Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

The amount of people who watch and play football ona regular basis who still think goalkeepers can pick it up if a teammate passes to him with a throw in.

That hasn't been allowed for at least 15 years.

The amount of people who watch and play football ona regular basis who still think goalkeepers can pick it up if a teammate passes to him with a throw in.

My defence know not to ever, under any circumstances pass the ball to my feet. I made sure this rule was drilled into them during our first pre-match game of keepy-ups when I re-enacted the Peter Kay John Smith's ad.

All Villa fans really should know this rule...

That was probably the first thing I ever learned in school.

"PASSBACK!"

My defence know not to ever, under any circumstances pass the ball to my feet. I made sure this rule was drilled into them during our first pre-match game of keepy-ups when I re-enacted the Peter Kay John Smith's ad.

Haha :)

I'm fine with them passing it to me, from throw ins too.

But the amount of times they do it, I clear it and someone says "You could have picked that up" is so annoying.

And twice already this season, the opposition have had a free kick against them because their keeper's picked up a throw in! (I realise this is an anomaly, but still)

All Villa fans really should know this rule...

:lol:

This was also my first thought.

Not everyone (and I include a PL ref in this) knows that you can't use a trick (i.e. flick it up) to get the ball from the ground to your head in order to head it back to the goalkeeper. I remember shouting "passback" in a pub and being told "nah, he headed it back". Fools. FOOLS!!

:D

I've considered letting the ball go into the net form a throw before, as we all know that a goal can't be scored direct from a throw in.

But I wouldn't trust the refs in our league to know that rule.

I once gave away a free kick because I made a save (parried) and then wasted time by leaving the ball at my feet until an attacker pressured me and so I picked it up. Apparently you can't do that :?

Not everyone (and I include a PL ref in this) knows that you can't use a trick (i.e. flick it up) to get the ball from the ground to your head in order to head it back to the goalkeeper. I remember shouting "passback" in a pub and being told "nah, he headed it back". Fools. FOOLS!!

I must admit I didn't know that either.

I've a list as long as my arm of 'dumb shit my teammates have said' and I've only been with them since the start of this season. My favourite one thus far was in the opening game, we had just put a 6th goal past a newly promoted team so their striker decided (from kick-off) to go on a solo run. He beat 4 of our players (all of whom had switched into "**** it, we've won this" mentality and couldn't be arsed to close him down), was allowed to bear down on goal and drilled a pearl of a shot past my near-post from a slight angle. The first thing I heard when getting up to pick the ball out of the net was the irate voice of one of our midfielders who got skinned; "Gareth, what are you doing getting beaten at your near post?!".

**** outfield players. :drowsy:

I once gave away a free kick because I made a save (parried) and then wasted time by leaving the ball at my feet until an attacker pressured me and so I picked it up. Apparently you can't do that :?
That's got to have been a bollocks call, surely? I can understand if you'd caught the ball, dropped it, then picked it back up again but a parry surely doesn't count as "holding the ball"? Not that I trust refs with half the calls they give at our level.

Ah I hate that. I don't get it any more with my current team. I've earned their respect I think, so if I do make a mistake, it's put down as a one off.

But I used to play for a team where everything was my fault, according to the players. 40 yard screamer, my fault. One on one, my fault. POint blank header, my fault.

I really hated that, it really piles on the pressure when you know whatever you do, you'll get blamed for it.

I also dislike when a striker complains that you didn't quite kick the ball straight to him from a goal kick.

"I'm kicking it 70 yards for **** sake! Sorry for not landing it on a sixpence!"

but my absolute favourite was last season, we played a team that won eevry header in midfield. So everytime I took a goal kick, the ball came straight back. One of our defenders got annoyed and said "Ben, at least give them a target!"

I still don't know what he meant.

That's got to have been a bollocks call, surely? I can understand if you'd caught the ball, dropped it, then picked it back up again but a parry surely doesn't count as "holding the ball"? Not that I trust refs with half the calls they give at our level.

Yeah it was bollocks, that's my point.

I'd done it twice already as we were into the last 5 minutes, 1-0 up and under pressure, so i was (legally) wasting as much time as possible.

So I think the ref just got annoyed with me for some reason. He said I had control of the ball when I parried and so it counts the same as catching it, so I wasn't allowed to pick it up after making the save.

Even if that rule is true (which I don't think it is), there's no way I was in control of the parry, it was a reflex save.

I got myself a booking by complaining that he'd got it wrong.

I must admit I didn't know that either.

It's in the Section "Cautions for unsporting behaviour". The keeper doesn't even have to handle it. The offence is in trying to circumvent the passback rule in the first place.

FIFA rules on p117"][if a player]

... uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own

goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law,

irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or

not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent

both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick

:cool:

One of our defenders got annoyed and said "Ben, at least give them a target!"

I still don't know what he meant.

:crylaugh:

Varying calls about positioning is a popular one at the moment. If a through ball gets played and I'm not immediately there to smother it, I'm not far enough off my line. If I get beaten from distance whilst off my line, I should have been stood on it.

Â