace allowing him to make darting runs through the middle.

Here is a video of Pearson putting in a great display against a midfield of Moussa Dembele and Bentaleb. (Check the uploader for more videos of United's youth players)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuYxBsjNGL8

Cracking player by the looks of it

Well apparently Hummels is going to sign for them if the reports are true. Probably one of the best center backs currently playing would be coming to Manchester. Plus apparently Vidal listen his home up for sale so something might be happening there? I assumed Vidal would be sold after Juve's manager quit.

I keep seeing them linked with so many players but who have they signed other than Shaw for a ridiculous fee?

Well apparently Hummels is going to sign for them if the reports are true. Probably one of the best center backs currently playing would be coming to Manchester. Plus apparently Vidal listen his home up for sale so something might be happening there? I assumed Vidal would be sold after Juve's manager quit.

I keep seeing them linked with so many players but who have they signed other than Shaw for a ridiculous fee?

Ander Herrera

Any manager that lets a Villa Centre Half take the first penalty in a world cup semi final shoot out is really not that much of a tactical genius.   I think they will finish 5th.

• Like 1

Read an article the other day about Van Gaal playing career and they said he was an average player except his greatest ever performance came in a Uefa Cup win over you guessed it Aston VIlla

How much are they getting Hummels for?

£15.6m according to the rags 

klopp-laughing-2.gif

the only thing better than that story is the number of utd fans commenting on it (on SSN anyway) saying add another couple of million and we'll get him

Â